U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Emy

113 posts, read 359,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post
Welcome to NC. Just out of pure curiosity (not trying to be in anyone's face) why NC from LA?? As a west coaster myself, there are plenty of awesome, kid-friendly towns in Oregon, Washington and Idaho and you wouldn't be so far from LA. Just wondering. Very big difference between LA and NC.....not better or worse just different.
NC has a much better reputation as a place to raise a family than Oregon or Washington, although all are beautiful states. Southern hospitality and morals are other great reasons to move to NC. Unfortunately between this thread and another about transplants it seems that some(note I'm not saying all) of the Southern hospitality is not applied to transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,986 times
I was born and bred in the South Bay of LA and I can tell you it's not all rainbows, hearts and ponies there. In fact, some of the biggest racists I know are in my own family and are wealthy Los Angeles residents. I don't understand why you are considering Charlotte if you've heard so many horrible things about it. I was welcomed openly and I have a non-traditional family -- a son adopted from another country. Once again, newcomers would get a lot warmer welcome, at least online, if they were a little more discerning in their language. Southern folks do not take kindly to attitudes like yours. One Southern saying holds so much truth: you'll catch a lot more flies with honey...

Old 08-13-2007, 12:24 AM

52 posts, read 232,986 times
No offense, but I think some some of the responses to my question have been far ruder than the simple question itself.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:52 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,418,146 times
Seriously, LACAMOM, LET IT GO. The horse is dead, covered with flies, has rigormortis, yet you keep kicking it. MOVE ON.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:47 AM

197 posts, read 666,780 times
Depending on where you move here you may not have to worry about Southerners or southern hospitality. Many of the older, established neighborhoods have natives but most of the new subdivisions/new houses that seems to attract incoming folks are populated almost completely wtih transplants from all over the country.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:42 AM

16 posts, read 55,342 times
I was born and raised in NC, I have lived in a few major cities like NY, DC but I always seem to end up back here. As an AA male with two young daughters, I would say this is a pretty good place to work and play. There is racism here, and do not let anyone tell you differently, however, the people who do not like you will very much keep their distance from you. There are also quite a few AA cultural events that take place here every year also. I do not believe you will hear racial slurs from every car window, and honestly in my 37 yrs, I have heard my share, but that can pretty much be expected as I was born in 1970. What I consider a good thing about the South (some do not) is that you will know where you stand with someone almost immediately. If someone doesn't like you because of your race, or pretty much whatever reason, you will know it, they will not try to hide or disguise their feelings period as we have not the need for subtlety in the South, but rarely will you be subjected to any type of verbal abuse unless you just find yourself in the most backwards of areas which do exist. The biggest problem I had up North was with people who wanted to appear progressive in public, but had no problem trashing you when in like company, I would rather have someone dislike me and let me know it than to pretend. You will be fine here, but I don't believe you will ever find a racial utopia in the US where people only care about your character. Just to keep it balanced, you will find more than your share of minorities who are completely intolerant of others as well. I wrote this post assuming you are AA, excuse me if I am wrong.......

my .02

Old 08-13-2007, 12:41 PM

120 posts, read 332,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACAMOM View Post
Think I would like Portland or Seattle, but they're a little out of my price range these days. Also, coming from sunny CA I didn't think I could handle all the grey days. Plus I would be not as far from my Family in Mich/Florida..
LACAMOM, You have a right to have all of the concerns about North Carolina, my family expressed many concerns about me possibly relocting to the South in general. As I have done all of my research on Charlotte, I have to say that everyone on this board is so friendly and helpful to newbies considering relocation to Charlotte.

My suggestion is that you come visit and see it for yourself. I was in Raleigh, NC last month and had an awesome time. The folks were nice and courteous and this included the teenagers and even little small kids who even held department store doors for me exiting and entering. I was so blown away.

Come one down, book a hotel/air package and see it for yourself, then choose. It's a great place and folks are friendly. Dispel any hearsay that you may have a perception about. I am heading to Charlotte this weekend as a matter of fact and can't wait to get there. I think you will find a great sense of community and definitely a great home with a nice backyard for your son to play.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:17 PM

172 posts, read 527,198 times
I've been here since May. I do not miss New York. The people here are so friendly and accepting that I really don't get it when people say they feel unwelcome. I am friendly to everyone and have never had a negative reaction from anyone. Yeah I have heard "You're not from around here are you?" But I just laugh and say "Unfortunately not" and that's that. I love North Carolina. We moved here because our children and grandchildren are here. I wish we had done it years ago.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:56 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,601,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACAMOM View Post
I have heard there is, and coming from a liberal place like Los Angeles it's something that would want to make me pack my bags and go home! Please advise...
I've been here for just over a year. I've not seen/heard of any racial disharmony since moving to the Charlotte Metro area.

No, I take that back, the one racist comment I heard was from a woman originally from Florida who moved here the same time I did. And no, that doesn't mean that I'm implying that all Floridians are racist. And I don't even think that one woman is racist - just ill-mannered and in control of limited vocabulary.

Racism is everywhere - not just the south. Many people have said this, and it's true. Whether it's New York City, Charlotte, LA, New Orleans, Miami, London, Paris, Rome, Iraq, etc. - racism is EVERYWHERE.

It's how YOU live YOUR life that matters. And if you live your life accepting everyone - they'll accept you. At least, that has been MY experience.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:56 PM

101 posts, read 271,569 times
People are people.... no matter where you are... some good some bad. The bad always get more press then the good. You have to take each individual as an individual and throw out stereotypes.

From my personal experience I haven't had any problems, I have found everyone I have dealt with (excpet one rude lady at a shell when the air station ate my money), wonderful and very inviting. You show people respect, 99% of the time you will receive respect back. It doesnt matter where you are.... or who you dealing with.

In short... I have found South Charlotte to be one of the most inviting places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or