Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy1007 View Post
There is alot of racial tension in Charlotte that I haven't noticed in other areas that I have lived. There also seems to be alot of racial division in as far as their "mass transit" is concerned. Mostly, when I say "mass transit" in Charlotte, I am referring to busses... since they don't have any kind of rail system. Invariably, when I would glance at the bustops and into the busses, there was typically only ONE race using these services.. In other cities where I have used the bus system and mass transit, there is a wide variety of people.. not so in Charlotte... There also seems to be alot of underlying hatred beneath the surface.. Their New Year's celebrations had to be curtailed in the downtown area because of riots recently..

There are many gangs in Charlotte and the problem seems to be getting worse. I heard that the MS-13? latino gang is making Charlotte their new headquarters?? I haven't been able to substantiate that though.. but I DO know that the gang problem is growing and so is the racial tension..

Anyway... I didn't like the feeling I got from being in many areas of Charlotte -- there were alot of glares from angry people of several races.. Their Hip/Hop and rap scenes are pretty volatile also.. more "in your face" than in other places I have lived...

R
This claim is inaccurate I have celebrated New Years Uptown for numerous years and never seen any riot conditions. Show me documentation that New Years celebrations have been curtailed.

Also was stated there racial divide in the buses this also is inaccurate. One cannot make a accurate statement by judging a bus going by or a bus stop.
I have rode most routes and there is always a mix crowd riding each of those buses from most races and from blue collar, service workers and white collar.
This includes buses going to the East side, South Park South side, North and the suburbs.

Everything else is just a useless scare tactic that holds no water unless you can show the proof that there gangs making this a headquarters.

Underlying racial tension I have never seen this in general of the area. Im sure there individuals but that is true all over the country but not in the masses as it trying to be portrayed.

I think Charlotte and other metro cities in this state is a great place for all races due to the main divide between individuals is economic status.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-14-2007 at 12:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 07:13 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,638 times
I'm an AA who has lived in the Charlotte metro my entire life pretty much.

Do I know any locals who have been called the "n" word or any other racial slur (to their face)? Nah.

Have I been called the "n" word or any other racial slur to my face? Nope.

Have I been called the "n" word or any other racial slur online? Absolutely.

I think people have to have a considerable amount of balls to be that ignorant. When I'm off the screen, I am this big ole loveable adult child...I get along with everyone and I don't put myself in situations or around people where someone would challenge to use that word. Of course, that doesn't mean people won't use it. I don't frequent the Charlotte discussion forums that much, but from what I'm reading, people may disagree on certain things, but they are a reflection of an area that does not accept that word. I've known some whites who take more offense to that word than I would. Of course though, if someone said it to my face at the wrong moment, they'd have a busted lip and/or black eye to show for it. But don't tell anyone I said that

Overall though, this area's not perfect, but people here aren't disrespectful.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:22 PM

3,290 posts, read 9,187,103 times
Quote:
I'm an AA who has lived in the Charlotte metro my entire life pretty much.
I'm sorry but every time I"ve seen you type that, the first thing that comes to MY mind is Alcoholics Anon, Liz

Old 08-13-2007, 07:33 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
I'm sorry but every time I"ve seen you type that, the first thing that comes to MY mind is Alcoholics Anon, Liz
LMAO! Check me out on a Saturday night and I'm sure you would want to refer me to those good folks

Old 08-13-2007, 08:02 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin View Post
I was born and raised in NC, I have lived in a few major cities like NY, DC but I always seem to end up back here. As an AA male with two young daughters, I would say this is a pretty good place to work and play. There is racism here, and do not let anyone tell you differently, however, the people who do not like you will very much keep their distance from you. There are also quite a few AA cultural events that take place here every year also. I do not believe you will hear racial slurs from every car window, and honestly in my 37 yrs, I have heard my share, but that can pretty much be expected as I was born in 1970. What I consider a good thing about the South (some do not) is that you will know where you stand with someone almost immediately. If someone doesn't like you because of your race, or pretty much whatever reason, you will know it, they will not try to hide or disguise their feelings period as we have not the need for subtlety in the South, but rarely will you be subjected to any type of verbal abuse unless you just find yourself in the most backwards of areas which do exist. The biggest problem I had up North was with people who wanted to appear progressive in public, but had no problem trashing you when in like company, I would rather have someone dislike me and let me know it than to pretend. You will be fine here, but I don't believe you will ever find a racial utopia in the US where people only care about your character. Just to keep it balanced, you will find more than your share of minorities who are completely intolerant of others as well. I wrote this post assuming you are AA, excuse me if I am wrong.......

my .02
This is a good way of putting it. I'm a WM, lived here all of my 42 years of life, devout christian, and know the area well. It's not perect, but no area is. Just have reasonable expectations. People here get along well as long as steriotypes are left at the door. It's been decades since I've heard the "N" word anywhere here. This is a great place to live. You'll be welcomed as long as you show respect to others, don't go into the, "This is how we do it in LA...." thing (VERY bad no-no), and not give in to ANY steriotypes. Good luck and welcome!

Old 08-13-2007, 08:19 PM

43 posts, read 228,907 times
Umm...what is the "N" word?, I don't get it...And if it is what I think it is, what is the definition? Anyone know?

And what is the AA African American? So does that mean the person is from Africa? or America? seems that even if a person was born in Africa, but is a US citizen, then they would be just a plain ole American...So, what's the deal with that??... Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 08-13-2007, 08:20 PM

71 posts, read 287,276 times
I once had an elderly lady who was a Charlotte native refer to me as a yankee and I'm from Virginia! But no, I have found that most of the people I've met are transplants as well.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:22 PM

71 posts, read 287,276 times
I'd love to come so 1 adult...my dh is in Iraq and If I can't get a sitter two children.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 PM

52 posts, read 259,086 times
Hey Shoalin,
I'm actually caucasian, I just have a real problem with any discrimmination or racism, and I don't want my son exposed to it. I want him to grow up around as much harmonious diversity as possible...it's something I hope to find while looking for the right preschool and neighborhood (if I end up in Charlotte or otherwise.) I'm happy to hear in general there is no overt discrimminaiton other than the bad apples you will find in every city.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:50 AM

16 posts, read 61,076 times
Good luck to you LACAMOM,

Charlotte is a very diverse city and becoming more diverse every day, I have made my home here and I could have lived just about anywhere I wanted. I guess that says more than my previous post, Charlotte would love to have you........

Regards,

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte