Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:40 AM

870 posts, read 3,528,867 times

Advertisements

Please stop posting stories from the Charlotte Disturber. They are mostly misleading only to get citizens talking when in fact the truths are hidden.
Find out the truth before using them as a source of facts since they don't even check the facts themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 07:28 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Please stop posting stories from the Charlotte Disturber. They are mostly misleading only to get citizens talking when in fact the truths are hidden.
Find out the truth before using them as a source of facts since they don't even check the facts themselves.
Do you have any recommendations on alternate sources of information? That would be helpful.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:30 AM

214 posts, read 399,394 times
I think everyone knows to take most of those stories with a grain of salt. Obviously there will be biases, slants, and wrong info. I think the purpose of the OP of the threads is to get the story out there so we all know some or part of the situation going on in our community...whether it is completely or partially true. It's good to stay updated, but I guess it is up to each person to dig deeper to find out more.

I've had the same feeling as you a few times until I realized the OP of the thread is just trying to inform us of situations, not spew it as fact.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:43 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
+1

Old 07-29-2011, 07:48 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Gets people talking huh? We just can't have that can we? Geesh.....

When I post an article for the CO, I add that in the thread title. You do have the option of not opening the thread and reading it. Or further putting me on ignore, either way bothers me not. With that said.....get over it.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:48 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp1983 View Post
I've had the same feeling as you a few times until I realized the OP of the thread is just trying to inform us of situations, not spew it as fact.
We're all adults, perfectly capable of going to the Observer website and reading stories for ourselves. This site is for information about relocation and services, not for reposting every single negative news story that comes along. It's gotten really old. Maybe there can be a sticky with a link to the Observer or something, to appease those that have trouble going to Charlotte News Panthers Bobcats Sports Banking | CharlotteObserver.com on their own.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:54 AM

214 posts, read 399,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
We're all adults, perfectly capable of going to the Observer website and reading stories for ourselves. This site is for information about relocation and services, not for reposting every single negative news story that comes along. It's gotten really old. Maybe there can be a sticky with a link to the Observer or something, to appease those that have trouble going to Charlotte News Panthers Bobcats Sports Banking | CharlotteObserver.com on their own.

As an adult, you should also be able discern when you should and shouldn't click on a thread topic to read it. Nobody forces anyone to read anything on this forum. Some of the people relocating may want to see these articles. I don't know. I can see both sides of the argument.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
With that said.....get over it.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Do you have any recommendations on alternate sources of information? That would be helpful.
A few (I know time is short for most of us but sparing a few minutes here and there is a great way to understand what is taking place in Charlotte). I learn more from my friends who are active in different organizations -

If you really want to know what is going on in the schools, get involved in local school activities. Go to a school board meeting once in a while, especially budget meetings. Join the teachers and parents in their meetings. Volunteer in a school. Help adopt a school. See what is really going on.

Go to a city council meeting once in a while to hear what is going on in the community.
Stay active in the community.

The Observer is so one sided and off base in a lot of their reporting. All of section 1 is copied from news sources outside of Charlotte. Like I care what Lindsey or Paris or Kim are doing? It is hard to get real local news from a paper that is looking like People Magazine more and more and getting rid of reporters to save money.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Gets people talking huh? We just can't have that can we? Geesh.....

When I post an article for the CO, I add that in the thread title. You do have the option of not opening the thread and reading it. Or further putting me on ignore, either way bothers me not. With that said.....get over it.

Getting a little testy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: