Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 11:27 AM

116 posts, read 268,716 times

Advertisements

I just got an offer from Wells Fargo and need to move to Charlotte in a week. I have a house in Cary and think for now will be driving down on Mondays and coming back on Fridays. .
I am thinking about staying in downtown so it is close to work and also probably good dining options (important as according to my wife I am very picky). Trying to decide between staying in a hotel for now or rent a studio or small apartment so I can crash there during week days.
I am not familliar with Charlotte and was hoping could get some recommendations from you guys. Any nice hotel downtown that I could get a good rate (below $80 per night)?

Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:57 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
You will not get a hotel room in downtown Charlotte for that rate.

You can use some of the travel sites just to get an idea of what the rates are, but the hotels are higher end, also we have pre-season football starting in 3 weeks, so rates will be at a premium for that as well.

Good luck.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:36 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
I tried Hotwire.com and found 1 downtown hotel for $82 a night. That suggests there are very few options in that range.

I would ask WF what they recommend. You're not the first person in your situation, and they probably have arrangements or even corporate apartments you might have access to.

$80 x 20 (nights per month) = $1600. I know you can find a furnished apartment for less than that. I don't know about a short term lease, although I'm sure (as I mentioned above) you're not the first person to come to town and need reasonable accommodations for a short term.

Here's one (the last one) I found in a quick search:

Properties - Available Furnished Apartments in Uptown Charlotte - Furnished Corporate Apartments in Uptown Charlotte NC Temporary Housing

Old 07-29-2011, 06:59 PM

22 posts, read 30,812 times
Default Charlotte living options

You will only find hotels at your price point outside of Uptown (downtown). I'm waiting to move into a rental in Uptown. In the meantime I am staying at an Extended Stay hotel just south of Charlotte (link below). If you find any place just off of South Blvd you can take the LYNX light rail into Uptown. A weekly pass is $17.50 for unlimited rides. The train ride will be 10-20 minutes depending on where you get on and the trains run every 10 minutes around rush hour.

Charlotte - Tyvola Rd., Overview - Extended Stay America

Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 PM

Default A More Pricey Option

I took a look at this place. It is well maintained and nicely furnished. All utilities + a parking place is included. Avenue (210 N Church) is probably the nicest condo high rise downtown and just a few blocks from the Wells Fargo buildings.

210 N Church Street Unit: 1613 Charlotte NC - Home for Rent - MLS #2030332 - Realtor.com®

There is also a furnished rental on the market at 5th and Poplar.

300 5th Street Unit: 441 Charlotte NC - Home for Rent - MLS #2029767 - Realtor.com®

Old 07-29-2011, 07:36 PM

488 posts, read 798,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majidmo View Post
I just got an offer from Wells Fargo and need to move to Charlotte in a week. I have a house in Cary and think for now will be driving down on Mondays and coming back on Fridays. .
I am thinking about staying in downtown so it is close to work and also probably good dining options (important as according to my wife I am very picky). Trying to decide between staying in a hotel for now or rent a studio or small apartment so I can crash there during week days.
I am not familliar with Charlotte and was hoping could get some recommendations from you guys. Any nice hotel downtown that I could get a good rate (below $80 per night)?

Thanks a bunch.
Once you start work you can check the corporate rates - you will find WF gets a pretty good discount and many of the hotels will honor the rate for you. Welcome to Charlotte and Wells!

Old 07-30-2011, 12:02 PM

116 posts, read 268,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasternerer View Post
I took a look at this place. It is well maintained and nicely furnished. All utilities + a parking place is included. Avenue (210 N Church) is probably the nicest condo high rise downtown and just a few blocks from the Wells Fargo buildings.

210 N Church Street Unit: 1613 Charlotte NC - Home for Rent - MLS #2030332 - Realtor.com®

There is also a furnished rental on the market at 5th and Poplar.

300 5th Street Unit: 441 Charlotte NC - Home for Rent - MLS #2029767 - Realtor.com®
Thanks so much. These are exactly what I was looking for and I was able to find a few more units for rent on Craigslist.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:08 PM

If you are willing to furnish a place, Catalyst (an apartment complex with amenities that match the condos) and 230 S Tryon are so close to the Wells buildings you can roll out of bed and into your office.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 12,032 times
Default Lynx yes, apt yes good luck

In the meantime I am staying at an Extended Stay hotel just south of Charlotte (link below). If you find any place just off of South Blvd you can take the LYNX light rail into Uptown. A weekly pass is $17.50 for unlimited rides. The train ride will be 10-20 minutes depending on where you get on and the trains run every 10 minutes around rush hour.

Charlotte - Tyvola Rd., Overview - Extended Stay America[/quote]

Extended stay is ok if you have the time to cook and bring your own pans. The last time we had to ask for a pan and then there was no cooking oil. The other problem is that you never get maid service.

When we visited Charlotte we stayed at a hotel just off the Lynx line and it was really handy. We were surprised at the 20 minute commute. In Portland it takes 45 to an hour.

The idea of a monthly lease is really a good one too. We did that in our travels and it worked out well. Good luck. Josef

Old 04-06-2016, 05:50 PM

7 posts, read 62,121 times
Check out Center City Suites in uptown Charlotte. They have fully furnished condos in the city with rates starting at around $50/night and they offer month-to-month, 3 and 6 month leases. You can find more information here: www.centercitysuites.com/html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte