Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
i didn't know this. Thanks. How do the labels differ?
I recommend looking at the archives of Consumer's Reports. They posted this once. Back in the day, when this area used to sew up shirts for Lacoste, Izod, Alligator, etc etc, you could go to the real outlet for these mills and purchase items that didn't pass the QC process for the retailers that bought them. They would clip the label as not to upset the very upscale retailers who sold these clothes at high prices. The outlets would then would sell them for pennies on the dollar. These were the true outlets and there used to be numerous ones around Charlotte. These don't exist now.

(I remember a very popular one in Clover that was in an old cinder block building.)

These days, the major clothing brands, who moved production to China, Indonesia, India, Maylasia, etc etc, co-opted the idea and created these "outlet malls" to sell items that are produced at much lower quality than what is found at their flagship stores. They are profiteering off some Americans emotional needs to buy brands. You will get an item made with cheaper thread, cloth, etc over going to a regular store. By the time you add in the costs of driving, it's not a deal at all.

Last edited by yantosh22; 08-02-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 11:24 AM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
I usually find better deals at Marshall's and Ross than the outlet mall for brand name women clothes. I don't shop for kids stuff often but I think the outlet has better deals.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:56 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I usually find better deals at Marshall's and Ross than the outlet mall for brand name women clothes. I don't shop for kids stuff often but I think the outlet has better deals.
Oh yeah, Marshall's/TJ Maxx/Ross, etc. have excellent deals.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:45 PM

119 posts, read 247,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
i didn't know this. Thanks. How do the labels differ?
In my personal experience, I've never had an issue with the "factory store" merchandise. It's all been just as good as the real store - but the selection has been more of wardrobe "staples" than anything that stands out.

I know in Brooks Brothers Outlets, the shirts say Brooks Brothers 346 on the tag instead of the regular BB logo. I have non-iron shirts from Brooks Brothers, and ones from the outlet, and I cannot tell a difference in the fabric or quality. Brooks Brothers makes the 346 shirts in less-tailored, one-size-fits-more sizes (i.e. you can't buy shirts with 36" or 37" length arms - they combine them into one size of 36.5") and 346 typically only carries somewhat plain shirts (i.e. white, light blue, striped - you won't find pink and green plaid).

Same goes for Banana Republic - for picking up a pair of khakis or something that is somewhat of a wardrobe staple, I haven't had an issue with the quality of anything.

I also buy most all of my polos from the Polo Ralph Lauren factory store and I cannot tell a difference at all - in fact I couldn't even tell you which ones in my closet I bought for $78 at Belk and which ones I bought for $39 at the factory store. I have noticed that the color of the Polo/horse logo on the shirts in the factory store is different than in retail stores, but this is different for each color shirt. You'd have to be really picky and somewhat obsessive to figure out that a black shirt with a purple horse means "factory store" while a black shirt with a green horse means "full price".

Old 08-03-2011, 10:35 AM

821 posts, read 1,853,696 times
The simple answer is "no" based on personal experience. Prices there can be found in or around Charlotte if one shops. Outlets used to be bargain places to shop, but our experience has been that one can find the same or better prices closer to home if you live in Charlotte.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:36 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottclt View Post
I also buy most all of my polos from the Polo Ralph Lauren factory store and I cannot tell a difference at all - in fact I couldn't even tell you which ones in my closet I bought for $78 at Belk and which ones I bought for $39 at the factory store. I have noticed that the color of the Polo/horse logo on the shirts in the factory store is different than in retail stores, but this is different for each color shirt. You'd have to be really picky and somewhat obsessive to figure out that a black shirt with a purple horse means "factory store" while a black shirt with a green horse means "full price".
If you catch the correct combination of 'end of season clearance', coupons, and discount for using a Belk card, you can find Polo golf shirts and dress shirts as low as $25. It's like finding a solar eclipse, but it can be done.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:33 AM

841 posts, read 2,474,819 times
Thanks for all the responses!

Old 08-04-2011, 06:46 AM

407 posts, read 851,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottclt View Post
In my personal experience, I've never had an issue with the "factory store" merchandise. It's all been just as good as the real store
I also buy most all of my polos from the Polo Ralph Lauren factory store and I cannot tell a difference at all - in fact I couldn't even tell you which ones in my closet I bought for $78 at Belk and which ones I bought for $39 at the factory store.
But then why would anyone pay full price for a P RL polo shirt. I have found some great sale prices on these at Belk's in the past. Maybe just lucky. Also have found some great P RL & Brooks Brothers shirts at the outlets. Not always 346, but two of my favorite BB's are 346.
Gaffney outlets more of a drive than to Concord Mills but much more pleasant shopping.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:57 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmd70 View Post
But then why would anyone pay full price for a P RL polo shirt. I have found some great sale prices on these at Belk's in the past. Maybe just lucky. Also have found some great P RL & Brooks Brothers shirts at the outlets. Not always 346, but two of my favorite BB's are 346.
Gaffney outlets more of a drive than to Concord Mills but much more pleasant shopping.
People pay full price due to laziness, ignorance, immediate need or having money to burn. That goes for anything you have to buy.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:11 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
People pay full price due to laziness, ignorance, immediate need or having money to burn. That goes for anything you have to buy.
This is absolutely true. It's a new hobby of mine to see what I can find and for how cheap. One thing I'm becoming a huge fan of: AUCTIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
If you catch the correct combination of 'end of season clearance', coupons, and discount for using a Belk card, you can find Polo golf shirts and dress shirts as low as $25. It's like finding a solar eclipse, but it can be done.
Stumbled across some nice Columbia tees at Belk's the other day. Regular $22 on sale for $8. I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte