Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 PM

985 posts, read 1,894,002 times

Advertisements

to help get rid of them?

My daughter and her friend sprayed deep woods off on (we needed it for a trip we had gone on) and they still attacked through.

Seems there is not much else to do, unless anyone has a better idea.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 05:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,384,398 times
Being girls I would assume they might been wearing perfumes or hair spray and this attracts mosquitoes.

Take B1 or garlic supplement.

If barbequing throw sage or rosemary on the coals

Or attract bats.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:03 PM

985 posts, read 1,894,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Being girls I would assume they might been wearing perfumes or hair spray and this attracts mosquitoes.

Take B1 or garlic supplement.

If barbequing throw sage or rosemary on the coals

Or attract bats.
no they were practicing volleyball and they like the CO2 I know that, no perfume even in our house, no hair spray on either girl. Today my son was eaten alive.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:27 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,167,437 times
All the aforementioned options, plus look into a Mosquito Magnet. I bought one 4 months ago, and not only are there almost no mosquitoes in my backyard, but my neighbor has reclaimed their backyard as well.

I see bats most evenings as well, but they weren't doing the job well enough to let me or my neighbors sit outside at night without it becoming a mosquito prevention event. I've read that bats often don't take to bathouses quickly, so that may not be a short term solution.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,279,487 times
Dragonflies eat a whole lot more mosquito than bats.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:55 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,551,024 times
No, but Alfred helped me build the bat cave....

Wow, I had no idea that bats were used to get rid of skeeters. They don't bother me too much as they don't cotton to my blood type so they go after my wife instead.

Using bats to get rid of mosquitoes seems to me to be a choice between West Nile or rabies.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:04 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,167,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
No, but Alfred helped me build the bat cave....

Wow, I had no idea that bats were used to get rid of skeeters. They don't bother me too much as they don't cotton to my blood type so they go after my wife instead.

Using bats to get rid of mosquitoes seems to me to be a choice between West Nile or rabies.
Bats can eat their body weight in mosquitoes daily. They generally don't come out until dusk or later, so they don't cross paths with people very often. And they have no interest in people. So that's why they are useful for mosquito control.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Bats can eat their body weight in mosquitoes daily. They generally don't come out until dusk or later, so they don't cross paths with people very often. And they have no interest in people. So that's why they are useful for mosquito control.
Land's sake, one can learn something new every day.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:39 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,552,063 times
Bats are great for mosquito control. At my old house it was fun to watch them, this time of year. We had little brown bats, for the most part. Around this time of year mom & dad would bring the babies out to practice flying & hunting. My backyard & an adjoining yard were just right for having mosquitos & moths (another delicacy) & they'd fly & tumble around in the air. One night a hoary bat went zooming through the group.

They're around here, but not as used to people. (Wish I could say the same for the groundhog out back.)

Old 08-02-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Bats are great for mosquito control. At my old house it was fun to watch them, this time of year. We had little brown bats, for the most part. Around this time of year mom & dad would bring the babies out to practice flying & hunting. My backyard & an adjoining yard were just right for having mosquitos & moths (another delicacy) & they'd fly & tumble around in the air. One night a hoary bat went zooming through the group.

They're around here, but not as used to people. (Wish I could say the same for the groundhog out back.)
When I was a yute, my parents used to tell us to go play the radio in the yard becuase it would screw up the bats sonar and they would fly around like crazy. I think they were just trying to get us out of the house. Anyway, that's about the extent of my knowledge of bats except for what guano is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: