Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 06:52 PM

30 posts, read 98,161 times

Advertisements

A few things that I would like to know that hold no weight in my decision making on moving to Charlotte......

1) I know the population has to be full of Duke and UNC fans. I happen to be a Duke basketball fan. What is the dominate fan base in Charlotte between the schools? Just curious.

2) I am also a huge Philadelphia Eagles fan. Any Eagles fans down in Charlotte? Maybe some bars or get together spots on Sundays for the games?

3) Here in Richmond it is rare to have a "big name" headline a concert here. Usually have to drive 2 hours to either DC or VA Beach. Rock bands? Country bands? Or is the normal thing to do is to drive a few hours down the road?

Thanks for the input..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 07:00 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
Let me speak to the concerts: All the big names come here. And I mean all of them. I have seen this year alone Chili Peppers, Alan Jackson, Brooks and Dunn, Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Aerosmith, Toby Keith, John Mayer, and more. I have seen the Rolling Stones twice in Charlotte as well as Elton John, Jimmy Buffett and a million others. If there is a major tour, chances are it will come to Charlotte. The two venues are the outdoor Verizon Ampitheater and the uptown Bobcats Arena. The Josh Groban concert was postponed, so I'll be seeing that soon too.

I'll tell ya, Charlotte is awesome!

Old 08-12-2007, 07:03 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Wow kmway, I guess I don't get out much! I had no idea those names were all here this last year!

Oh, yeah, that's right, I have 3 young children and I am broke.....never mind.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Let me speak to the concerts: All the big names come here. And I mean all of them. I have seen this year alone Chili Peppers, Alan Jackson, Brooks and Dunn, Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Aerosmith, Toby Keith, John Mayer, and more. I have seen the Rolling Stones twice in Charlotte as well as Elton John, Jimmy Buffett and a million others. If there is a major tour, chances are it will come to Charlotte. The two venues are the outdoor Verizon Ampitheater and the uptown Bobcats Arena. The Josh Groban concert was postponed, so I'll be seeing that soon too.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:14 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,401,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post

Either Charlotte or Raleigh but definitely Charlotte with the bigger name acts. The country acts don't go up north all that much but the rock acts always find their way down here.

If anything I caught my boys Widespread Panic more times here in the last three months than I have in any given year.

But damn Kenny Chesney for fudgin' up my ride home when he played the Verizon. Talk about a traffic jam on 49 and Tryon the night of that show. I became a hater in 0.6 second flat.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:18 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Just check out TicketMaster to see what is listed. I found 41 MUSIC events in the Charlotte area in the next 60 days. Liz

Old 08-12-2007, 09:47 PM

348 posts, read 429,922 times
Two or three years ago, the hubby and I got Bruce Springsteen tickets in Charlotte. There were actually tickets still available the day OF the show. We were shocked, because in Jersey/NY he sells out stadiums in 5 minutes flat. So we ended up with great seats without the hassle!

:-)

Old 08-13-2007, 05:32 AM

69 posts, read 277,463 times
In answer to your question about sports fans: there are LOTS of Carolina fans here, though you can find fans from all the ACC teams if you look hard enough. Don't worry--we Dukies hold our own!

Theresa

Old 08-13-2007, 06:49 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Wow kmway, I guess I don't get out much! I had no idea those names were all here this last year!

Oh, yeah, that's right, I have 3 young children and I am broke.....never mind.

Dawn
Haha, I have a killer ticket hook-up, that's why I get to go.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:09 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
I was just there Friday night for the Allman Brothers, and about a month ago for Rush. We're planning to go to the "Def Leppard, Styx, and Foreigner" show in a few weeks. Two tickets are $148.00. Yikes!!

Old 08-13-2007, 09:12 AM

29 posts, read 96,759 times
To echo Tathems,

You'll find fans of many ACC schools here... I'd proably guess that Carolina has the largest fan-base here (Go Heels!), but you'll find no shortage of Devils, Deacons, and Wolf-Pack fans here as well. I know a few bars for several of them, but I'm not yet sure if there is a "Duke-fan" bar or not. Nevertheless, the Devils and Heels seem to coexist relatively peacefully where I hang out at Picasso's in Uptown. If you're dying to find an all Duke bar, you could take a shot in the dark and try emailing Jay Bilas about it as he is a Charlotte resident and ought to know of one.

As for the Eagles, I have met some Eagles fans here but don't know of an Eagles bar yet. I've found a Bills bar, but for the most part, people 'round here pull for the Panthers. If you happen to find a Dolphins bar in your search, let me know... though I suspect that no such place exists around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte