U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 05:28 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,792,443 times

Advertisements

I couldn't find the old topic on this, so I started another one about vegetable gardening.

It's approximately 90 days until the average first frost date in Charlotte. This means there is plenty of time to start a 2nd summer garden if you like as most summer vegetables have harvest dates of 90 days or less. The big advantage of gardening this time of year is that bugs and weeds will be much much less than in the spring. You can still plant tomatoes, beans, cucumbers, zucchini, any herb, practically anything that you plant in the spring if you get it done in the next few days. Keep it watered until this heat breaks and enjoy vegetables throughout the fall.

It's also time to start considering a fall and winter garden. Due to the mild weather here, a number of vegetables will last until the hard freezes get here in late January. This would include anything in the cole family such a cabbages, & broccoli. you can also plant lettuce, swiss chard, greens (mustard, collards, turnips), and so forth. Many of these will produce all fall long as long as you maintain them. If you like hard neck garlic which is almost impossible to buy locally, you can plant this in the fall too. Because of the very warm weather here, you will want to wait until late November to do this for harvest in the early summer 2012. You will need to order the bulbs online. I recommend the Russian and German red varieties. Once you harvest them, they will last all year.

People who garden live longer and are healthier. So get out there and start something even if it is one pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 06:49 AM

686 posts, read 1,417,789 times
Thanks for the reminder, and the push to do this!!
I have always had a summer garden, but really want a year round garden. I am going to try it!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:09 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,055,983 times
Thanks. I have pretty much given up on what I have now since this oppressive heat and will start again with some new and different plants.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:49 AM

21,966 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
I couldn't find the old topic on this, so I started another one about vegetable gardening.

It's approximately 90 days until the average first frost date in Charlotte. This means there is plenty of time to start a 2nd summer garden if you like as most summer vegetables have harvest dates of 90 days or less. The big advantage of gardening this time of year is that bugs and weeds will be much much less than in the spring. You can still plant tomatoes, beans, cucumbers, zucchini, any herb, practically anything that you plant in the spring if you get it done in the next few days. Keep it watered until this heat breaks and enjoy vegetables throughout the fall.

It's also time to start considering a fall and winter garden. Due to the mild weather here, a number of vegetables will last until the hard freezes get here in late January. This would include anything in the cole family such a cabbages, & broccoli. you can also plant lettuce, swiss chard, greens (mustard, collards, turnips), and so forth. Many of these will produce all fall long as long as you maintain them. If you like hard neck garlic which is almost impossible to buy locally, you can plant this in the fall too. Because of the very warm weather here, you will want to wait until late November to do this for harvest in the early summer 2012. You will need to order the bulbs online. I recommend the Russian and German red varieties. Once you harvest them, they will last all year.

People who garden live longer and are healthier. So get out there and start something even if it is one pot.
Here ya go. a search on garden or gardening would bring it up. Go ahead & put a link to your thread in it. Landscaping & gardening tips for newcomers to the Charlotte area - Part 3

Old 08-04-2011, 06:06 PM

983 posts, read 2,176,557 times
Thank you for starting this thread, I was about to ask. My zucchini was eaten by bugs and I want to have a second chance at growing zucchini. I am going to check out the stores and see what they have to plant. I stopped at HD and didn't find much last weekend. I will check out Lowe's, maybe they have something.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:19 PM

You might also want to check out Walmart and Ace hardware for seeds. Depending on what you are looking for, you might try ordering from Park Seed Company. They are in SC so stuff gets here pretty fast.

Make sure you check the dates on the seeds. I've seen Lowes, just this year, selling last year's seeds.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:30 PM

^^^ thanks for the tip. I didn't know that now is a good time to start seeds? which seeds have the best chances to germinate? isn't better to start seedlings instead of seeds?

Old 08-05-2011, 04:30 AM

Right now you can directly plant cucumbers, zuchinni and beans in the ground, you can do the plants too if you can find them. I've started some cabbage and broccoli in small planters to be transplanted in early September. If you don't want to do this, you can find flats of them for sale in August and later.

(You can make planters out of news paper and fill them with seed starting mix.)

I would try going to the smaller places and avoid Lowes and HD for plants. They have gone to the fairly expensive larger sizes and sometimes their stuff is abused or has a plant disease. If you are on the North side, there is a great plant and seed store in Mooresville. There might be similar in other parts of the metro.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the tip yantosh, CD didn't allow me to add more rep, have to spread the love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte