U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:05 AM

16 posts, read 53,744 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Charlotte we are currently living off the plaza between midwood and Noda. I moved here from a rural area in Southern MI. so believe me I am by no way used to city life. My wife and I are already adjusting to our new lifestyle. After talking with several of our neibors who have lived in this area for years I felt much better. I think it would be a great area for open minded younger couples not quite ready for children. My biggest complaint is people who drive 50 mph down our 25 mph street! Our favorite thing so far is the dog bar in noda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 07:52 PM

5 posts, read 6,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggers View Post
I just moved to Charlotte we are currently living off the plaza between midwood and Noda. I moved here from a rural area in Southern MI. so believe me I am by no way used to city life. My wife and I are already adjusting to our new lifestyle. After talking with several of our neibors who have lived in this area for years I felt much better. I think it would be a great area for open minded younger couples not quite ready for children. My biggest complaint is people who drive 50 mph down our 25 mph street! Our favorite thing so far is the dog bar in noda.
Great to hear positive feedback about this area. Me and my wife are moving down from dc, and I want something close to downtown. After watching how dc was gentrified and a lot of people missed the boat, i wont make the same mistake twice.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:46 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,624,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maomobile View Post
Great to hear positive feedback about this area. Me and my wife are moving down from dc, and I want something close to downtown. After watching how dc was gentrified and a lot of people missed the boat, i wont make the same mistake twice.
If I might offer a suggestion...since you are intent on looking in an area that is a bit riskier, when you find a particular home come back here and post the street you are thinking of buying on. Give those of us with some knowledge of the area a chance to give you our imput. Otherwise, you may be really sorry in the end if you don't find out as much as possible before you buy.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,138 times
Merry Oaks is a great neighborhood. It's currently seeing a lot of interest at all levels. I have owned there since 96 and at first things seemed to be stalled. Latley a number of new projects have been proposed replacing large, 60's and 70's era apartment complexes that currently serve lower income families. One is a multi acre project in a parcel that is bordered almost completly by Merry Oaks. Another project is directly across Central Ave. Both projects will raise income levels in the area. Because the total number of new rooftops and the number of raising incomes will exceed the number of existing homes in Merry Oaks, the place is bound to see a boost in home prices similar to other parts of the downtown area. A lot of people with very deep pockets are banking on the fact that this area is set for renewal.

Forget home prices. Merry Oaks is just a beautiful place. Large front yards (unlike most of downtown chlt.) A new greenway connects Merry Oaks to Plazza Midwood making it possible to walk through both neighbordhoods to the Plaza Central shopping and entertainment area. It's minutes from downtown with almost no rush hour backup on Central Ave. There is also the possibility of street cars running along Central Ave in the future and serving the neighborhood.

I would consider Merry Oaks a very safe investment at this point. No riskier than Elizabeth, Dilworth and Plaza Midwood were in the 70's and 80's. And no riskier than Chantilly and NoDa were in the 90's. All of these places have seen an excellent return on the risk.

Merry Oaks also has had a very active and concerned Neighborhood Association for many years helping pave the way for future growth and stability. The buzz about Merry Oaks neighborhood is being fueled by recent gains in home prices and local realators "discovery" of the place. Merry Oaks has also seen a recent increase in home expansions in the past year or so much like some of the places I spoke of above.

Good luck to anyone moving to the downtown ring neighborhoods from out of town. You're sure to find something at your price level in one of the hoods mentioned above.

For the curious, if you listed them by price starting with the lowest it would go...
Merry Oaks, NoDa, Chantilly, Elizabeth & Plaza Midwood, and Dilworth. (obviously some exceptions apply). There are other downtown neighborhoods but these are the ones I have been around for 27 years.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:33 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,723,788 times
You need to be careful in any inner-city neighborhod. Whether it be Plaza-Midwood, NODA, Chantilly, Elizabeth, SouthEnd, Dilworth, Wesley Heights, and any of the Wards (1st, 3rd, 4th).

Just exercise good judgement and be aware of your surroundings at all times. Remember you can't trust anyone this day & age.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-14-2008, 10:07 AM

210 posts, read 541,569 times
Default crime vs commute

Would be interesting to look at whether it's more dangerous to live in an area with higher crime vs. commuting further from area with lower crime. I guess you'd need to look at deaths/injuries from crime in closer neighborhoods versus deaths/injuries per mile driven. (Leaving aside other risks to physical/mental health caused by commuting.)

I have no idea what the answer would be in terms of the balance -- my point is only that moving further away from city is not a direct tradeoff. You're substituting risks, not eliminating them entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte