U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 06:51 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,857,943 times

Advertisements

DH and I spent the day in Charlotte on Saturday trying to get to know some neighborhoods in the city and the surrounding areas.

We are intrigued by the NoDa/Merry Oaks area. I understand that these areas are revitalizing and changing and would like to know what Charlotteans think of these areas. All thoughts, positive and negative, are welcomed.

The reason behind this question is because we are a couple in our early 30s (we don't have any children) that would like to purchase our first home together, but we're not sure if we're quite ready for the big 4 bedroom house in the suburbs. Besides, after years of apartment living, that house would be most empty and unfurnished *lol*. Seriously, we want a small single family home with good bones.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 07:14 AM

34 posts, read 139,378 times
Don't know Merry Oaks but NoDa is growing. My wife and I looked to purchase over there but didn't feel safe. It is still in the transition phase and has the whole Art thing going, but it will take a least 5 years to get to that next level. You should do a little more driving around the area and in the evenings. We have friends that live there and in Plaza Midwood but we were unwilling to risk our safety for a chance to make $$$. It is going to be a nice area one day, but getting to and from involves driving through some sketchy areas. Just my opinion.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:49 AM

29 posts, read 88,951 times
ctribucher,

NoDa and Merry Oaks are growing quickly. That may be a good are to look in, although, as Wolfpack suggested, there is probably a greater crime risk there. My friends over in the Midwood/Merry Oaks area seem to feel that this is mostly limited to petty theft and that if they lock their outdoor stuff up and don't leave things in their cars, it is otherwise pretty safe. My friends in NoDa have a slightly greater concern of muggings and the like, though I can't say for certain if this is warranted or just a matter of "talk."

The Charlotte/Mecklenburg police department has a mapping system that will show you all the calls placed in a given area over a given period of time, so for unbiased information, I would check that out. The address is Community Crime Information System

As for the other things you're looking for, I think you're looking in good areas. You also might consider checking out Midwood, Commonwealth, and Chantilly as you might find something that fits your needs there as well.

Good luck.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:29 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,857,943 times
Thank you, Wolfpack2002 and ABBiek, for your posts.

ABBiek, I'm playing around with the PD mapping system link you provided. This is very helpful, especially to someone that is unfamiliar with the city and specific areas.

Safety is always a concern when looking into buying a home. We aren't interested in buying a home, rehabbing it, and flipping it -- we'd be buying and living in it! So thanks again for this link.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:45 PM

120 posts, read 332,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack2002 View Post
Don't know Merry Oaks but NoDa is growing. My wife and I looked to purchase over there but didn't feel safe. It is still in the transition phase and has the whole Art thing going, but it will take a least 5 years to get to that next level. You should do a little more driving around the area and in the evenings. We have friends that live there and in Plaza Midwood but we were unwilling to risk our safety for a chance to make $$$. It is going to be a nice area one day, but getting to and from involves driving through some sketchy areas. Just my opinion.
Wolfpack, what town and area did you and your wife settle on moving to?

Old 08-13-2007, 01:47 PM

34 posts, read 139,378 times
We ended up buying in Southpark. Found a great deal and are very excited.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 25,295 times
NODA is too risky right now. You may have a nice home but on the other end of the street there is a drug bust or a prostitute or something like that.
Ayway here are some good ones close to downtown
Collins park
Madison Park
Cotswold
Elizabeth
Dilworth
Common wealth
Chantilly
Midwood

Old 08-20-2007, 05:33 PM

64 posts, read 342,959 times
Well one of my first impressions of NoDa is that it was the only place all over the county I saw people shooting heroin off to the side of the bridge. Um.

One of my friends who works part time at Neighborhood Theater LOVES NoDa. He is a pretty big guy and says "don't walk along the railroad tracks - ever". Some kids half his age had the idea to jump him but thought twice... anyways...

There are from what I hear a lot of couple like you buying homes there. It seems like it might become a better area, though I am not from here so I wouldn't claim to be an authority. All I know is that if you want kids in the future, the schools around there do not seem like anything I'd ever want my child in. If it were just me and my fiance, no kids, I'd probably say to hell with it & at least consider it.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:35 PM

28 posts, read 125,630 times
i heard chantilly was nice ... had co-worker who lives there and loves it... other than that, NoDa is still up and coming

Old 08-28-2007, 03:19 PM

330 posts, read 931,767 times
For what it is worth, I came to NoDA with great expectations and bought a truly amazing house. I loved the NoDA "Downtown," its proximity to Uptown and the vibe I got from the community. I blew off a lot of the great advice that I received from people on this board about crime in the area, to my own detriment.

There has been at least one crime on my street (very small side street) every other week since we have moved here. Sunday night I was injured while trying to help prevent a breakin in progress across the street from me. I have gone from never having touched a gun to owning three and looking to get a conceal carry permit.

I do not want to cast dispersions on the neighborhood as a whole, but if you are looking to buy here, my advice would be to buy on a street that is fully "Transitioned." If there are ANY section 8 homes on the street ... run away, don't just walk.

I am now looking to pack up and get out, as the safety of my family is more important to me than money. If I was single it would be "Worth" the risk. I am not, and while I am not living in fear for myself (like I said, I am very well armed now) I do worry for my wife who would be far more reluctant to protect herself than I would.

Living here for the past six months has taught me a lot of lessons in priorities. I moved here from Marietta, GA, where my biggest complaint was everyone asking me what church I go to all the time. Now I have decided that living next door to religious folks is far more desirable than living next door to crackheads who steal shoes that are left on the porch to dry. I will lose a lot of money in unloading this house, I am sure, but the sooner we are out the better off we will be.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte