Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 03:33 PM

529 posts, read 1,203,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I'm sticking with "sad" as the major thought here but . . . [/url]
It is very sad. The thief made a series of horrible decisions that led to not just her death, but that of a child.

I, too, gloat when a petty criminal is busted under "karmic" circumstances, but when deaths are involved, there is no mirth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 07:38 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,440 times
Wow. I am shocked by these reactions to a woman and a teenage girl drowning to death. Her being a petty criminal, and not a very bright one, doesn't justify that level of smugness and the total lack of compassion.

I have to say, this is the first time on City Data that the skeeziness of posts made me question whether or not I want to continue participating in these forums.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:09 PM

575 posts, read 1,516,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
Wow. I am shocked by these reactions to a woman and a teenage girl drowning to death. Her being a petty criminal, and not a very bright one, doesn't justify that level of smugness and the total lack of compassion.

I have to say, this is the first time on City Data that the skeeziness of posts made me question whether or not I want to continue participating in these forums.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Come back when you get over yourself.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:30 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:

Looking back over the posts, I see your point. But, speaking for myself, I'm tired of crime. I'm tired of repeat criminals. What does it say if a person is willing to commit a crime while being monitored and awaiting trial for a previous crime? I'm tired of the justice system not being a further deterrent. I'm tired of next generation criminals, as the daughter appears to be.

It does bother me that someone died as a result of something so trivial. OTOH, if they hadn't been caught in the process of shoplifting, they wouldn't have run, and wouldn't have died. Unfortunately there can be tragic results from a trivial action. I've become jaded against people who, rather than being productive or at least holding their own, have become a detriment to society.

Yes it's "just" shoplifting, but it happened 2 miles from my house. Certainly there are more serious crimes, probably even nearer to me. But I don't like knowing the criminal element is getting closer to me every day.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 08-06-2011 at 09:10 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Looking back over the posts, I see your point. But, speaking for myself, I'm tired of crime. I'm tired of repeat criminals. What does it say if a person is willing to commit a crime while being monitored and awaiting trial for a previous crime? I'm tired of the justice system not being a further deterrent. I'm tired of next generation criminals, as the daughter appears to be.

It does bother me that someone died as a result of something so trivial. OTOH, if they hadn't been caught in the process of shoplifting, they wouldn't have run, and wouldn't have died. Unfortunately there can be tragic results from a trivial action. I've become jaded against people who, rather than being productive or at least holding their own, have become a detriment to society.

Yes it's "just" shoplifting, but it happened 2 miles from my house. Certainly there are more serious crimes, probably even nearer to me. But I don't like knowing the criminal element is getting closer to me every day.
This mommy and daughter team would have no qualms entering your home and removing family heirlooms for a high. Mommy notified society long ago that she couldn't live in it civilly and her last act as a mentor was to pass down her 'craft'. Remember that today we lost 30 honorable and good service members in Afghanistan while these two low life's were plotting their next crime.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:43 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
This mommy and daughter team would have no qualms entering your home and removing family heirlooms for a high. Mommy notified society long ago that she couldn't live in it civilly and her last act as a mentor was to pass down her 'craft'. Remember that today we lost 30 honorable and good service members in Afghanistan while these two low life's were plotting their next crime.
You're preaching to the choir.

My compassion lies with the families of the service people killed today, not with petty thieves who made a fatally misguided decision.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:59 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
I'm pretty shocked to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

I'm tired of criminals and such to, don't get me wrong. But I could never bring myself to ever make jokes about someone who died. I know my momma would smack me if I ever did and I don't know, I just don't have the heart to find it funny, ironic, or anything. I wish our justice system were better, people were locked up with harsher punishments. But someone drowning to their death is not something I ever want to make a witty comment about.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:27 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
My comment was not meant to be funny or witty. I'm sick to death of the wrongful death law suits that chronically follow these events. I did not assume that the comment that I responded to was meant as anything other than a disgusted statement, too.

It's too bad that they decided to steal. It's too bad that they ran. It's too bad that they weren't stopped with a stun gun before they got to the creek. Oh, yeah, if something goes wrong with the stun gun, then there's a wrongful death suit for that.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
I'm pretty shocked to.

I wish our justice system were better, people were locked up with harsher punishments.
> Thank a liberal judge for the soft sentences after the police and DA spends time & $$$ catching and prosecuting these recidivist.

> Thank a system that allows the building of a 'village' $$$ to create a piece of society that runs to 'social services' from cradle to grave.

> Thank a society that has muzzled itself and refuses to 'call out' the problem in fear of being labeled.

> Thank the entitlement mentality, Americas 'hidden' royalty.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:29 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
You play, you pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte