Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 04:27 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,285 times

Advertisements

The median home cost in Huntersville is $280,000. Home appreciation the last year has been -3.45 percent.>>

After talking with several builders in the past month, I've gotten the feeling they are starting to see a drop-off in sales. Some have lowered prices and there are lots of incentives. However, I've noticed that "pre-owned" homes are still listed as though they've been continually appreciating. This seems conflicting!

What's your take?

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-14-2007 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: links to competeing sites not permitted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 05:37 PM

674 posts, read 804,895 times
Wow, take an area that has been overbuilding like the rest of the entire nation and couple that with a slight slow down in people moving at the moment and you get a....cooling effect?

Who would have thunk it.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:50 PM

27 posts, read 72,386 times
I hate to break it but this will be the story for the next few years as new home builders in the area have overbuilt like crazy and they are much more willing to discount than an individual owner as most builders have to move inventory even though it might not be as profitable. It's either move it at a smaller profit or go bankrupt.

I know this is a different area, but I've been tracking The Palisades (Lake Wylie)development and in just the past 4 weeks I've seen a new home builder reduce the price from $450k to $412k to $391k. Something tells me I could easily get it at $375k or maybe less.

Be smart about your purchases and don't rush into anything. Nobody is going to be priced out of Charlotte in the next few years, and you have a much better chance to save $ by lowballing now or just being patient.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:32 PM

29 posts, read 142,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy1 View Post
I hate to break it but this will be the story for the next few years as new home builders in the area have overbuilt like crazy and they are much more willing to discount than an individual owner as most builders have to move inventory even though it might not be as profitable. It's either move it at a smaller profit or go bankrupt.

I know this is a different area, but I've been tracking The Palisades (Lake Wylie)development and in just the past 4 weeks I've seen a new home builder reduce the price from $450k to $412k to $391k. Something tells me I could easily get it at $375k or maybe less.

Be smart about your purchases and don't rush into anything. Nobody is going to be priced out of Charlotte in the next few years, and you have a much better chance to save $ by lowballing now or just being patient.

I'm concerned about this, especially since my new employers have been dragging their feet about completing my paperwork and setting a start date....
We missed the NY housing boom by about a year. I have been worried that by the time we are comfortable and ready to buy here, the homes will have reached the 550+ mark for 1600 sq ft (just like NY). Feels like we will be apartment bound forever! LOL

Old 10-09-2007, 08:55 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes718 View Post
I'm concerned about this, especially since my new employers have been dragging their feet about completing my paperwork and setting a start date....
We missed the NY housing boom by about a year. I have been worried that by the time we are comfortable and ready to buy here, the homes will have reached the 550+ mark for 1600 sq ft (just like NY). Feels like we will be apartment bound forever! LOL
Stokes, I think you might have missed Waterboy1's point. He's saying that real estate is NOT going to boom in the area in the next few years due to an over supply of homes relative to the number of buyers. My honest opinion is that prices have pretty much leveled off in Huntersville and might even fall slightly more. I've been surprised at how many homes builders need to unload!

Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 PM

27 posts, read 72,386 times
amploud, That is exactly my point. RE in the suburbs of Charlotte will not boom due to the huge supply of new homes and existing owners that need to move for one reason or another.

I think it is funny that in places such as CA, NV, FL, & AZ that people have the preception that some areas are down 20% from their peaks and that makes them a great buy. Too bad they don't understand why it is wrong that those places rose by 100% + over the last 5-6 years.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:04 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Its really not a surprise. Builders here made huge profits, got fat and happy, and now are paying for all the excess inventory. The banks want their money and many are in trouble. (That's why you are seeing firesales around the country).

Building needs to slow down so inventory can shrink....just part of the cyclical process.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:59 PM

29 posts, read 142,271 times
No, I understood what he was saying. I took it as good news and was commenting that I had been worried about being priced out, as I was in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: