Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:32 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,977,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
You can stop the whining, Mikey. It is what it is. Your very first post in this topic was to accuse me of a "Doom Agenda" and worse, in the 3rd person. If you come into these topics with fists swinging, then expect to get punched in the face with some reality. Send me a DM if you are really trying to understand what I am saying instead of these thinly veiled insults disguised as posts.

You moved to Union county to avoid Mecklenburg issues. Hence you don't get much of a say when residents of Mecklenburg discuss the county issues. Anyone in this county paying taxes to support CATS has the right to call out CATS on how it is being operated. It's hypocritical for anyone, who doesn't live here because they don't want to pay the taxes to call them names for it.
Hey, if you're going to be fair I think people will find your posts to be of the whining variety if you are going to define mine that way. It's a subjective thing so I won't try to dissuade you from your opinion of me. However, for my own sanity I will say that written posts are very difficult to express a tone and that likely has much to do with it if you ask me. Our sparring history will more often then not lead us to look at the negative aspects first and make a bigger deal out of any comment even remotely controversial. We both write with a sarcastic slant and that definitely contributes. It's unfortunate because I feel that leaves valid points in both of our posts overlooked. I'll take your advice and DM you for more appropriate 1 on 1 discussions. Believe it or not I have a fairly strong history of doing that over the 4 years I've been posting here and I've never put anyone on ignore - defeats the purpose of being a contributing regular to these boards imo.

Relative to this topic, I think you have every right to call CATS whatever you want. You're obviously well versed on the transit picture and stay involved. I've never personally been involved in a transit tax vote or anything related to it when I lived in Iredell and now in Union. I'm officially registered now and have been doing my best to educate myself on the politics of the area over the past several years. Now that I'm settling into Union permanently I am trying to do even more along those lines.

You seem to conveniently keep dodging the main reason many folks like myself (families with young kids) choose to live outside Meck county. The issues with CMS are well documented (ChromeKitty just posted a perfect example of how messed up they are recently) and to continue to ignore that saying that we "don't want to pay Meck taxes" is unfair. CMS is your problem and because you don't have school age kids maybe you overlook it. You'll probably get mad at that comment as me trying to psycho analyze you, but I don't know why you continue to ignore why people are avoiding Meck. To me it's no different then you deciding for me that I chose to be outside Meck to avoid their taxes. It's just not true, especially when you consider that Union county taxes aren't the cheapest and that they're going to go up. If I was making a pure tax decision, I would have likely chosen SC - as many people do.

Now, as a resident of Union you can discount my opinion on CATS because we chose not to be part of the MTC... But does that honestly mean that we'll never become members? I don't think so. As the density of the county increases, the overall opinion may change because those of us who do care about mass transit could sway the future. I know if I was asked to vote tomorrow on tax options for joining MTC, I'd listen to the proposal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 02:15 AM

7,055 posts, read 12,280,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, it is kind of a stretch to even refer to what we have here as much of a transit system, lol.

I purposely took my son to all major transit systems in every city we visited, starting with Atlanta's MARTA, as soon as he could walk. I wanted him to know how to navigate in the "big city" so he would never be intimidated like I was.

Yes, I was intimidated at 12 when I found myself in Grand Central Station in NYC. I had no clue what "stops" even were, lol.

So . . . by the age of 12, my son had ridden on MARTA, CTA, DC's Metrorail and Metrobus, NYC's Metro, LADOT (Dash), SF's MUNI . . . I am proud to say, he sneaked off to NYC two times while a freshman in college (yes, I only found out about it later!) and navigated his way around NYC w/ no problems.

I only wish we had a robust transit system . . . I envy folks who can take advantage of the commuter rail lines . . .

I have a feeling, tho, that crime per # riders might be higher on our small little system than compared to what large cities might contend with.
Ani, did you just compare Charlotte's transit to the likes of Atl, Chicago, San Fran, LA, DC and NYC? Why not compare Charlotte's light rail to peer cities like Nashville, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Columbus, Orlando, and Indianapolis? FWIW, most US cities in Charlotte's league don't have any rail lines nor do they have plans/funding for any. As a matter of fact, the only US cities that come close to being in Charlotte's league (and have better rail transit) are Cleveland, St. Louis, Denver, Pittsburgh, and Portland. All of which are larger metros btw.

As for the crime on CATS, I have noticed less rude behavior on the buses and trains as of late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte