U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:38 PM

189 posts, read 525,624 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the area and while I enjoy visting Uptown I see no reason to live there. Maybe I am used to Boston and NYC, but Charlotte reminds me of Hartford, CT and cities of that scale. I personally wouldnt pay more to live there, but you have to do what is best for your situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 09:55 PM

30 posts, read 88,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
Most new comers to Charlotte come from NY, NJ and other Northern states. A big percentage of this people resided in apartments, so when they move to CLT, they want big spaces. That's one of the main reason why they are coming down. IMO, it makes no sense to move from a 700 sqft apartment in Manhattan to one 1000 sqft in Uptown CLT.
To me it makes perfect sense to drive 20 minutes from my cookie cutter McMansion to Uptown to work.
That's one of the big selling points that's made me choose Charlotte. I can spend $150,000 on a house here in Richmond and be in one of the worst crime area's in the city (Southside). The houses are old and in comparison to Charlotte, they are small. In Charlotte I can take that same $150,000 and buy a new home (5-10 yr range) and in a good to decent area in a 2,000 sq ft home. My own yard, 2 car garage and get some souther hospitality in the process. Not to mention Charlotte has one of the cleanest downtown's I have seen.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:01 PM

71 posts, read 263,869 times
I came from a small apt in Northern Virgnia so that's why we decided on living far out in a cookie cutter neighborhood. But in all honesty, I'm regretting not purchasing a townhouse in near Uptown almost 3 years ago, we could have made a huge huge profit. Great investment imo.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:23 AM

716 posts, read 1,906,209 times
When I was younger and unmarried and working uptown, I LOVED living there. I walked to and from work every day, I'd stop at the grocery on my way home, I had beautiful place to just take a walk and parks to relax in, and at night or on the weekends there was always something to do.

During my 2 year hiatus in Northern Virginia, I got married, and we're working on starting a family. We're moving back to Charlotte, but this time we're buying a house in the burbs. We're tired of sharing walls with other people. My dream would be to buy one of those beautiful grand homes in Fourth Ward, but I don't have a million dollars lying around. So our dollars will go farther out there in the outskirts, especially since money will be more of a concern to us as the years roll on.

So I can certainly understand the appeal to the young professionals and empty nesters. I don't really see much of an appeal to anyone else living uptown, for many of the reasons people said here. The development isn't quite there yet for families, and when it is, it will out-price a lot of families' budgets.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 12,112 times
Default Highrise living

My husband and I are relocating to Charlotte this summer from Boston and are surprised that we are really drawn to the high rise living, as it was never an option for us in Boston or in NYC (where we previously lived). We are early 30s, no kids, 1dog/1cat.

The Pros & cons: close to entertainment, transportation, restaurants, we walk vs. having to drive everywhere, pool in the summer (will be missing the ocean!). Cons: no garden/outside life - the parks in Uptown are very small, real lack of retail options today - so much is closed on weekends still in uptown - maybe that will change with the new center scheduled to open, feeling like I am hermedically sealed in a high rise building, and lack of space to grow - we are living in a 1200ft condo today and would be moving to another 1200 sqft condo.

Is anyone living there that can share their pros/cons?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:36 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmchernandez View Post
My husband and I are relocating to Charlotte this summer from Boston and are surprised that we are really drawn to the high rise living, as it was never an option for us in Boston or in NYC (where we previously lived). We are early 30s, no kids, 1dog/1cat.

The Pros & cons: close to entertainment, transportation, restaurants, we walk vs. having to drive everywhere, pool in the summer (will be missing the ocean!). Cons: no garden/outside life - the parks in Uptown are very small, real lack of retail options today - so much is closed on weekends still in uptown - maybe that will change with the new center scheduled to open, feeling like I am hermedically sealed in a high rise building, and lack of space to grow - we are living in a 1200ft condo today and would be moving to another 1200 sqft condo.

Is anyone living there that can share their pros/cons?
Everyone is different and you will get different responses from people.

Personally I would not live anywhere except Uptown Charlotte (and I have lived in South Charlotte, Huntersville, Fort Mill and Lake Wylie). You will get the biggest return for your money in Uptown versus anywhere in the area. It is a good investment. We doubled our money in just 6 years!

I enjoy walking to grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants, clubs...etc (Soon to bowling & movie theaters).

I also walk to work...but that is changing May 1st. I will be working about 18 miles from Uptown in Ballantyne but will be in reverse traffic.

I know you don't have kids...but there are more and more young families moving Uptown. I have seen a change over the last 7 years!

Also Uptown is THE safest area to live in the entire city...we have Police on foot patrol, bike patrol and car patrol...plus other than the Main police station...there are also 2 additional Police sub-stations Uptown.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-19-2008, 06:33 AM

100 posts, read 220,072 times
is it still a good idea to buy uptown? are the prices going to crash?

Old 06-19-2008, 07:16 AM

9,567 posts, read 26,982,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Everyone is different and you will get different responses from people.

Personally I would not live anywhere except Uptown Charlotte (and I have lived in South Charlotte, Huntersville, Fort Mill and Lake Wylie). You will get the biggest return for your money in Uptown versus anywhere in the area. It is a good investment. We doubled our money in just 6 years!

I enjoy walking to grocery stores, pharmacies, restaurants, clubs...etc (Soon to bowling & movie theaters).
I also walk to work...but that is changing May 1st. I will be working about 18 miles from Uptown in Ballantyne but will be in reverse traffic.

I know you don't have kids...but there are more and more young families moving Uptown. I have seen a change over the last 7 years!

Also Uptown is THE safest area to live in the entire city...we have Police on foot patrol, bike patrol and car patrol...plus other than the Main police station...there are also 2 additional Police sub-stations Uptown.

GOOD LUCK!

You forgot to mention that soon you will have a HOOTERS too!

Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 AM

280 posts, read 858,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue77 View Post
is it still a good idea to buy uptown? are the prices going to crash?
I feel like once all of the condo high rises open up downtown prices are going to suffer.

It seems to me that thousands of the wealthy Charlotte residents bought into the high rise condo idea as investments, and plan to rent them out. Once they all start opening up and there are tons of them on the rental market, will there be people to fill them? I don't think there will be, at least not at the price the owners will be expecting. Eventually, people are going to have to try to sell if they can't rent their units out. Then, the market will be flooded with 500 sq ft high rise condos uptown and prices will suffer. Just my opinion.

If I am not mistaken, Trademark is still only 40-50% occupied.

Didn't a similar situation happen in Miami a while back?

Old 06-20-2008, 10:31 AM

85 posts, read 363,351 times
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to buy uptown, but for our budget we simply can't afford to be comfortable. I could never downsize from what we're in now without losing my mind.
We've decided to buy in SW Charlotte and enjoy having a yard (for gardening -hooray!) and lots of space. We don't have any children yet, but in a few years when we are ready for them we will already have the space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or