Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:11 AM

34 posts, read 150,378 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing of all the newcomers buying in developments to the South (Ballantyne) and North (Huntersville) of Charlotte, but what about uptown?

Would everyone rather have square footage than a quick drive/walk to work? I am personally all about convenience and it just astonishes me that living in a cookie cutter neighborhood 20 minutes away is desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 08:29 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack2002 View Post
I keep hearing of all the newcomers buying in developments to the South (Ballantyne) and North (Huntersville) of Charlotte, but what about uptown?

Would everyone rather have square footage than a quick drive/walk to work? I am personally all about convenience and it just astonishes me that living in a cookie cutter neighborhood 20 minutes away is desirable.
Many condo's in uptown are built less than 1000 square feet, that's barely enough room for two roomates, much less a family of four. Uptown living is just not as conducive to family living as the "cookie cutter" neighborhoods are - no place for a kid to go outside and play or ride his bike for instance. Additionally, you pay a high premium for that little uptown condo and can get 3 times the amount of square footage out in the burbs - it's a no brainer to me.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:52 AM

245 posts, read 267,624 times
To each there own. I agree with Lovesmountains. If you have little ones its just not the place to be but if your just starting out or an empty nester it could be a great place to be. My wife and I have talked about buying downtown so we can move there once the kids leave. tick....tick....tick

Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM

348 posts, read 430,301 times
I think it's the equivalent of buying in Manhattan--you may get a smaller place at a higher per square foot price, but you'll have all the great amenities at close range. I personally think it's quite smart to buy a condo uptown, because as they continue to build up that area and add more restaurants, shopping and such, it will become like a little NYC. Buy now...it's only going to get pricier. Good investment in my view.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaf View Post
I think it's the equivalent of buying in Manhattan--you may get a smaller place at a higher per square foot price, but you'll have all the great amenities at close range. I personally think it's quite smart to buy a condo uptown, because as they continue to build up that area and add more restaurants, shopping and such, it will become like a little NYC. Buy now...it's only going to get pricier. Good investment in my view.
I totally agree it is a great investment! Just not the kind of housing that meets a family's needs that's all.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:07 AM

448 posts, read 1,855,784 times
Most new comers to Charlotte come from NY, NJ and other Northern states. A big percentage of this people resided in apartments, so when they move to CLT, they want big spaces. That's one of the main reason why they are coming down. IMO, it makes no sense to move from a 700 sqft apartment in Manhattan to one 1000 sqft in Uptown CLT.
To me it makes perfect sense to drive 20 minutes from my cookie cutter McMansion to Uptown to work.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:10 AM

34 posts, read 150,378 times
I may be asking this question to the wrong target market. I guess most of the audience here are men/women with families looking for a residence. After reading many of the posts I get the feeling that with all the transports, the uptown condominium market might actually thrive with young business professionals. Just wanted some perspectives of those who have come from this lifestyle from the West Coast or North. Thanks.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack2002 View Post
I may be asking this question to the wrong target market. I guess most of the audience here are men/women with families looking for a residence. After reading many of the posts I get the feeling that with all the transports, the uptown condominium market might actually thrive with young business professionals. Just wanted some perspectives of those who have come from this lifestyle from the West Coast or North. Thanks.
You are right, the uptown condo market is definitely full of mostly young business professionals, and a smattering of empty nesters

Old 08-14-2007, 09:41 AM

550 posts, read 1,808,688 times
I'm a young professional. I'm looking around town, but not in uptown. The uptown condos are $175K for 500 sq. ft. I can get a house near NoDa or Plaza Midwood that's $125K for about 1000 sq. ft.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota4791 View Post
I'm a young professional. I'm looking around town, but not in uptown. The uptown condos are $175K for 500 sq. ft. I can get a house near NoDa or Plaza Midwood that's $125K for about 1000 sq. ft.
But in that price range you'll have a real fixer upper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte