U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:03 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp View Post
Also, what hospitals would be closest to the South Charlotte area? Or do you make the trip to the "best" hospitals for what is going on?
In south Charlotte you can choose from Presbyterian-Matthews or Carolinas Medical Center-Mercy South. I have been in both ER's and was pleased with service in each. For something non life threatening I would not hesitate to go back to either, depending on which I was closest to. However, for tramatic injuries or serious situations I would call an ambulance and insist I be taken to Carolinas Medical Center uptown. They are one of the top, if not THE top, trauma centers in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 11:51 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,661,977 times
Default thanks

my neighbor is a nurse at the CMC-uptown so I would go up there too.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:42 PM

17 posts, read 65,716 times
I am a new nurse looking to move to Charlotte and just applied to CMC. Do you know if your neighbor likes working there? Any info you could provide would be helpful. If your neighbor is registered with this site please have her (or him) contact me. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:06 PM

452 posts, read 2,124,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
When I moved here I was told the following

Presbyterian has the best facilities
However CMC has the best doctors.
This was just one patient's experience but I know him to be very honest. He had ope heart surgery at Presbyterian and said the OR and his room were filthy dirty. He was more descriptive than this, actually.

My dad had stints put in at Presbterian and feels he was treated well and was comfortable and had no problems.He was originally at Rowan Regional in Salisbury but they don't have a heart center.

I know this isn't Charlotte but before Concord's Northeast Medical Center was bought out and became CMC-Northeast, I had my baby there and LOVED it, it was a great experience and security was tight, it was clean, the staff was caring. I was very happy there. (As a sidenote I had my second child at New Hanover in Wilmington and the experience was NOT nice in any way. ) I've also been to Canon Heart Center at CMC-Northeast, it's good.

I have friends who have delivered babies at both Presbyterian and CMC-main as well as one who delivered twice at CMC-University. None of them had problems, the one who delivered at CMC-main was picky as heck and satisfied (had 2 kids there), and the ones who delivered at Presbyterian (2 single births and 1 preemie twins) were taken good care of and happy. I think a lot depends on your doctor but the nurses and staff can make a big difference, if I had it to do over again I'd go back to Northeast despite the raves about Presbyterian, for sure. I wonder if anything changed when CMC bought it?

That's about all I know about---I had a HORRIBLE experience in University's ER when they put a (uninary) catheter in me to do a pelvic ultrasound. Later found out with followup from my OB it was uncalled for and painful. and Unnecessary for the ultrasound.

I always had good ER experiences with myself and family members at Northeast, never used the others...had to use them twice for bad migraines that would not relieve with my usual meds and they were compassionate. They treated me and sent me home with just enough pain medication until I could get to see my neurologist or regular doctor, compassionate but not liberal, and didn't treat me like a drug seeker, which I am not of course. Got good treatment when we had to take my 3 year old to Northeast ER as well for ear pain. Since I lived in Concord that's where most of my experiences are. I personally would not use University. For babies in Charlotte I'd probably choose Presbyterian.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:57 AM

509 posts, read 1,642,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movn2nc View Post
What about Presb. Huntersville? Any one have thoughts on it?
My husband was hospitalized there in November and we were very pleased with both the care of all the doctors involved (and there were many, because they were trying to figure out what had happened - so he had neurologists, cardiologists, hematologists, etc., etc. involved) and the facilities. All the rooms are private and spacious, the nurses were great, and they did not forget spouse care (I am pregnant and they were very concerned about my stress levels too). Almost all of his doctors also practice at Presby downtown.

OH and the ER triage process worked exactly as it should - DH was exhibiting some scary symptoms and they rushed him right in.

I will be delivering at Presby Huntersville in the next three weeks. The maternity ward there is beautiful.

GT

Old 03-06-2008, 06:28 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,543,305 times
I have one caveat. Before you go to the ER at Mercy - the Elizabeth location - check to be sure that they are able to treat your condition i.e. that they have doctors and equipment there to properly treat you. I went to Mercy this past summer with a severe nosebleed. The doctor who treated me was great and tried for over two hours to stop the bleeding but couldn't. We finally contacted my doctor at Charlotte Eye, Ear Nose and Throat who was that day seeing patients at their Mercy South location. We had started on this journey at 5am and by the time we arrived at EENTSouth it was close to 11am - I had been bleeding since 2am. We were told that the Mercy ER - though with a very caring staff and a MUCH shorter wait - is not equipped to care for all problems.

As far as hospital stays go, having been at CMC, Main and Univ and Prebsy/Main, I believe that I prefer CMC main.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:02 PM

27 posts, read 23,973 times
For any significant TRAUMA - PLEASE go to CMC Main. It is a LEVEL 1 trauma center! Babies - all high risk pregnancies should go downtown (both hospitals are equal). Many ob/gyns will only deliver downtown. The main hospitals have a neonatologist at the hospital 24/7. The satellites have one on call 24/7. Heart - I know some doctors I would avoid! All of the rest - many great doctors go to both hospitals.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,667 times
CMC-Northeast has the best heart care in the state. I work on the IMC, step down unit from ICU. I enjoy working for CMC-Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte