Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:54 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,130,775 times

Advertisements

Thank goodness they aren't doing this here, yet. I think they're going to have a lot of unhappy customers.

Wells Fargo to test $3 fee for debit cards - Aug. 16, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 08:58 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,594,965 times
Sadly, enough people will still do it, and probably not even realize they are being charged, and Wells Fargo will be justified. But it's OK, we can just go to another bank who doesn't, well, of course until they all decide to "align" with the competition and everynoe charges for it. Capitalism FTW!

Old 08-17-2011, 09:14 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,154,826 times
Funny, fifteen years ago the banks wanted everyone to use debit cards more so they could save money in check processing. I guess they've already spent all those savings on bad mortgages.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:14 AM

150 posts, read 324,670 times
Actually, you can thank the gub'ment for placing regulations on the fees that they charged bid'nesses. They have to make up the revenue loss somewhere.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Its a matter of time before all banks do it , or businesses charge you for debit card purchases.

My insurance charge a banking card fee for my online automatic payments.

I use my debit once a week and use cash back with the once week purchase so I am not really to concern.
With credit card skimmers out there, heck there even for sale on net. I dont want people to have access to my livelihood.

Cash is the way to go.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:35 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,130,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Its a matter of time before all banks do it , or businesses charge you for debit card purchases.

I use my debit once a week and use cash back with the once week purchase so I am not really to concern.
With credit card skimmers out there, heck there even for sale on net. I dont want people to have access to my livelihood.

Cash is the way to go.
Businesses (including your insurance company) are charged for credit card transactions already. The price is either built into the goods you buy, or you are charged a fee, like with the automatic draft for your insurance. This is about the bank itself charging customers a monthly fee simply for using their debit cards. Even if you only use it once a week, you will still be charged.

My guess is the only way to avoid it is to switch banks, go to a credit union, or use cash only and no debit. Hopefully it will fail miserably. Switching banks is a giant PITA.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:46 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,707,639 times
How much more can banks rob people??????? I am with a Credit Union now, f the big banks, hope they all fail, and they are going down the path of self destruction.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:20 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

Cash is the way to go.

A business gets charged by it's processor for debit card/credit card transactions. Depending on how you use the card, pin no pin etc....will determine the percentage of the sale they take. Anywhere from less than 1 percent to 3.5 percent of the sale. Some places may higher rates than that.

Using cash is great until we move to a cashless society, which is coming.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:23 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrm View Post
Actually, you can thank the gub'ment for placing regulations on the fees that they charged bid'nesses. They have to make up the revenue loss somewhere.
What bank told you that lie? The government could drop every regulation there is and the banks would still cry broke.

Gov't told the banks to loan a small % of their money to low income families.. banks turned around and gave out loans to anyone with a pulse and then claimed the Gov't forced them to do it.

Banks love money and they will always find a reason to charge more for lost revenue.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:07 PM

515 posts, read 1,036,309 times
Change to a smaller local bank. Use a no fee credit card, but pay it off every month...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte