Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 03:52 PM

42 posts, read 80,703 times

Advertisements

Hi,

tenant had toilet flow problems.
one time it was a female napkin,
next time is baby swipe.
third time, it is ball pen.

then plumber had to remove the whole toilet in order to fix the system.
it cost more than $600.

I am just wondering who supposed to pay for it?
they pay rent on time, good tenant from this point of view.

thanks
coco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 07:03 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
Actions have consequences. If they caused the problem, they pay the bill.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:10 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Was it the pen that caused them to have to pull the toilet?

Old 08-20-2011, 07:52 PM

373 posts, read 778,343 times
If they are a good tenant, and have been with you a while, I may suggest that you eat the cost on this one. Clearly you can not keep doing this,oviously. I would write the tenant a letter and give her the details as to what these expenses have cost you. Make it clear to the tenant that any future repair costs for the same recurring problem will in fact be passed on to them. Call the tenant a week or so after you expect her to have read the letter and go over the details with her to drive the point home. Make sure, for legal purposes, that the tenant is fully advised of the financial situation this problem has presented you.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:11 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
What does YOUR lease say?

You cannot enforce tenant payment for any repair unless it is outlined in the lease that the tenant is responsible for repairs that are the direct fault of the tenant.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:50 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,983,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
What does YOUR lease say?

You cannot enforce tenant payment for any repair unless it is outlined in the lease that the tenant is responsible for repairs that are the direct fault of the tenant.

Are there such leases? I've never seen a lease that does NOT say a tenant is responsible for damages caused by tenant.

If I were the landlord, there would be no way I would foot the whole bill for damages caused by a tenant. I would possible discuss splitting the $600.00 bill with them.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:02 AM

642 posts, read 1,169,847 times
Here is an extract from the lease that my tenant has signed.

As you can see, I am responsible for making and paying for plumbing repairs. However my tenant has an obligation to use the facilities in a "proper and reasonable manner".

I have an agent who looks after this stuff for me but I think that you should pay and point out to the tenant that they have NOT used the plumbing reasonably. You may be able to get them to contribute or even pay the whole bill. Even if you pay this time, you can inform them that if this happens again you will be billing them for the full amount. You will still have to initially pay because it is your property and you wish it repaired promptly and correctly using your contractor.

Certainly I would do this in writing and follow up with a phone call or personal visit. It is essential that this discussion remains professional and business like. If it decends into a slanging matcth then both parties will lose.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:38 AM

403 posts, read 877,870 times
If I read the original post correctly, I would have thought that after the "first" incident.....and even the "second" incident....that there wouldn't be any more problems. How did you take care of them? Did you speak to the tenant about any further incidences...or did you just go ahead and pay the bill? Just wondering?

Old 08-21-2011, 09:20 AM

42 posts, read 80,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbeth View Post
If I read the original post correctly, I would have thought that after the "first" incident.....and even the "second" incident....that there wouldn't be any more problems. How did you take care of them? Did you speak to the tenant about any further incidences...or did you just go ahead and pay the bill? Just wondering?
yes, the first couple of times, bill is just a couple of hundred of $, so I paid.
but the third time, plumber has to remove the whole toilet, that is $400.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:05 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
I like the actions have consequences comment. If every time I was careless and flushed something down the toilet that I shouldn't have and someone fixed it for free, I'd keep doing it. If it cost me a few hundred dollars, I'd probably watch what I threw down the toilet so it didn't cost me any money.

Make them pay and you'll find that it stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte