Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

Sylbeth - you vixen. As for the number of candles on the cake, everyone knows I lie about my age and knock off 10 years. That is increasingly difficult to get away with, b/c just as I moved "back home," my high schools friends are moving back and so . . . no denying what year I graduated from high school! <eeeek>

Let's just say . . .

I am old enough to have helped organize a celebration for the first "Earth Day" . ..I was one of the first people in my group of friends to actually join NOW (yes! National Organization for Women - and altho I didn't burn that bra, I did toss it for a while, on principle) . . .my friends and classmates were drafted to service during Viet Nam . . . Jackie Kennedy was my fashion idol f/ the day I first saw her photo while campaigning for her hubby . . . I was at a church youth party when I heard the Beatles' "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" . . . and learned how to play every Beatles song on the piano from there on out, lol . . .

At high school graduation, I was told the song that fit me best was Simon and Garfunkle's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - a song that went on to win a gazillion awards . . .

I learned one of the dance sequences out of "Staying Alive" and was silly (stupid???) enough to perform it with my fellow grad students at a English Dept. Christmas party . . . something I regretted later, but hey . . . public humiliation is its own teacher . . . might as well learn the ONE GLASS OF WINE ONLY RULE at work-related events early in life. SIGH.

I am old enough to have learned what not to do . . . and wise enough to remember the lessons. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Hey Ani! I have faith in your decision. I'm sort of planning the same, as I know that with the blatant age descrimination going on, I'm unlikely to get better than a minimum wage job & I have medical bills to be paid off. (I've gotten it down to one big one.) Here's something to consider. The Southern Arts Society There's a gallery so maybe we could coordinate a dual show. Your paintings & my photography.
I would love that! A splendid idea! Just remember, tho - you haven't seen my work yet. Maybe it sucks.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:01 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I would love that! A splendid idea! Just remember, tho - you haven't seen my work yet. Maybe it sucks.
LOL, well, although when I took photography class at Philadelphia College of Art, some of the teachers wanted me to take my work to a local gallery (I was big on taking shots at houses that were being gutted & rehabbed), I didn't because I would have had to do my own developing & printing. My mother was not going to lose a bathroom. I ditched the (Pentax) SLR for point & shoots when digital cameras came out, because it was fun & I didn't have to pay to get them developed. I rearranged my finances & got a DSLT camera (Sony a55) so now I need to learn how to deal with the new technology as well as the software. We're even!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
LOL, well, although when I took photography class at Philadelphia College of Art, some of the teachers wanted me to take my work to a local gallery (I was big on taking shots at houses that were being gutted & rehabbed), I didn't because I would have had to do my own developing & printing. My mother was not going to lose a bathroom. I ditched the (Pentax) SLR for point & shoots when digital cameras came out, because it was fun & I didn't have to pay to get them developed. I rearranged my finances & got a DSLT camera (Sony a55) so now I need to learn how to deal with the new technology as well as the software. We're even!
Yes, I would say we are even on the re-learning and re-training and re-discovering!

I think the whole thing about getting older is . . . I don't want to become irrelevant. I can always keep writing . . . but I have said about all I want to say (professionally, lol). Yep. Not inclined to write a novel . . . I am too research oriented . . . enjoy writing feature stories still . . .so will continue w/ that in an online format. And I like to write about self-development - w/ a spiritual, self-awareness basis.

I have found myself kinda tired of being literal - would llike to be more abstract w/ my comments about the world . . . and I want to just deal w/ "beautiful" these days . . . no pressure to do social commentary (wh/ was the "thing" when I was in art school). I am content to paint mountains and sunsets and fields of flowers, something I felt was not erudite enough when I was younger. Too old to care about "making a statement" anymore . . .

I see the world as a complex and mysterious system of balance in perception, belief and self-manifestation. We really do become what we think. I would like to spend some time painting what I think instead of writing it. Then, the viewer can bring himself to the moment and make of it what he wishes.

I so enjoy seeing the world thru/ someone else's eyes, SB. Go forth w/ that camera and capture your world so we can see it thru/ a different lens!

Last edited by brokensky; 08-23-2011 at 11:06 AM..

Old 08-23-2011, 11:18 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, I would say we are even on the re-learning and re-training and re-discovering!

I think the whole thing about getting older is . . . I don't want to become irrelevant. I can always keep writing . . . but I have said about all I want to say (professionally, lol). Yep. Not inclined to write a novel . . . I am too research oriented . . . enjoy writing feature stories still . . .so will continue w/ that in an online format. And I like to write about self-development - w/ a spiritual, self-awareness basis.

I have found myself kinda tired of being literal - would llike to be more abstract w/ my comments about the world . . . and I want to just deal w/ "beautiful" these days . . . no pressure to do social commentary (wh/ was the "thing" when I was in art school). I am content to paint mountains and sunsets and fields of flowers, something I felt was not erudite enough when I was younger. Too old to care about "making a statement" anymore . . .

I see the world as a complex and mysterious system of balance in perception, belief and self-manifestation. We really do become what we think. I would like to spend some time painting what I think instead of writing it. Then, the viewer can bring himself to the moment and make of it what he wishes.

I so enjoy seeing the world thru/ someone else's eyes, SB. Go forth w/ that camera and capture your world so we can see it thu/ a different lens!
Well. . .my writing project has been on hold for about a month, but I hope to get back to it within the week. it won't be the great American novel, but as you know, I should be able to get enough money for it to pay the medical bills & get back on an even keel. Once it's finished & marketed, project #2 involves research in Greensboro & someplace near Raleigh (I have to check, I think it's the Duke library) as well as Philadelphia. You might want to come along for some of the research fun.

I may decide to do some painting, but it has to wait until I've put my life back in order more. I can take a camera & escape my personal chaos, but can't paint in it.

Yes, I went to the 1st Earth Day which was held on Independence Mall in Philly. My English teacher took us, as a class. Our world was churning in our youth. We had plans. Some came to fruition, others didn't. Our parents generation didn't hand the reigns over to us until they had no choice, yet younger people blame us for all of the wrongs in this world.

We'll have to discuss some of this at a later point. I think that we can come up with a coordinated exhibit that will make the galleries in Charlotte jealous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte