Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 09:54 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
This?
THAT looks more like an aircraft carrier killer! LOL
Keep trying, peeps! I needed this funny thread after 10 more "I'm moving to Charlotte next month and want all of you to make all our housing/schooling decisions for me....and cheaply, too" threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,098 times
Its a european hornet, I always get them around my lights at night in nc.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:43 PM

467 posts, read 1,495,930 times
Still not it, lol. I will photograph this thing. All the bees/wasps posted so far have this curved body, but the thing I saw didn't quite have that. I could be wrong. It only appears like once a year. I WILL FIND IT! LOL

Old 06-28-2015, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,010 times
ok,now I have one trapped between glass and screen to covered porch.I live in northeast FL and it has been EXTREMELY hot this past week, and then got a rainpour yesterday. Maybe this BIG guy was shuffled around with all that. Anyway, we killed him before he could kill us!! ...Also coulda been a DRONE!! haha

Old 06-28-2015, 05:21 PM

372 posts, read 722,837 times
8-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademarked View Post
this is going to drive me crazy until i find a photo.
8-21-2011
Quote:
if i can get a photo all of you will be shocked.
Quote:
if i get time tomorrow i am going to draw a picture
9-04-2013
Quote:
i'm going to have to draw a picture of it and post it on here tomorrow.
9-17-2013
Quote:
i will however make a valiant effort to capture or photograph it
8-12-2014
Quote:
i need to take a photo of one.......one day i will identify this thing... One day....
6-14-2015
Quote:
i will photograph this thing.

At this point, I gotta ask, Do you ever follow through on what it is you say you're going to do??

Old 07-15-2015, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,915 times
Try looking up cicada killer. It's actually a wasp. It's body is about 2 inches long. It's long and slender, black & yellow. I saw one today and it freaked me out.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,817 times
I saw a bee 4 to5 inches long, better than an inch thick, yet ,was all black. Box looking, not a hummingbird. Bee sound really loud. Did not see stinger under weird wings. Only got 3 second look. This thing was much bigger than those 3 inch Japanese hornets. I see them all the time. I live in walnut cove , North Carolina. Anybody have any clue? New species? This thing was like something you would expect to see in the amazon jungle.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,763 times
have been seeing the bug as described in the 2011 posting. just started seeing this type of bug the last week of july2015 in upstate NY <go Yanks/Giants!> . anyhoo, the bug is as described but the huge body part seemed to be a deep dark brown reddish/black fuzzy striping; nothing yellow/smooth/and shiney; i thought the thing was a humming bird until it started bumping into the screen; the thing has been coming around for the past few days in late afternoon through 6/7pm; i believe it's doing a jurassic park and testing the fences; i sure hope my screen holds out-it's too hot in NY for closed windows!!!
signed ima frayed

Old 05-02-2016, 02:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,441 times
Exclamation I first saw one when I was 10yo near Knoxville, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post
Still not it, lol. I will photograph this thing. All the bees/wasps posted so far have this curved body, but the thing I saw didn't quite have that. I could be wrong. It only appears like once a year. I WILL FIND IT! LOL

Don't fret my friend, "Alien Bee Gigantus" sighting story here!!! I feel your fear first hand and anyone else who has seen one or two of these mystery bees in their lives. I would testify to the Pope I saw two in eastern Tennessee on my own property circa 1985. It seems they are only around for about 14-30 days a year and I spotted mine in May just as the temps started to get warmer outside (high 70's-80's). I too asked school teachers, friends, parents, searched encyclopedias and libraries as a young kid and when the internet became accessible in the nineties and I was a young adult I began looking there too. I never could nail down the species and so I believe it is a new species or genus that hasn't been caught and studied. These bee sightings have haunted me forever. By ones sheer size and symmetrically striped yellow and black body I can understand why some haven't been captured and displayed in books or on the internet for all of us to eventually see. I'm talking viral video or photo and one would easily be a headline in yahoo news above Kardashians. They were at least as long as my whole 10 yo hand 3.5"-4" and wings were as long as their bodies and loud and scary as they flew near me. I froze in place then at 10 yo and I would now at 40 yo. I had several nightmares about seeing them again in my 20's and I hope to never see another but I would revel in its discovery or identification (ID is null because I have searched the worlds largest species of bees and the bees I saw could eat those puny Japanese or Euro Hornets with just a tiny 2" body. For now these mystery bees of the southern US are known to me as "Alien Bee Gigantus" and no one could ever take away the images burned so clearly in my brain of the two I observed for over 30 minutes one beautiful late spring/early summer morning in my own front yard. Those images will stick with me my whole life as I haven't forgotten them in over 30 years. I did make a connection today though that has brought me some peace, that's you I bee-friended, another witness of Alien Bee Gigantus.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:44 AM

61 posts, read 75,602 times
Check this out, "Asian Giant Hornets" --might yours be one of these? IF SO, YOU WILL NEED TO CALL IN A PEST ERADICATOR ASAP. They are here from Japan, where they attack and kill people. They are spreading to the US now.

//roadtrippers.com/stories/massive-killer-hornets-on-deadly-rampage-heading-to-america?lat=40.80972&lng=-96.67528&z=5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte