U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite whatever (new thing to do, new food to eat, new place to go, etc.) that you have become accustom to doing since moving to the Charlotte area.

Have you found a new interest, hobbie or feel free to share something you are able to do that you might not have been able to do from where you are from.

The thing I have been enjoying that I didnt get to do much from where Im from is enjoying the lake. I love Lake Norman with it Dinner cruises, Lake side restaurants, boat and jet ski rentals and I bought my first kayak to ride out on Mountain Island Lake.

I grew up where a coffee house meant some 8 hour old coffee at a local shop and rob store. I love relaxing hanging out at Caribou coffee off East Blvd.

I love being able to enjoy uptown skyline anytime I want when before it was a rare occasion.

Love to hear what you have experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 PM

182 posts, read 748,472 times
Default Favorite New Thing

I will answer though I haven't landed permantely yet.
I'm totally excited to go digging for rocks, gems etc.
I read on another thread of people letting you come on to there land and dig for emeralds, etc. That sounds like a fun thing to do when my nephews come to visit.
We have fell in love with Lancaster's BBQ in Huntersville. I know I know; don't poo-poo me all you native Carolinean's! We like the atmosphere as well.
I'm just looking forwards to a fresh start and enjoying all that Charlotte and North Carolina have to offer us.
Thanks for letting me respond.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:07 PM

101 posts, read 271,811 times
My favorite new thing?? The ability to see a future here.... Everywhere else I have been I couldnt see myself there for too long. Now I see a place to stay and raise a couple of kids.
Plus I never had a five guys burger before....

Old 08-15-2007, 01:07 PM

There is quite a few gem mines near Little Switzerland NC
Also explore the caverns while you are there.

I grew up in Lexington so Lancaster and most BBQ places in this area have yet to wow me mainly due to they serve eastern style BBQ but I love the interior of Lancaster.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMorin View Post
My favorite new thing?? The ability to see a future here.... Everywhere else I have been I couldnt see myself there for too long. Now I see a place to stay and raise a couple of kids.
Plus I never had a five guys burger before....

That is so AWESOME

I have not tried five guys burgers yet but there one opening up soon here in Huntersville and I will have to see what all the rage is.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:26 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contreras-21 View Post
I will answer though I haven't landed permantely yet.
I'm totally excited to go digging for rocks, gems etc.
I read on another thread of people letting you come on to there land and dig for emeralds, etc. That sounds like a fun thing to do when my nephews come to visit.
We have fell in love with Lancaster's BBQ in Huntersville. I know I know; don't poo-poo me all you native Carolinean's! We like the atmosphere as well.
I'm just looking forwards to a fresh start and enjoying all that Charlotte and North Carolina have to offer us.
Thanks for letting me respond.
Also plan a day trip over to Linville Caverns, something else your nephew might really enjoy

Old 08-15-2007, 01:48 PM

63 posts, read 219,359 times
I love all the options I have with my 2 year old! We always have something to do! I love being in a city with so many trees and the ability to be outdoors so much (with the exception of the crazy heat we have had this past week)

I am impressed with the opportunities for housing and jobs (at least in my husbands field). I love the way that people will stike up conversations with me when I am out and about. Most of all I love that by moving here we have bought our family time. We now will have time to be with one another and enjoy each other more. I couldn't be more thankful. Carolina, I love you!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 02:09 PM

235 posts, read 664,913 times
I love how everyone is so friendly, it's so nice to hear people wish you a good morning with a smile and look you in the face, people holding the door for you not slamming it in your face!! I am enjoying the clean air. This time of year in NYC the heat off the buses and cars and trains makes it hard to breath.
I like that so far everything I need to find has been pretty easy. Oh and there is a parking lot everyplace you go!! YEA no more street parking..
I am sure we will also love the schools as our first impressions from being there were great.
In the words of Dorothy "There's no place like home" and NC feels like home

Talia

Now if I can find a job...ahhh it will be better then perfect!!

Old 08-15-2007, 03:15 PM

3,897 posts, read 4,616,802 times
Five Guys ROCKS (be sure to order their REGULAR fries unless you are REALLY hungry - the large order is enough for three people!!!

I've loved all the things my kids can enjoy - the zoos (asheboro and riverbanks), Discovery Place, Hollywild, Lazy5Ranch, outdoor playgrounds, various indoor gyms, the neighborhood pool (just to name a few things), and now I'm about to buy tickets for the Children's Theater here in Charlotte and plan on taking my kids to one performance a month starting this October going through February!

Despite living in the NYC/NoNJ area for 10+ years, I think we've done more cultural stuff in the past 13 months of living here than we did for the last five years being in the NYC area! The biggest reason for that is our standard of living improved upon moving here, thus the ability to afford to do more things, and the fact that it's so much easier driving into Charlotte for something than it was to schlep into the city.

LOVE Charlotte!

Old 08-15-2007, 06:14 PM

673 posts, read 2,434,159 times
I like the scenery and the hills. I also like the weather better here (yes, even in this heat!) than in FL. It certainly isn't as humid here, and it is nice that you have some cooler temperatures in the morning and evening. It was 68 degrees this morning! In FL, it feels like it is 100 all day long! I'm glad to be away from the threat of hurricanes too.

As far as food goes, I have become addicted to Moe's Southwest Grill. There are also a lot of great Mexican restaurants around.

Finally, I like how friendly people are here. I definitely think this is a better environment to raise my kids in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or