Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:02 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times

Advertisements

I actually know quite a few people who have moved back from whence they came...even one family from the Czech Republic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 06:12 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I wasnt serious...cmon..although I AM moving back ....cant come soon enough..
Curious as to why, did you find the grass was not greener on the other side?

Can not see me moving back to the UK, but I think anywhere else in the USA is fair game in the future.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:24 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Curious as to why, did you find the grass was not greener on the other side?

Can not see me moving back to the UK, but I think anywhere else in the USA is fair game in the future.
Family and friends

Weather
Weather
Weather

I miss a real winter believe it or not..I miss being able to actually DO things outside in summer. I miss the crisp New England fall days.

I do not miss spring up north ..spring here is fabulous

No work options ..if I ever lost my job here,I have no network here..My job is based in CT and believe it or not I miss the office environment..nutty but true

Just don't feel home here...people are different, its just not New England.

NY Post ..

I could go on

I will miss how cheap housing is though...no denying that but money isnt everything in life.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:31 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Damn immigrants. We should put up a wall around Charlotte!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:51 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Damn immigrants. We should put up a wall around Charlotte!

YEah but then somebody would fill it with water

Old 08-31-2011, 07:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
I personally know two families who moved here w/o jobs - and still no work. One head of household is doing handyman type things. The other family - I don't know what they are doing to survive. I guess the hubby has UE checks coming in.

Both couples have told me that it was cheaper to be unemployed here than where they came from - but since one is from Georgia and the other is from Tennessee, I found that kinda hard to fathom -plus no relatives here (maybe they left to get away from relatives, lol).

Most of the folks I know here who are out of work or have taken lower paying (or lower on the management ladder) jobs - they have lived here a while b/f they lost their jobs in 2008-09. I know quite a lot of folks in the region . . . some retired early b/c they couldn't find a job to replace what they lost in 2008 - and so they stayed here.

I have folks tell me who I cross paths w/ in volunteer situations that a LOT of people have moved in and are on food stamps, have Sec. 8 vouchers, Medicaid, etc. I only know of 1 situation such as that. So . . . don't know how common it is for people to move here w/o jobs and then end up on state services - but I have a feeling it is a % worth noting (if we had access to such data).

Old 08-31-2011, 09:06 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Family and friends

Weather
Weather
Weather

I miss a real winter believe it or not..I miss being able to actually DO things outside in summer. I miss the crisp New England fall days.

I do not miss spring up north ..spring here is fabulous

No work options ..if I ever lost my job here,I have no network here..My job is based in CT and believe it or not I miss the office environment..nutty but true

Just don't feel home here...people are different, its just not New England.

NY Post ..

I could go on

I will miss how cheap housing is though...no denying that but money isnt everything in life.
No place like home and good reasons to relo, but one..the office environment??? Maybe 2 or 3 days a week, but seeing dem fools everyday...no, I would not miss that

Old 08-31-2011, 09:23 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
No place like home and good reasons to relo, but one..the office environment??? Maybe 2 or 3 days a week, but seeing dem fools everyday...no, I would not miss that
Ya know....my wife laughs and says 6 months after I get back I'll be bitching about the commute. But working from home EVERY day in a new place just isn't ideal either. I agree with you 2 -3 days a week is the way to go.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 AM

482 posts, read 945,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Just for the record, I was actually mocking the fist waving types with my title. IMO, Charlotte will continue to grow as long as we remain a cheaper place to live and do business. Many of our peer cities just can't compete with Charlotte's price range. A cheap "ok" neighborhood in Charlotte would be a staight up ghetto in peer cities with comparable rental rates. Also, Charlotte is surrounded by even cheaper "ring cities" such as Concord, Gastonia, Monroe, Rock Hill etc.

With that said, I am still surprised by the growth numbers. I honestly thought our 60k per year numerical growth had dropped due to the recession. If the current numerical rate were to continue until 2020, the MSA would hit 2.4 million by the next census (3 million for the CSA region by 2020). FWIW, America's current 14th largest CSA (Denver) has 3 million people (and Charlotte's CSA has a faster growth rate than Denver's).
"Ghetto" has racial overtones....so you don't have unsavory or undesirable places that are inhabited by any other ethnicity other than African American? And yes, I know the etymology of the word ghetto. LOL.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908WAGY View Post
"Ghetto" has racial overtones....so you don't have unsavory or undesirable places that are inhabited by any other ethnicity other than African American? And yes, I know the etymology of the word ghetto. LOL.
Many of us have posted here for a long time together - so we are aware of how URBAN was using the word "ghetto." It isn't necessary to impose racial overtones to every post on the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte