Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 12:14 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,321,256 times

Advertisements

This looks like a much bigger scam than just Union County. Please folks, stay alert and notify the authorities!

Detectives Press Probe of Magazine-Sales Scam :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Magazine scam running across NC

These folks were operating in Raleigh and Charlotte areas yesterday (August 14, 2007). Stay alert and notify the authorities if you see them. Be sure to get a good description of them (go ahead and take that ID they will show you and scan or copy it...LOL). Be care that they will gleen info from your neighbors and use it to make themselves sound legit (i.e. Mrs. Smith, your neighbor, who goes to church over at ABC Church, recommended me to you. Also, I'm staying with a relative in your neighborhood over on Moron Lane.) Do not be duped, do not give them your money.

Flim Flam Alert - Marvin area

Old 08-15-2007, 12:31 PM

185 posts, read 583,206 times
Someone also told me of a scam like that where they "sell" cleaning products door to door.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:20 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,267 times
I've been a victim of this scam. Yes, call me a dork

Last summer, a girl knocked on my door. The only reason I let her in is because I thought she looked like a cousin of mine whom I hadn't seen in a long time. She was really nice. Told me she was selling magazines so she could pay for books. Also told me she just moved to Charlotte from Arkansas and was going to be a nursing student at UNCC. Turns out at the time, I was returning to school and I found a book on her list I thought would help me out. So I decided to purchase it. It was advertised as costing about 20 dollars. I paid the upfront fee and she said my stuff would be coming in soon.

A little while later, I headed out of my apartment. I saw her hopping into a white van with New Jersey license plates. I didn't think anything of it. A few weeks later, I received an additional bill and a late notice. A couple of days later, it just so happened one of the news stations was doing a report on these scam artists. So I researched the company online, contacted the BBB, who told me to contact the BBB up in Jersey, and told them I wasn't giving them another dime and I was part of a scam. A few weeks later, I received an apology and a refund for the money I paid.

I live in Gaston County. So yeah, they managed to cross the Catawba. Don't make a mistake like I did. I got my money back, but I'm sure a lot of folks didn't and won't.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:38 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
Marvin,

Did they arrest the guy yesterday who came to your (and our) house?

Did they find the driver of the van? You were so great to stay on that!

Dawn

Old 08-15-2007, 06:56 PM

237 posts, read 855,733 times
thanks for the info.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:39 AM

876 posts, read 3,793,126 times
We get calls on these people soliciting in our city in FL all the time. Our city ordinance is NO soliciting period, so we chase them out. Half these people have warrants or extensive criminal backgrounds in residential burglaries. If they knock and no one answers, they might case the house and respond at a later time and rip off your belongings.

Stay far far far away from these people, notify law enforcement, and hopefully they'll run them for warrant checks.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
We get calls on these people soliciting in our city in FL all the time. Our city ordinance is NO soliciting period, so we chase them out. Half these people have warrants or extensive criminal backgrounds in residential burglaries. If they knock and no one answers, they might case the house and respond at a later time and rip off your belongings.

Stay far far far away from these people, notify law enforcement, and hopefully they'll run them for warrant checks.
Hey Supercharged - A neighbor who fell prey to them asked if she should worry that they will use her check to compromise her checking account/I.D.? Should she close that account?

Also, I just noticed that one of the links above no longer works (since the thread was moved). Here is the link again:

More arrests made in fundraising scam | KATU - Portland, Oregon | Local & Regional

Old 08-16-2007, 07:25 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Hey Supercharged - A neighbor who fell prey to them asked if she should worry that they will use her check to compromise her checking account/I.D.? Should she close that account?

Yes tell her to inform the bank the account has been compromised and they will issue a new account number.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Yes tell her to inform the bank the account has been compromised and they will issue a new account number.
Thanks, Flyingscotsman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte