U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 03:59 PM

81 posts, read 214,252 times

Advertisements

Hi, My family has narrowed our search to Northstone in Huntersville. After lots of research and an extended real estate tour, the lure of the brick homes, golf course, and decent housing prices has convinced us this is the spot. So, if there is anyone with Northstone "experience" I would appreciate any feedback you may have. I read somewhere in these posts about a main road being extended into the Northstone area. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Any concerns with the proposed light rail? Any other issues I need to be aware of? The neighborhood is very nice, well maintained. We are planning on a relocation next spring/summer so your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 04:21 AM

249 posts, read 368,844 times
solid choice and i think your family will like it there. I do not live there however i was a member of the country club and it is a solid neighborhood.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:55 PM

Default Thanks For Responses; golf?

KBrown; When I was there last weekend the course was being aerated. How is the golf course (condition and playability)? From what I could see it looked real nice. Worth the club commitment? Did you play in the men's league?

Thanks sirachabang for the road info

Old 09-02-2011, 05:00 AM

249 posts, read 368,844 times
It is one of the best courses in the area and i would definetely say that it is worth the membership. The course is pretty open off the tee box on most of the holes. The signature hole is a peninsula par 3 that is gorgeous. (#13)
THe greens are usually slick and are very undulating so knowing where to hit your approach shots are a must.
To answer your question i did not play in the mens league.
The only negative thing i can say about the club is that there are ALOT of members out there so you lose that small country club feel. I do not believe they have a cap on how many members can join like most clubs and that is what i did not like about it.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:55 AM

408 posts, read 986,461 times
Northstone is a good neighborhood and is in a good school district (zoned for Hough High School, rather than North Meck). Interestingly, the boundary line between the North Meck and Hough catchments runs along Ramah Church Road, which borders the neighborhood. I doubt the fact that the current school board representative for the area lives in Northstone had anything to do with that (cough, cough).

There are long term plans to realign and improve Ramah Church Road, which may be what you had heard about, but I don't think that is going to happen any time soon and in any case I don't think it would be a detriment to Northstone.

Oh, and a word to the wise, watch out for speed traps on McCord Road, which is one of the two access roads to Northstone (Ramah Church being the other). It may appear that you are way out in the country, with horse farms on either side, but the speed limit is 35 mph and trust me they will nail you. In general the speed limit anywhere in Huntersville is pretty strictly enforced.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:34 PM

Default Thanks for input

I appreciate your comments about Northstone; big help!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:43 PM

15 posts, read 43,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
Northstone is a good neighborhood and is in a good school district (zoned for Hough High School, rather than North Meck). Interestingly, the boundary line between the North Meck and Hough catchments runs along Ramah Church Road, which borders the neighborhood. I doubt the fact that the current school board representative for the area lives in Northstone had anything to do with that (cough, cough).

There are long term plans to realign and improve Ramah Church Road, which may be what you had heard about, but I don't think that is going to happen any time soon and in any case I don't think it would be a detriment to Northstone.

Oh, and a word to the wise, watch out for speed traps on McCord Road, which is one of the two access roads to Northstone (Ramah Church being the other). It may appear that you are way out in the country, with horse farms on either side, but the speed limit is 35 mph and trust me they will nail you. In general the speed limit anywhere in Huntersville is pretty strictly enforced.
Keep in mind that the boundaries for the schools have and will prob. change again. There is a very big possibility that Northstone could and will be rezoned for North Meck. My understanding is that Part or all of the Hamptons has already been rezoned back to NorthMeck. Nothing is concrete on school boundaries..

Old 04-16-2018, 05:38 PM

4 posts, read 1,142 times
We are moving from Chicago in June and have Northstone as our top option. Funny how howds was going through the same in 2011 on this post. I simply searched any articles speaking of school rezoning and this came up. Maybe howds you are out there and can tell me how your move to this neighborhood has worked out. Also I see the school zone is still Hough. Maybe there is still risk to be rezones though... we are also looking in Ballantyne

Old 04-16-2018, 06:34 PM

90 posts, read 82,833 times
They rezoned West Huntersville this past year from Hough to Hopewell. Northzone will be next and will go to North Meck. Hough will eventually be only Cornelius and Davidson as their is a ton of new development in Davidson right now. We skipped Northstone because of having to pay the social membership to use a pool.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:25 AM

4 posts, read 1,142 times
Oh man, that is good to know about the school situation. Is it 50/50 chance of this or would you say even higher????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte