U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-06-2011, 06:54 PM
 
Location: caribbean island
5,443 posts, read 5,185,967 times
Reputation: 1900

Advertisements

Even with a bagel in one hand and a slice in the other hand you k now what you're talking about.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2011, 06:59 PM
 
Location: caribbean island
5,443 posts, read 5,185,967 times
Reputation: 1900
Just passed by this other tread about a "free chick filet". WTF, think about it... waiting on line for a freebe of chicken sandwich and that gets the pop. to have an organism?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
180 posts, read 174,453 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
With regards to bagels and pizza, if you choose where you live carefully they may be within walking distance, but they likely will not be near the same quality you are used to.

I'm from Chicago and have yet to find a bagel in CLT that comes even close to the quality of the good north side Jewish delis.

If food is a deal breaker, I'd think really carefully about moving here if I were you. Diners, bagel shops, delis, and pizzerias are all lacking.
.
I guess I am missing out, but just how damn good can a bagel be? seriously, it's like saying I can't find good cereal here. Pizza, I can see the differences but even then it's just pizza. I mean enough unhappy transplants moved here and fixed that. And not the pizza hut,pappa johns crap but there are dozens of great pizza places in this town. Portifino's, Luigi's, Tony's,Luisa's Brick oven,etc. Just because you can't walk a block from your suburban home to find these item's, doesn't mean they aren't here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
8,521 posts, read 10,384,016 times
Reputation: 3249
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
I guess I am missing out, but just how damn good can a bagel be? seriously, it's like saying I can't find good cereal here. Pizza, I can see the differences but even then it's just pizza. I mean enough unhappy transplants moved here and fixed that. And not the pizza hut,pappa johns crap but there are dozens of great pizza places in this town. Portifino's, Luigi's, Tony's,Luisa's Brick oven,etc. Just because you can't walk a block from your suburban home to find these item's, doesn't mean they aren't here.
You are missing out but its not your fault.

Think about it this way. It would be like me saying "how good can BBQ be?"...

Not trying to start an argument but its the exact same thing...

I do agree w/you that there is more selection now than ever regarding pizza pie!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Union County
5,130 posts, read 4,984,621 times
Reputation: 3751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coobs22 View Post
Looking around the 350k price range. I live in Oceanside ny
If you want to maintain the Nassau county "feel" and are OK with a typical Nassau sized home (i.e. small ranch in need of updates), you can find some options in South Charlotte. If you want the newer, bigger, all brick, etc, etc house - you'll need to move further out in the burbs to a more Suffolk feel. Ballantyne is somewhat of a compromise between the 2.

If you search bagels and pizza in the forum you can read many debates on these 2 NE staples.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 09:55 AM
 
1,367 posts, read 3,604,952 times
Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
I guess I am missing out, but just how damn good can a bagel be? seriously, it's like saying I can't find good cereal here. Pizza, I can see the differences but even then it's just pizza. I mean enough unhappy transplants moved here and fixed that. And not the pizza hut,pappa johns crap but there are dozens of great pizza places in this town. Portifino's, Luigi's, Tony's,Luisa's Brick oven,etc. Just because you can't walk a block from your suburban home to find these item's, doesn't mean they aren't here.


I fully admit, I am a bagel snob. There are some better than others here (believe me, tried em all!), but none I like as much as the one's you can get in some other cities. Not a deal breaker for me, but I figure it's better to give people who ask a heads up (in case they're a fellow bagel snob). I guess technically I wouldn't even say the bagels I like are objectively "better," really it's just a different way of cooking them... I am used to a shinier, crispier crust.

I don't mean any great offense to the Charlotte area, I'm certainly not a food snob (I actually prefer Pizza Hut thin crust despite being from Chicago), it's just that bagels are different here!

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 AM
 
41 posts, read 26,564 times
Reputation: 19
I didn't mean for this to turn into a bagel conversation, lol. Food is just a small part of relocating - so i figured its the little things like that - that can end up making differences in day to day life (like trying to find a good italian place of chinese food place).

I guess there must be something to Charlotte judging by conversations with people who have moved down there. I'm sure the grass is always greener attitude should be realistic...but from what I hear it does sound like a considerably cheaper quality of life down there compared to nassau county. I'm just tired of the rat race and paycheck to paycheck living. I feel like if I sell my house up here and move there with a 60k job I should be in good shape with no mortgage to worry about. We'd plan to hook up with a church so I'm hoping some solid relationships could be built as we would be away from most family/friends up here.

Again ... any input is helpful. Thanks for your time!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 10:30 AM
 
Location: CLT native
4,282 posts, read 7,147,186 times
Reputation: 2179
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Just passed by this other tread about a "free chick filet". WTF, think about it... waiting on line for a freebe of chicken sandwich and that gets the pop. to have an organism?
Translation?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
 
5,305 posts, read 3,979,328 times
Reputation: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coobs22 View Post
I didn't mean for this to turn into a bagel conversation, lol. Food is just a small part of relocating - so i figured its the little things like that - that can end up making differences in day to day life (like trying to find a good italian place of chinese food place).

I guess there must be something to Charlotte judging by conversations with people who have moved down there. I'm sure the grass is always greener attitude should be realistic...but from what I hear it does sound like a considerably cheaper quality of life down there compared to nassau county. I'm just tired of the rat race and paycheck to paycheck living. I feel like if I sell my house up here and move there with a 60k job I should be in good shape with no mortgage to worry about. We'd plan to hook up with a church so I'm hoping some solid relationships could be built as we would be away from most family/friends up here.

Again ... any input is helpful. Thanks for your time!

Just remember..you WILL miss your family and friends..if you have nobody here you are gonna feel that. Don't be blinded by the dollar signs! Its not everything.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 11:17 AM
 
4,897 posts, read 5,581,328 times
Reputation: 3056
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Right..well, I agree crime is crime in the bad areas. Where we disagree is up north crime stays in the bad areas mostly...here it seems to drift to any area ..nowhere is immune. The reason for that is not clear to me but I feel much less safe here than up there..its not even close. Never really thought about crime much till i moved here.
That's because neighborhoods here are less segregated by income. I prefer it that way.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top