U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:07 PM

3,463 posts, read 3,157,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
What are you trying to say? You lost me...when did I EVER say crime was the reason I want to leave here..there are PLENTY of better reasons than that!

But if you think there is more crime up north than here...then you obviously don't look at the facts...but hell facts just muddle everything up right? Crime is everywhere!! I dont deny that. But here it seems to seep into "good " areas more than up north...I don't know how you can even argue this.
Maybe if you live welllll outside of the city up north but anything within a 30 minute radius of a large-metro downtown is one-eye open and one-eye close at night. Charlotte is small and not even comparable to those massive places.

Crime is worse in northern cities, no doubt and it permeates into the suburban areas. On pure fear factor alone, there is nothing comparable between northern city "hoods" and Charlotte "hoods". There are areas of Philly, NY, Baltimore and DC that are simply unspeakable. Anyone who states otherwise has (a) never been to these areas or (b) being untruthful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 03:43 PM

9,585 posts, read 8,900,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Maybe if you live welllll outside of the city up north but anything within a 30 minute radius of a large-metro downtown is one-eye open and one-eye close at night. Charlotte is small and not even comparable to those massive places.

Crime is worse in northern cities, no doubt and it permeates into the suburban areas. On pure fear factor alone, there is nothing comparable between northern city "hoods" and Charlotte "hoods". There are areas of Philly, NY, Baltimore and DC that are simply unspeakable. Anyone who states otherwise has (a) never been to these areas or (b) being untruthful.
But..I never argued the crime in the "hoods" was worse here than up north..in fact I AGREE with you. But I dont agree it permeates into the suburbs as easily as here.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:47 PM

22,033 posts, read 27,324,503 times
Quote:

You are welcome to your opinion. I disagree & I think that 40+ years pf being 10 miles from Center City Philly qualifies me to say that you are painting with a very broad brush & it is not necessarily as you say.

There are hoods in Philly where if you are not the right whatever, you don't go there. I am not speaking of any single demographic. Then there's Camden. I lived in Camden County & the crime almost never spills out with the exception of an occasional rash of car thefts at a specific mall.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:41 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,748,033 times
Quote:
So shouldn't you be applying a percentage against the population? Only way you are going to make your point, isn't it?

Old 09-07-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
But..I never argued the crime in the "hoods" was worse here than up north..in fact I AGREE with you. But I dont agree it permeates into the suburbs as easily as here.
When you state suburb, do you mean Concord, Huntersville, etc? Comparing Charlotte to Northern cities is futile and demarc between city and urbanity in Charlotte isn't easy. The suburbs of Charlotte are as safe or safer than any northern city. I feel 10x safer in Concord, NC than Upper Marlboro, MD (suburb of DC) and Upper Marlboro is quite nice and I feel safe there but there are issues with home invasions and other violent crimes due to proximity to DC.

It also depends on where those suburbs are located...but all-n-all, I feel safer here. Even in Northern VA I felt extremely safe living there, Fairfax, Reston, etc are all nice, but proximity to a metro the size of DC makes it more prone to crime than say Concord, NC to Charlotte. I feel safe in Cleveland Park (DC) area, Georgetown, Eastern Market, Capitol Hill but definitely feel safer here.

I'm not so sure about NY/NJ/Conn burbs but I know DC and Baltimore very well, crime permeates all over the burbs and you'd better take heed. Of course, some areas or worse that others but to even infer that Charlotte burbs enlist or warrant greater vigilence than burbs in DC is ridiculous.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
When you state suburb, do you mean Concord, Huntersville, etc? Comparing Charlotte to Northern cities is futile and demarc between city and urbanity in Charlotte isn't easy. The suburbs of Charlotte are as safe or safer than any northern city. I feel 10x safer in Concord, NC than Upper Marlboro, MD (suburb of DC) and Upper Marlboro is quite nice and I feel safe there but there are issues with home invasions and other violent crimes due to proximity to DC.

It also depends on where those suburbs are located...but all-n-all, I feel safer here. Even in Northern VA I felt extremely safe living there, Fairfax, Reston, etc are all nice, but proximity to a metro the size of DC makes it more prone to crime than say Concord, NC to Charlotte. I feel safe in Cleveland Park (DC) area, Georgetown, Eastern Market, Capitol Hill but definitely feel safer here.

I'm not so sure about NY/NJ/Conn burbs but I know DC and Baltimore very well, crime permeates all over the burbs and you'd better take heed. Of course, some areas or worse that others but to even infer that Charlotte burbs enlist or warrant greater vigilence than burbs in DC is ridiculous.
Its a tough one./.I see your point. I just don't remember hearing about so many home invasions and armed robberies in CT. It is what it is...crime is everywhere and you need to just be smart. If you look at crime statistics, Charlotte has more crime than where I am from but that doesn't mean you can't feel safe here or should let your guard down there.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
So shouldn't you be applying a percentage against the population? Only way you are going to make your point, isn't it?
Don't have a point other than living in the burbs in larger northern cities doesn't make me feel safer than living in Concord....nope, been there, done that. I don't think it requires a thesis.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Don't have a point other than living in the burbs in larger northern cities doesn't make me feel safer than living in Concord....nope, been there, done that. I don't think it requires a thesis.
sorry posted twice

Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I will say this ..I felt ALOT safer in Mt. Holly than I did in South Charlotte. I lived in Mt. Holly 4 years and saw very little crime. Lived in South Charlotte 8 months and we read about crime all the time it seemed. Mt. Holly was a much different world. Not sure why really, never understood it..

Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,748,033 times
Quote:
Spread the wealth around and help some ppl. get back to work....hire a body guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte