U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:00 PM

51 posts, read 51,036 times

Advertisements

Hey! I'm another possible relocated from long island ny. I've gotten a lot of info from this forum thus far so I'm really thankful. I just have a few more questions if you guys would be so kind...(I'm hoping to visit soon)
1. Can someone from ny give me a cost of living example they've experienced? Ie...in ny your electric bill for house was 300 monthly and in Charlotte is now xxx amount? I'd like to see what taxes, utilities, food, gas ,etc are like.
2. Could someone compare crime in Charlotte to that of the ny tri state area?
3. Food...if I wake up on a sat morning and want a bagel...can I walk around the corner and get some? Or are there a lot of decent pizza places around? Is everything walkable or will I need to get onto a Hwy?
4. Are most areas with housing available oly in developments? Or is it similar to long island with that suburban feel?
5. Speaking of developments...what are the better home builders I can look into? I've heard of a bunch but don't know who the better ones are.
6. Homeschooling...do any of you homeschool? Is it a popular option down there?
7. Is it mostly republican or liberal? Multi-cultural or mainly white?
8. Friends have recommended southeast Charlotte like the bellantyne area...what are those communities like?

Thank you for any input you can give!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 07:33 AM

5,787 posts, read 8,429,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coobs22 View Post
Hey! I'm another possible relocated from long island ny. I've gotten a lot of info from this forum thus far so I'm really thankful. I just have a few more questions if you guys would be so kind...(I'm hoping to visit soon)
1. Can someone from ny give me a cost of living example they've experienced? Ie...in ny your electric bill for house was 300 monthly and in Charlotte is now xxx amount? I'd like to see what taxes, utilities, food, gas ,etc are like.
3. Food...if I wake up on a sat morning and want a bagel...can I walk around the corner and get some? Or are there a lot of decent pizza places around? Is everything walkable or will I need to get onto a Hwy?
4. Are most areas with housing available oly in developments? Or is it similar to long island with that suburban feel?
5. Speaking of developments...what are the better home builders I can look into? I've heard of a bunch but don't know who the better ones are.
8. Friends have recommended southeast Charlotte like the bellantyne area...what are those communities like?

Hi there - where are you on LI? It's needed for a comparison when it comes to many of the items on our list. Especially 1, 2, and 3. Honestly, for 2 specifically I wouldn't know how to compare crime in a medium sized city to the "ny tri state area"... I don't think that's possible.

The developments give exactly the "suburban feel" to me, so I'm not sure what you mean by 4. LI was developed in a similar fashion it's just that there wasn't an emphasis on HoAs. Now 30+ years later people have done all stages of renovations to the neighborhoods, but there's so many areas of LI that you'll drive down the street and see the same exact ranch for many square miles. If you'd like to know about builders, you'll need to share your price point for the best advice.

People definitely home school... The politics question is a tough one and so is the diversity question. It will depend where you live in the metro.

Once again, the community will be different depending on your price point. Ballantyne offers many options depending on how much you're looking to spend.

My advice would be to share some more details on your requirements and you'll get much more help here. Generalizations are tough.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:55 AM

21,963 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Hi there - where are you on LI? It's needed for a comparison when it comes to many of the items on our list. Especially 1, 2, and 3. Honestly, for 2 specifically I wouldn't know how to compare crime in a medium sized city to the "ny tri state area"... I don't think that's possible.

The developments give exactly the "suburban feel" to me, so I'm not sure what you mean by 4. LI was developed in a similar fashion it's just that there wasn't an emphasis on HoAs. Now 30+ years later people have done all stages of renovations to the neighborhoods, but there's so many areas of LI that you'll drive down the street and see the same exact ranch for many square miles. If you'd like to know about builders, you'll need to share your price point for the best advice.

People definitely home school... The politics question is a tough one and so is the diversity question. It will depend where you live in the metro.

Once again, the community will be different depending on your price point. Ballantyne offers many options depending on how much you're looking to spend.

My advice would be to share some more details on your requirements and you'll get much more help here. Generalizations are tough.
I'm glad you stepped in on this, Mikey. I was wondering how anyone could answer this.

Where a job is located plays a part in where a person buys & price point plays into it too. I think that politics around here are on a town by town basis. Of course, there are liberals & conservatives in both parties, so I agree that it's pretty difficult to answer that one.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:24 PM

51 posts, read 51,036 times
Looking around the 350k price range. I live in Oceanside ny

Old 09-06-2011, 02:51 PM

174 posts, read 422,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coobs22 View Post

1. $450 / month in summertime in NY.....3,100 sq. ft. home -- $175 - $250 / month here...depending on how cool yo keep the thermostat. Gas is $0.35 a gallon cheaper here, car insurance is a lot cheaper here, groceries are the same or even more here. Taxes are in essence 1.26% of your home value -- $200k will run you about $2,500 in taxes. Homeowners insurance is cheaper by about 40-50%
2. Just like NY, there are pockets of bad areas to avoid....it's just a little trickier here as everything is just "Charlotte" as compared to Hempstead, Uniondale, Freeport, etc. You need to look on a map and ask people for the "bad areas". As a whole I would say its the same or even better here.
3. Depends were you live...some areas absolutely not, other areas have a ton of NY influence and stores are walkable but the "wakable" areas are generally in our just outside of the city.
4. Most areas are in subdivision, but there some that would make you think you were in Garden City, the trees, the look, the homes, everything. Others are cookie cutter where you would see homes that are very similar in size, look, and color.
5. This is up for debate, but MI Homes, Shea Homes, Ryan Homes are pretty decent to name a few. You cannot find 100% approval for any one homebuilder.
6. Not sure. I would imagine most kids go to school as opposed to being home schooled.
7. Not sure, I don't follow politics. Ethnicity....depends where you live. Charlotte is huge and covers so many different areas. Take it on a zip code by zip code basis.
8. Great schools, good pizza and bagels!! Expensive, but one of the most desirable places in Charlotte to live.....very family oriented. Lots of shopping and places to eat. Depending on your needs, if you had a family, I can't see why this area wouldnt be a place that you would heavily consider.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:01 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,730,113 times
Oceanside! Bagel capital of Long Island. Don't recommend moving to Charlotte.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:07 PM

9,578 posts, read 8,880,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post
1. $450 / month in summertime in NY.....3,100 sq. ft. home -- $175 - $250 / month here...depending on how cool yo keep the thermostat. Gas is $0.35 a gallon cheaper here, car insurance is a lot cheaper here, groceries are the same or even more here. Taxes are in essence 1.26% of your home value -- $200k will run you about $2,500 in taxes. Homeowners insurance is cheaper by about 40-50%
2. Just like NY, there are pockets of bad areas to avoid....it's just a little trickier here as everything is just "Charlotte" as compared to Hempstead, Uniondale, Freeport, etc. You need to look on a map and ask people for the "bad areas". As a whole I would say its the same or even better here.
3. Depends were you live...some areas absolutely not, other areas have a ton of NY influence and stores are walkable but the "wakable" areas are generally in our just outside of the city.
4. Most areas are in subdivision, but there some that would make you think you were in Garden City, the trees, the look, the homes, everything. Others are cookie cutter where you would see homes that are very similar in size, look, and color.
5. This is up for debate, but MI Homes, Shea Homes, Ryan Homes are pretty decent to name a few. You cannot find 100% approval for any one homebuilder.
6. Not sure. I would imagine most kids go to school as opposed to being home schooled.
7. Not sure, I don't follow politics. Ethnicity....depends where you live. Charlotte is huge and covers so many different areas. Take it on a zip code by zip code basis.
8. Great schools, good pizza and bagels!! Expensive, but one of the most desirable places in Charlotte to live.....very family oriented. Lots of shopping and places to eat. Depending on your needs, if you had a family, I can't see why this area wouldnt be a place that you would heavily consider.
Crime is better here? No way....

Old 09-06-2011, 03:10 PM

174 posts, read 422,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Crime is better here? No way....
For every E. Charlotte / Nations Ford / Statesville Ave. apartment stabbing you give me, I can give you the same for the the bad areas of NY. Knowing the areas is half the battle. I have never felt unsafe here, just as I have never felt unsafe in NY because I don't go to the areas that have increased crime statistics.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:23 PM

9,578 posts, read 8,880,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytarheel View Post
For every E. Charlotte / Nations Ford / Statesville Ave. apartment stabbing you give me, I can give you the same for the the bad areas of NY. Knowing the areas is half the battle. I have never felt unsafe here, just as I have never felt unsafe in NY because I don't go to the areas that have increased crime statistics.
Right..well, I agree crime is crime in the bad areas. Where we disagree is up north crime stays in the bad areas mostly...here it seems to drift to any area ..nowhere is immune. The reason for that is not clear to me but I feel much less safe here than up there..its not even close. Never really thought about crime much till i moved here.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:02 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,097,705 times
With regards to bagels and pizza, if you choose where you live carefully they may be within walking distance, but they likely will not be near the same quality you are used to.

I'm from Chicago and have yet to find a bagel in CLT that comes even close to the quality of the good north side Jewish delis.

If food is a deal breaker, I'd think really carefully about moving here if I were you. Diners, bagel shops, delis, and pizzerias are all lacking.

My impression with regards to walkability is that there are plenty of areas where you can walk to some things, but very few/none where you can really walk to everything the way you may find in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte