Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 01:47 PM

154 posts, read 328,601 times

Advertisements

i am looking for a cocktail dress for a wedding. i would like it to have some southern flair and i am having a hard time finding this perfect dress. the wedding is in october in new york so it needs to be upscale. Any ideas in the Charlotte Metro area would be great!
Thanks ya'all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 03:38 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Could you be any more specific about what you mean by southern flair? Also, what sort of budget are you working with? Is the wedding outdoors?

When I think southern flair for a New York wedding, I'm picturing strong, classic silhouettes, a strong color palette, and feminine details/accessories. Accessorize with basic pearls or other neutral-toned jewelry, but try to find something a little unique. For unique "costume" jewelry I usually go to Francesca's.

Mid-range designers that come to mind are Milly, L'Wren Scott, and Tory Burch. I know that Milly and Tory are available in Charlotte, Milly is usually $200-$400 for dresses. Not sure if they are in your price range, but that's what comes to mind for myself and maybe could be a source of inspiration. Despite being a NYC designer, I think Milly really represents perfect modern Southern style. If your budget is small, it's easier to shop cheap if you have an idea in mind that you can replicate.

White House Black Market is also very good for classic cocktail dresses and is in the $125-$175 range.

Hope that helps, if you give more specifics I may have other ideas!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:50 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verrocchio View Post
i am looking for a cocktail dress for a wedding. i would like it to have some southern flair and i am having a hard time finding this perfect dress. the wedding is in october in new york so it needs to be upscale. Any ideas in the Charlotte Metro area would be great!
Thanks ya'all
When you say Southern flair do you mean a dress you can wear with cowboy boots?

Old 09-06-2011, 06:53 PM

154 posts, read 328,601 times
I am thinking a dress with flair and one that I could not get in NYC. I am from there and would prefer not to wear the same dress as everyone else in the room. I want a unique look. Dress under 200. No cowboy boots they hurt my toes thanks though!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:36 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Based on that, I would scratch the White House Black Market recommendation, as it's a chain store. Good for basics, but you may end up with the same dress as someone else.

Have you tried local dress boutiques such as Scout & Molly's or The Pink Hanger? They carry national labels, but may have some local labels too that couldn't be found out east. Either way, most of the brands they carry are smaller and while they could be found in NYC, they're pretty unique and don't mass produce enough to where you'd be wearing the same thing as someone else.

Honestly, it's a pretty tall order since there isn't a big fashion presence in the Southeast, most brands start in NYC, and many designers just sell online to get their start now.

I remember finding one local dress label, I want to say it was Flow? Not sure if it's online or if they have stockists though. Could also try calling NC State's Textiles program and see if they have any design grads that are selling locally.

Good luck!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,237 times
For department stores try Steinmart or Belk.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:44 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Hmmm....southern flair on a budget. Wal Mart! jk

Look down in Rock Hill. There might be something down there with the style you want that isn't available in Charlotte.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:24 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verrocchio View Post
I am thinking a dress with flair and one that I could not get in NYC. I am from there and would prefer not to wear the same dress as everyone else in the room. I want a unique look. Dress under 200. No cowboy boots they hurt my toes thanks though!
I know what you mean - I will be happy to send you a dm

Old 09-13-2011, 03:22 PM

98 posts, read 246,168 times
Sloan, Pink Hanger, Petal, Scout/Molly's, Luna, Lotus....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: