U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 08:04 PM

543 posts, read 1,635,433 times

Advertisements

I'm convinced that most kept secret is that there are millions of FLIES thst swarm evrery morsel of food or drink that you may happen to open outsisde.

I was happy that there was barely a mosquito to be found. Bees, excpet for theose 3" long ones that seem to be attracted to my crotch don't bother me at all. And even the hornets that battle at the hummingbird feeder provide some entertainment.

At a minimum, we've killed at least 60 flies in our house this week. Those are the ones that sneak in when you let the dogs out or let yourself out to just hit the backyard for a bit. My son takes off his sneakers in the garage and there are swarms of them on his sneakers witin minutes. I'm not saying that's a good thing, it's definitely BOGUS!!!

Just tonight, I decided to sit in the backyard and have a beer. I was sitting there talking to my wife and looked down at my just opened beer and there were 3 flies, right at the area where my mouth would go next. Even worse is that they leave these little brown spots everytime they land. I was hoping it was chocolate syrup but I suspect otherwise. BOGUS!!!!

When we go over our friends house at Birkdale, the flies are still there but not 1/8 as bad as our yard. Maybe they can't afford to hang out there

I'm thinking that maybe it's the new construction stirring things up or that the sod is grown with manure or something like that. I'm hoping that eventually they'll go away.

They do go away at night, probably sleeping snuggly in pile of crap somewhere just waiting for me to come outside with a taco or something.

I'm trying to think of an invention, other than a trap filled with crap in it sitting at the end of my table, but haven't come up with anything yet.

Sometimes, a fly strip wrapped around an 1/4 full beer can will provide some entertainemnt.

I'm a hairy guy and they land on my arms, legs, head, feet and I can feel everyone of them and it's nothing short of a flip out when they land on me.

Forget about eating outside even when cooking out, they swarm the grill, plates, droppings(my wifes chicken that fell in the muclh, shhh) and anything else that remotely smells like food of some type.

So anyway, what's the secret to keeping em anyway? Any ideas other than a screened porch and gallons of insecticide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 08:36 PM

77 posts, read 423,608 times
That's why when I move to NC I will have a screened in porch.

We have flies in NY too. It's that time of year. My neighbor has a cherry tree that is dropping these small cherries. Ugh! The flies are all over them. I have to hose down the patio everyday.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:50 PM

316 posts, read 289,352 times
You must live near me - When grill there are hundreds. Maybe because we live on old farms - who knows.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:19 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,498,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post
I'm convinced that most kept secret is that there are millions of FLIES thst swarm evrery morsel of food or drink that you may happen to open outsisde.

I was happy that there was barely a mosquito to be found. Bees, excpet for theose 3" long ones that seem to be attracted to my crotch don't bother me at all. And even the hornets that battle at the hummingbird feeder provide some entertainment.

At a minimum, we've killed at least 60 flies in our house this week. Those are the ones that sneak in when you let the dogs out or let yourself out to just hit the backyard for a bit. My son takes off his sneakers in the garage and there are swarms of them on his sneakers witin minutes. I'm not saying that's a good thing, it's definitely BOGUS!!!

Just tonight, I decided to sit in the backyard and have a beer. I was sitting there talking to my wife and looked down at my just opened beer and there were 3 flies, right at the area where my mouth would go next. Even worse is that they leave these little brown spots everytime they land. I was hoping it was chocolate syrup but I suspect otherwise. BOGUS!!!!

When we go over our friends house at Birkdale, the flies are still there but not 1/8 as bad as our yard. Maybe they can't afford to hang out there

I'm thinking that maybe it's the new construction stirring things up or that the sod is grown with manure or something like that. I'm hoping that eventually they'll go away.

They do go away at night, probably sleeping snuggly in pile of crap somewhere just waiting for me to come outside with a taco or something.

I'm trying to think of an invention, other than a trap filled with crap in it sitting at the end of my table, but haven't come up with anything yet.

Sometimes, a fly strip wrapped around an 1/4 full beer can will provide some entertainemnt.

I'm a hairy guy and they land on my arms, legs, head, feet and I can feel everyone of them and it's nothing short of a flip out when they land on me.

Forget about eating outside even when cooking out, they swarm the grill, plates, droppings(my wifes chicken that fell in the muclh, shhh) and anything else that remotely smells like food of some type.

So anyway, what's the secret to keeping em anyway? Any ideas other than a screened porch and gallons of insecticide?

Wow, that sucks! I have to say we don't have a single problem like that in south Charlotte - we can sit out for hours, which until this heat wave we were doing every evening. I'm thinking it's got to have something to do with you being near so much new construction - something in particular attracting them or stirring them up?

I have one potential solution to offer you...get a big box fan and aim it toward you while you are sitting outside. I think even on the low setting the breeze the fan creates may blow them away from you, or at least from being able to light on you. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2007, 02:32 AM

286 posts, read 863,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post

Markh- i live right down the road from you in gilead village, and we do not have that problem-Perhaps it is you that they are attracted to

Old 08-18-2007, 02:47 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,292,887 times
Do you have a dog? I've noticed that dog poop tends to attract them....so if you have a dog make sure you are pooper scooping faithfully LOL.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:30 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,427,949 times
I am in Huntersville and I know we have a terrible fly problem here. I have put vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spray the back patio and grass as they hate vinegar. It helps a great deal.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:08 PM

26 posts, read 101,334 times
ELECTRONIC INSECT ZAPPER WITH 4 FT. EXTENSION HANDLE

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

or if you are really cheap...

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Old 08-18-2007, 07:23 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,075,696 times
I am in Weddington and haven't really had a fly problem and we BBQ alot. We sit on our front porch and no problem. But get in the grass and there are some kind of ankle biting bugs! I have some mosquito bites but I think these are gnats, whatever they are they bite and are itchy! In So Cal I maybe got one bite every 4 years or so, I had 10 bites at 1 time! Not a big fan of the bitey bugs.

In fact I don't even like the non-bitey bugs!

Old 08-18-2007, 08:10 PM

117 posts, read 367,414 times
I swear we kill about 6-10 flies a day in our house. It is driving me mad!! These flies are very smart too, they know when you have that old fly swatter in hand. I don't even have any pets so there is no poop in the yard. Just 4 kids going in and out all the time. For every one fly I kill two more hatch!! We can't even begin to sit outside and have a meal! They swarm around even when you just have a drink outside. If anyone comes up with an invention to kill those darn things, sign me up, I will be the first in line!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte