U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:38 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,366,711 times

Advertisements

I know that there are many ceremonies around the country today and TV coverage is wall-to-wall, but we all have a story to tell of where we were on that day. I know there are even former NYPD and FDNY folks that are in CLT now, that may want to share their story.

I was still in college, in Alabama, working part time at a youth shelter. One of my coworkers and I turned on the TV to see the smoking tower that was struck first, and the reporters were speculating about what happened. They were saying that a small plane crashed into the tower, probably an accident. As we ate breakfast and listened to the coverage, we watched the second plane hit the other tower. At that moment things changed in the tone of the reporters, as well as the look on my coworker's face. As they eventually told of the Pentagon being struck, I left work to go home and on my way I heard on the radio when the first tower collapsed. I was in my early twenties, no kids or wife. It was amazing to me the outpouring of support from around the world that our country received in the following days and weeks, and the overall feeling of community that we had going for us. The attacks on 9/11 were something that we will all remember and will be able to tell our kids and grandkids about. I want to thank all of the first responders and military that sacrificed and continue to do so for our safety and freedoms.

Where were you? Did you know anyone that was there? Were you there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 11:53 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,988,994 times
I was right here in Charlotte. At my office downtown when someone came in and told me a plane crashed into the world trade center.

Many went to the break room to watch TV footage and they all witnessed the second plane hit, but I wasn't one of them. I had elected to stay at my desk working on a project. After a second plane struck the other tower I didn't watch either... but I got in my car and drove around listening on the radio. I knew I didn't really want to see the horror.

We had the support of the world all right, but I can't help but think that we did exactly what OBL wanted by spending ourselves into oblivion fighting impossible wars on foreign soils over religious beliefs. Forget history, repeat history... it bears repeating.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
I was living in Lexington at the time and I remember I was glued to the TV. I was frighten as I thought we was under attack by another country.

I called my twin who was working in Charlotte at the time to see if he was in one of the skyscrapers on North Tryon. He assured me he was at home and he turn on his TV to see what I was was witnessing.

After I called him I drove over to my friend Chris & Darlene to be with good company as I was not certain what was America experiencing.
I remember discussing becoming refugees in Canada no matter that country is to cold for this southerner.

I also remember the day after and everyone was driving with American flag waving and the unity we all had for each other.
10 years later there is to much bitterness, divisiveness, and selfish attitudes we probably never see that level of patriotism.

I know at the time it was said "Never Forget" but it is time to move on.
9-11 has become to commercialize.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:34 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,647,573 times
Wtc

Old 09-11-2011, 01:46 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,797,631 times
I was in NYC, just dropped my daughter off at school on 21st Street and hopped on the crosstown bus at 23rd and 8th Avenue, headed to work. Saw the smoke in the air as I sat and assumed there was a big fire somewhere. Got to my office before 9 and wondered why people were watching the televisions on the trading floor. Walked to the televisions to see the first plane hit and didn't think much, once the second plane hit, you can hear the gasps and screams of the employees, those sounds will forever be embedded in my head. We were alerted by security to stay in the building and log off our computers, in case of power outages, to keep the traders trading. As a mother my instinct was to go get my daughter from school and bring her back to the office, at least we will be together. Once, I got outside and walked through Madison Park and saw the people with debris and blood, it was such a surreal feeling. I don't know how I made it there and back to the office, but I did. The strange part was it was like NYC had no sounds, I heard no noise, although I saw plenty of people moving about. Picked up my daughter, hugged her teachers and other parents and walked back to 24th and Park. Sat at work watching the televisions for quite a bit, as well as feud family and friends phone calls. By late afternoon, the one and only train to get me close enough was running. My daughter and I walked to 8th Avenue and took the "A" train to Brooklyn. Thank God, I had gym clothes as work--the sneakers came in handy. Once we arrived in Brooklyn, we had to walk at least 40 minutes to get home.

My company had employees at 5 WTC. They did not loose a single employee. They quickly set-up a way for employees and family to connect. A co-worker lost her firefighter fiance. The events of 9/11 will always be embedded in my thoughts. I was there to witness so much kindness of NY'ers and volunteers pulling together. One of the bankers who worked in my real estate department, decided to quit and went to work full time as a firefighter and helped with the rescue efforts (he was a volunteer firefighter for a couple of years). The way the entire office backed him was overwhelming. His parents had made a video of him growing up always wanting to be a fireman--we watched him in his underoos in helmet, all the way to his volunteer training. He was meant to be a fireman!

Walking through NYC and the subway was filled with people looking for loved ones. This was a sad part. I had to walk past missing people pictures on the subway for years, as well as the pictues on the Salvation Army walls/gates. I don't know why I kept looking at faces, but I did! The students' in my daughter's school had painted tiles that was hung on a fence. Years later, I still looked at those paintings to see what the child was thinking when they painted those tiles. I couldn't walk to the village without stopping and praying.

So awesome to see the commadrie amongst everyone. Just walking downtown was patriotic, so many flags, so many pictures, so many memories.

Last edited by Brooklyn_QueenBee; 09-11-2011 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-11-2011, 01:55 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,051,868 times
I had just moved to Virginia two months before due to my husband's death and was teaching in Alexandria Virginia, it was during my planning period and heard about it. I ran to my other colleagues room and we sat there and watched it on TV ( no kids were in the room). Then we heard about the Pentagon being hit, we not far from there. We tried not to let the kids know about it so that they could be focused and feel safe because at that time school was the safesst place for them. Lots of parents started calling, we had some whose parents or family members worked in the Pentagon. They started coming in and picking the kids up. All schools in the area were closed the next day.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:10 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,638,426 times
I was working back in NJ. It was a cool bright crisp morning....just like any other Tuesday. Remember watching Giants-Broncos the night before on MNF..Ed Mcaffery broke his leg.

Was eating breakfast at my desk and had the Z100 morning zoo on..they were kind of joking and said a twin engine plane hit the WTC....I kinda shrugged it off...when the 2nd one hit, we all knew it wasn't a random accident....internet was down and we were all glued listening to 1010 wins and Peter jennings onthe radio.

Drove home after they collapsed....couldn't work anymore that day....followed Guiliani/Kerick and how well they led at that time.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:54 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,103,299 times
I was asleep; having returned from a trip to Chicago the day before. My son called to ask if I was watching the news. (nooooooo...) He said that a plane hit one of the towers and I told him to come over and we would watch the news. As we watched the second plane hit; I was horrified and burst into tears. Very calmly, my son said "Osama bin Laden". Of course, I had no idea what he was talking about.

Seems that a couple of years before, in his terrorism class that he had taken at Keele University, Staffordshire, England, his teacher, a NATO expert on middle-eastern terrorists had taught on the possibility of this happening.

To him, it was even more surreal that it was actually happening since he had studied Osama bin Laden extensively. To me, (like most Americans) I was overcome with the emotion of the whole situation.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:48 PM

3,450 posts, read 3,132,169 times
On a flight from RDU to Chicago, landed at 7:50 am CST/8:50 am EST, hurried to catch connection to Denver and was told a plane hit the WTC and flights were delayed an hour. Went to bar, tvs were on sports channel, someone manually switched to CNN and everyone expressions went holysh%%. Bar tender switched TV back to ESPN, patrons at the bar went balistic, 5 minutes later FAA demanded all TVs turned off, announcment went-out Ohare closes in 1 hour...report to baggage claim to get luggage....could not get a call thru, could see planes landed like crazy on the runway....the next 4 hours were chaotic but consdering the situation, I was fortunate.

Still have that ticket stub..American Airlines...

Old 09-11-2011, 07:32 PM

123 posts, read 188,614 times
I was working on an Army installation in Arizona and wasn't at my desk long that morning when one of my co-workers told me. We all walked down the hall to the Colonel's office and stood there in disbelief as we watched the television. Everyone of us called family to insure everyone was safe, just wanting to hear their voice. After that day, what normally was a six minute ride to work would take two hours to get to the office due to heightened security. Terrorism classes were strictly enforced.

I worked for a Military Intelligence School as a Budget Analyst. Months later, I had to call the Pentagon to request additional funds for a Purchase Request, only to find out my point of contact that I always spoke with about this particular Purchase Request, was tragically killed on 9/11 in her office at the Pentagon. There also was a man who worked in the next building from me who left his Budget position to accept a position at the Pentagon. He was trying to make a better life for his family, and eventually move back to the small town in Arizona he and his family loved. He was also killed in the Pentagon attack.

I am now retired from Federal Service, but will always remember that day as the day it "clicked"; what a valuable job I did supporting our military as a civil servant. No matter what job you have or do not have, everyone's life has value and as I sit here now listening to the television on the 10th Anniversary of this tragic day, I pray for all the firefighters, police officers, and ordinary people who gathered and all had one purpose that particular day - to help other human beings. My prayer is people be kinder to each other and watch out for each other on every day, just not 9/11. My prayers and love to all those who died that day and to their families. I am honored to say I was serving my country on 9/11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or