Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:26 AM

26 posts, read 61,986 times

Advertisements

We are flying out of CLT tomorrow evening and plan on using the long term parking for the first time. I've always noticed alot of signs when in the airport that lots are full. I'll be traveling with 3 kids so I would like to know the downsides (if any) of parking. Also, what do they mean by Business Valet parking? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 08:50 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Business valet parking is significanlty more expensive than the other methods at CLT. Having said that, it is relatively cheap compared to other airports. It's 10 bucks a day and they drive you from their garage to the airport. Personally, I always park in the daily. At six bucks a day, I don't feel you can beat the price and have never had a problem finding parking there.

If I am out of town for a really long time, I park uptown in my monthly space and just taxi to the airport.

Airport Parking Information

Old 09-14-2011, 09:09 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,154 times
Agree with bs13690.

Daily parking (the large garages near the airport entrance) is only a few dollars more than long term. They have a shuttle that goes very often (every 10 minutes or less).

Long term is okay but you may have a long wait (15 minutes or so) and it takes an extra 5-10 minutes in travel time to get from the long term lots to the airport.

Depends on how many days you will be gone. A minivan taxi ride to the airport may work out to be cheapest and easiest method.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:20 AM

119 posts, read 247,391 times
I fly weekly, and always use long-term. I find that the buses are usually very frequent (of course there have been a few times where I have waited 10 minutes or more). Even though daily parking is closer to the airport, the bus ride is about the same length, if not less from long term. This is because the bus for daily basically has to exit and re-enter the airport to drop you off. Also, you usually have to go to the third or fourth floor of the deck in daily parking and then search the aisles for a free spot. The last two times i have parked there, I thought to myself, "why didnt i just park in long term? I would've been on the bus already instead of circling around the ramp and searching for a spot in the deck." It's only $2 difference per day for long term vs. Daily, but I think I prefer long term even of they were the same price.

As far as business valet goes, it's nice for a one-day trip and probably worth it - no searching for a parking spot and always immediate transfer to/from the airport. Your car is running, air conditioned, and ready to go when you arrive from the bus ride from the airport. But if you are gone for more than a few days, the cost just adds up too much for me for the small convenience.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:39 AM

My biggest reason for not using long term is that I prefer the covered parking that daily provides.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:03 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,260 times
I use the long term parking whenever I travel. I will usually park closer to where the bus enters the lot. The buses are usually mostly empty when I pick them up and I am also the first dropped off when I return. This make getting to the exit and paying a little quicker.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
My biggest reason for not using long term is that I prefer the covered parking that daily provides.
This is one reason I park in daily, the other is being far enough off the ground to not worry about flooding while I am away – I always try to park on the 3rd floor or higher. And I don’t worry about whether there is hail while I am away. Most of the time there is no issue, but it’s worth the extra peace of mind. I was really grateful for the covered parking during our little snow/ice storm this past winter. We were significantly delayed getting into Charlotte, arriving about 2:00 am. It was so nice not to have to scrape two inches of icy snow off our car, and not have to navigate icy, slippery lots – well worth the extra $2/day to me.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 AM

26 posts, read 61,986 times
I think I'll rule out the business valet. Not sure yet if I'll opt for daily or long term, but either way, thanks for all the tips!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermm5 View Post
I think I'll rule out the business valet. Not sure yet if I'll opt for daily or long term, but either way, thanks for all the tips!
For 4 bucks a day you cant go wrong...

Old 09-14-2011, 01:11 PM

One tip for anyone who is interested, there is a big difference in price between curbside valet and regular business valet. I used curbside one time and I thought they were the same price for some reason.

Funny part is that my approving manager didn't even bat an eye at the expense since 20 bucks a day for parking seemed normal to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: