U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 03:02 PM

157 posts, read 274,242 times

Advertisements

Uninformative (meaning not specific to Charlotte) opinions about generalized age discrimination? Stories about mom's crying? Assuming we are moving because we have to? And who said anything about "reinventing myself?" Way off track from the objective, Charlotte-specific questions originally posed.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:21 PM

5,872 posts, read 7,714,524 times
Much of it was specific to Charlotte, regarding how some of the main industries in Charlotte have lost a lot of jobs in recent years. And many of the jobs threads on here often turn into "jobs are hard to find everywhere," which is still on topic IMO.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:42 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedmiston View Post
Uninformative (meaning not specific to Charlotte) opinions about generalized age discrimination? Stories about mom's crying? Assuming we are moving because we have to? And who said anything about "reinventing myself?" Way off track from the objective, Charlotte-specific questions originally posed.
Your post says you have 12-15 more years to work, so we are assuming you are 50'ish . . . and you are looking for a job here, correct? The discussion about your securing employment here at that age IS, indeed, cogent to the topic, especially here in this closely knit town where some fields (including marketing/advertising) are very difficult to break into at any age. This isn't Chicago; people hire their friends, their college roommates, their former coworkers . . . not necessarily based on their portfolio, expertise, and skill. Just sayin' Of course, a client list or some $$ to invest in an agency would, of course, make a difference.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:11 PM

4,048 posts, read 3,275,415 times
Quote:

Not only that, but by the time a thread gets to 6 or 7 pages long, many other people may be reading the answers to glean whatever information they can relevant to the choices they are trying to make.

In other words: it isn't just about you anymore.

Finally, if you answer like this to people who are trying to help you by sharing their own life experiences and information (whether you personally find it helpful or not)...

...then you aren't going to fit in down south.

And regardless of how much of a big city it is, Charlotte is still "down south".

Just saying.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:12 PM

21,894 posts, read 27,173,603 times
Quote:
You've given us enough information to be in the ballpark when we are speaking of age discrimination. It's been in the national news, the local news & discussed in our unemployment threads. Apparently you feel that you are immune & how dare we bring it up. I'm over 50 & had work lined up here but the economy crashed as I was moving. The ballgame has changed here & the Supreme Court ruling concerning age discrimination has made it worse. I made sure that I situated myself in the most flexible location possible.

We tried to be helpful & I even suggested that you plan on going into business for yourself. You asked a question & we tried to help & be honest with you & this is how you respond. In my opinion this is a rude & curt way to tell us that you don't want to hear what we have truthfully told you.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:52 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,137,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
In theory, that sounds on target, but in reality . . . anyone over 50 trying to re-invent him/herself in order to land a job is not gonna be met w/ a lot of eager to hire employers. The few exceptions may be in the healthcare field, i.e., tech/nursing or director positions, such as w/ longterm care or assisted living.

Most folks over 50 can get all the education and certifications they want . . . but convincing employers to hire a newbie in any given field at that age is not so easy. This is not merely my personal observation; studies have shown that age discrimination in such cases truly does exist.
Yes, there is a lot of discrimination for a lot of different reasons. There are a lot of positions that 50+ folk can do with the proper training. Given the alternative of pouting and worrying about age, why not do something about it. Fact is, it's harder but not impossible.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Not only that, but by the time a thread gets to 6 or 7 pages long, many other people may be reading the answers to glean whatever information they can relevant to the choices they are trying to make.

In other words: it isn't just about you anymore.

Finally, if you answer like this to people who are trying to help you by sharing their own life experiences and information (whether you personally find it helpful or not)...

...then you aren't going to fit in down south.

And regardless of how much of a big city it is, Charlotte is still "down south".

Just saying.
Amazing talent, being able to discern southerners from non-southerners on this forum...quite amazing.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:10 PM

157 posts, read 274,242 times
This thread has been hijacked. I will be happy to entertain direct messages related to objective insights into the Charlotte job market (i.e., links to local stories, reports, news on expansion or downsizing, etc.).

Last edited by wedmiston; 09-19-2011 at 10:42 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
This thread has been hijacked. I will be happy to entertain direct messages related to objective insights into the Charlotte job market (i.e., links to local stories, reports, news on expansion or downsizing, etc.).

Try the Charlotte Business Journal:

Charlotte Business News - Charlotte Business Journal

Charlotte Observer:
Charlotte News Panthers Bobcats Sports Banking | CharlotteObserver.com

Charlotte Chamber of Commerce:

Charlotte Chamber

Charlotte City Center Planners:

Charlotte 2020 (http://www.centercity2020.info/ - broken link)

Keep abreast of these, that'll give you more insight than some of the biased (or opinionated) information recieved on CD (of course each of these will have slants), but you're better off getting the information from those folks and draw your own conclusions.

Charlotte Chambers Career Center: http://charlottechamber.com/member-info/resume-bank/ (job board)

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 09-20-2011 at 07:24 AM..

Old 09-20-2011, 07:50 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,052,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Yes, there is a lot of discrimination for a lot of different reasons. There are a lot of positions that 50+ folk can do with the proper training. Given the alternative of pouting and worrying about age, why not do something about it. Fact is, it's harder but not impossible.
LOL. I own my own business(es), have an MA, have licenses to practice in two different fields, plus have other skills (fine arts) that generate income. So I am neither pouting nor worrying about my age. However, not everyone has the level of flexibility that I do in my life. I am merely passing on what I have observed, read about, and heard from others over the age of 50.

And yes, there is a lot of discrimination out there in the work place, mainly b/c of high unemployment. Employers don't have to look for qualified folks and spend thousands of $$ recruiting people; they have stacks of qualified applicant info sitting on their desks. It becomes a matter of deciding how to eliminate the contenders rather than searching for that one right potential employee.

That is what people need to understand b/f they move here without a job . . . we have a highly educated out of work population here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte