U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 10:22 PM

13 posts, read 39,667 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I am a foreigner who is an IT Professional lives in Iowa state. Since I got a new job I have to relocate either to Malvern,PA or Charlotte,NC. And I have to make a quick decision.

Here are the criteria I have in mind. I wanted to have a good life with friends and make new neighbors. I also wanted to save some cash. I grown up in a city-like area, so I enjoy it the most. I would also prefer to live in apartment (if it is no more than $700/month) rather than with room mate. I love silence and low crime rate.

Based on my criteria and living expense in those two areas which one do you recommend me? In case if you know only one of the places, please let me know your experience.

Thank you guys.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 12:23 AM

21,826 posts, read 27,079,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coder4ever View Post
Hi guys,

I am a foreigner who is an IT Professional lives in Iowa state. Since I got a new job I have to relocate either to Malvern,PA or Charlotte,NC. And I have to make a quick decision.

Here are the criteria I have in mind. I wanted to have a good life with friends and make new neighbors. I also wanted to save some cash. I grown up in a city-like area, so I enjoy it the most. I would also prefer to live in apartment (if it is no more than $700/month) rather than with room mate. I love silence and low crime rate.

Based on my criteria and living expense in those two areas which one do you recommend me? In case if you know only one of the places, please let me know your experience.

Thank you guys.
Malvern is a very nice area near Philadelphia. Is the Charlotte location in Charlotte or outside of the city?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:07 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,145,535 times
Just curious is your new job at Vanguard? That's the first company that comes to mind that I know of that has offices in Malvern and Charlotte.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:20 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,118,429 times
I don't know anything about Malvern, but if it's close to Philadelphia, I would say move there. You'll have access to all of the places on the east coast that foreign visitors typically want to see - NYC, Washington DC, Boston, etc.

Here's a crime rate comparison for you as well: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 06:13 AM..

Old 09-15-2011, 09:27 AM

2,147 posts, read 3,654,360 times
Malvern is on the Main Line. Very old, historic area, considered nice community. Malvern is a good hour west of Center City. I lived in Philly in the 80s and I would think the COL is quite a bit higher than Charlotte.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Malvern is on the Main Line. Very old, historic area, considered nice community. Malvern is a good hour west of Center City. I lived in Philly in the 80s and I would think the COL is quite a bit higher than Charlotte.
True, Malvern is on the Main Line, but is not far from West Chester, which has the college & is slightly out of the loop for the usual commuters into Center City from the Main Line.

If this is, in fact, Vanguard, the Malvern location puts him on the Main Line, but in a high-tech corridor, along 202. The Charlotte location puts him in SW Charlotte, just south of the airport.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 AM

11,217 posts, read 19,627,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coder4ever View Post
Hi guys,
I would also prefer to live in apartment (if it is no more than $700/month) rather than with room mate. I love silence and low crime rate.
I doubt that you could find a 1-BR apartment in Malvern for $700. You might find one in Charlotte. Although I like the Philadelphia area, I would research those costs before making a decision.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:42 AM

Here's the best analysis that I can give you. Dealing 1st with your price, it's unlikely to get a rental in Malvern for $700. You might want to look down 202 at West Chester, which is a lovely old town in a rolling countryside. It is not urban, but neighboring West Goshen has built up & is fairly suburban. Continuing down 202 you would cross the state line into Delaware. You could look at or near Talleyville, DE, which is on the outskirts of Wilmington, DE. Going west from Malvern on Rt 30 gets you to Exton, which I don't think will give you what you want, on any level. Northeast gets you to Valley Forge which just is not likely to get you what you want, on any level. Your other option is to possibly get a small one bedroom in a neighborhood adjacent to Center City, in Philadelphia itself. It's unlikely, but possible. That would mean taking SEPTA regional rail to Malvern & hoping that the job is walkable from the station. SEPTA | Regional Rail Schedules

My suggestion is this. Post on the Philadelphia board & ask if $700 is feasible in Queen Village or near the art museum. In a separate post on that board ask if $700 is feasible in or near West Chester. Then go to the Delaware board & ask about the feasibility of $700 in or near Talleyville.

People here can give you good, detailed information concerning the Charlotte location, but you need to ask questions on the other boards to get the detail that you need to make the best decision for you.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:09 PM

284 posts, read 529,766 times
For what it's worth, I grew up on the Main Line and know Malvern very well. I still get back there every so often. I have lived in Charlotte for six years with other cities/states in between.

The main dependency in your question is what you mean by "city-like". Malvern is basically a suburb, but there are certain areas within Malvern which are actually a bit more on the urban side, and potentially some areas nearby will have an urban feel as well. Still, you won't be in a truly urban environment, so it goes back to what exactly you mean by "city-like".

As for Charlotte, I have many reasons why I live here as opposed to where I grew up - I'm happy to share thoughts with you if you'd like to DM me.

In any case, best of luck with your decision!

Old 09-15-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator803 View Post
For what it's worth, I grew up on the Main Line and know Malvern very well. I still get back there every so often. I have lived in Charlotte for six years with other cities/states in between.

The main dependency in your question is what you mean by "city-like". Malvern is basically a suburb, but there are certain areas within Malvern which are actually a bit more on the urban side, and potentially some areas nearby will have an urban feel as well. Still, you won't be in a truly urban environment, so it goes back to what exactly you mean by "city-like".

As for Charlotte, I have many reasons why I live here as opposed to where I grew up - I'm happy to share thoughts with you if you'd like to DM me.

In any case, best of luck with your decision!
I've never had a good enough reaon to go to Paoli, but worked with guys who passed comments about it. Would that be one of the areas that you are speaking of?

Something tells me that this isn't the only time that we'll need to discuss the 2 areas. I'd like to get it as right as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte