U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:11 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,941,592 times

Advertisements

Posted this on another thread . . . but thought since I mentioned here that I was gonna experiment and see what happened . . . hubby hooked up a very small flat screen HDTV to a $30 antenna and VOILA! He now has TV in his office! We are simply stunned at the clarity of the picture he is getting.

Gonna do more experimenting and see what we can live without . . . drastic move to drop UVerse but their prices are highway robbery and in our particular case - we have not been happy w/ our service b/c we are too far away (nearly 3000 ft) from the "node" (or whatever you call it). We rarely have a really good picture and our service drops out frequently - sometimes several times a day, despite techs in and out, boosters, replacing gateways, etc etc etc.

Never could get that little TV up in hubby's office to work - yet were paying for the UVerse box for that TV. Pretty dumb. We returned it 2 months ago after the last tech said there was no way to get service up to his office b/c of our cable wire (wh/ is BS b/c we had it replaced and we had a superb signal up there while on TWC).

Anyway, all these months we have paid extra for a box for his office TV, trying to get even a crappy picture . . . and all he had to do was go nekkid and get an antenna. We are pretty disgusted w/ the money we wasted . . . and now we are gonna just have to buck up and give up some stations in return for saving A LOT of money a month.

Even w/ having to pay for WiFi separately . . . we will save about $100 a month for TV. In my book, that is significant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 12:51 PM

11,712 posts, read 9,322,537 times
that's $1200 a year... extremely significant.

The wife and I got rid of our land line as well. It's crazy to have a land line and a cell phone.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:02 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,450,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
It's crazy to have a land line and a cell phone.
Unfortunately international calls plus a terrible cell signal means I'll continue to have both. I haven't had a single cell provider work consistently in my house, but walk 100ft in any direction and normal service resumes.
Beginning to think I've got a roof made of lead.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
that's $1200 a year... extremely significant.

The wife and I got rid of our land line as well. It's crazy to have a land line and a cell phone.
i don't blame you. Hubby has to have a LL b/c he has a medical device that transmits data thru/ the phone line. I will look into the possibilities of somehow transmitting the data thru/ cell phone but I don't think it is set up to be used that way.

But my main question is . . . if I am using over-the-air TV and cell phone, how do I get WiFi? Don't I have to have a LL and DSL to get WiFi? (I know that probably sounds stupid, lol, but I was sitting here thinking about that . . . )

And yes - $1200 a year IS significant. That is a tidy little sum over 10 years.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:29 PM

11,712 posts, read 9,322,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
i don't blame you. Hubby has to have a LL b/c he has a medical device that transmits data thru/ the phone line. I will look into the possibilities of somehow transmitting the data thru/ cell phone but I don't think it is set up to be used that way.

But my main question is . . . if I am using over-the-air TV and cell phone, how do I get WiFi? Don't I have to have a LL and DSL to get WiFi? (I know that probably sounds stupid, lol, but I was sitting here thinking about that . . . )

I thought this as well... but when I called Uverse to cancel I asked them if I could turn off the LL without effecting my DSL which is wireless and they said they could do it without interrupting service or changing my connection speed.

At 12:01 both the TV and LL were off but my internet is still on.

I'm actually a fan of Uverse but I need to save money. When I canceled they gave a UPS number and all I had to do was take the equipment to a UPS. No cost to ship it.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:01 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,793,499 times
Thanks Dawn for the link to AntennaWeb. It certainly is making me ponder cutting the cable. Like everyone said, if I don't like it I can always go back to TW.
[quote=DawnW;20968816]This site should give you a pretty good idea of what you can pick up:

AntennaWeb

Old 09-23-2011, 03:11 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,240,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

They'll just turn off the rest of your service and leave your internet connection working. It's only WiFi after it gets to your home and goes through a modem/wireless router setup. The same goes for people who have cable and think they need to keep cable TV service to get internet through TWC. They don't.

You might be better off with Roadrunner anyway, so consider switching to them, and dumping U-verse altogether.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I thought this as well... but when I called Uverse to cancel I asked them if I could turn off the LL without effecting my DSL which is wireless and they said they could do it without interrupting service or changing my connection speed.

At 12:01 both the TV and LL were off but my internet is still on.

I'm actually a fan of Uverse but I need to save money. When I canceled they gave a UPS number and all I had to do was take the equipment to a UPS. No cost to ship it.
I think UVerse is terrific - as long as you can get the signal to your house properly. I know folks who are very pleased w/ UVerse - we, sadly, just haven't had a good experience.

Nice to know that there is no cost to ship the equipment! I am surprised!

TY for the info re: net connex. I had no idea they would allow us to have DSL w/o paying for a LL, too.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
They'll just turn off the rest of your service and leave your internet connection working. It's only WiFi after it gets to your home and goes through a modem/wireless router setup. The same goes for people who have cable and think they need to keep cable TV service to get internet through TWC. They don't.

You might be better off with Roadrunner anyway, so consider switching to them, and dumping U-verse altogether.
This is wild! I was told so many conflicting things when I tried to cancel UVerse during the first 30 days . . . and only recently got an entirely different story from a person at UVerse. When I tried to cancel and return to our previous system, and keep only the TV, I was told that we could not switch back to a LL w/ DSL as the "wiring" had changed. I swear to you! I said - ummm- even I know that isn't true . . . same wires, for heaven's sake. And I was told that AT&T would not allow us to pick and choose - we either had to start w/ the phone and build on that (i.e, then add wireless, and then add TV) . . . or no deal.

I even wrote all that stuff down - I had not misunderstood. I guess some folks will just tell consumers anything to keep them from cancelling, lol.

Hubby checked and we do have to keep a dedicated landline for his medical device. But that doens't mean we have to have all the bells and whistles, as we do now.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:37 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,092,034 times
Unfortunately, I only watch a network station one day a week. The rest of the time, I watch cable stations like TV Land, Nick at Night & WGN...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte