Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:56 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times

Advertisements

Have any of you folks tried using products such as HULU-Plus, ROKU or Boxee?

There was an article in the WSJ recently which mentioned those products; the article stated that in excess of 360,000+ cable/satellite subscribers dropped those products through the first 10 months of 2011.

I don't know if any of those products has a monthly subscription, or if you just spend the $$$ upfront when you buy the product, and then you're all set---can anybody shed some light on that?

Thanks for any tips; $80.00/month for DirecTV to watch maybe 15 channels tops is asinine out here in SoCal, and I'm looking for opinoions from anybody who has 'cut the cord'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 10:10 AM

461 posts, read 985,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Have any of you folks tried using products such as HULU-Plus, ROKU or Boxee?

There was an article in the WSJ recently which mentioned those products; the article stated that in excess of 360,000+ cable/satellite subscribers dropped those products through the first 10 months of 2011.

I don't know if any of those products has a monthly subscription, or if you just spend the $$$ upfront when you buy the product, and then you're all set---can anybody shed some light on that?

Thanks for any tips; $80.00/month for DirecTV to watch maybe 15 channels tops is asinine out here in SoCal, and I'm looking for opinoions from anybody who has 'cut the cord'.
We use the game systems to stream Netflix and Hulu (old school, not plus, requires another program), and OTA for local. Don't feel like we miss a thing, and it's 8 bucks a month for the Netflix. DM me if you want a complete rundown of my setup.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
I been thinking about getting Roku boxes too, how is this diffrent than Hulu? Does it offer Cnn?
Also I dont know what OTA is above is that antenna service?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:14 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,178 times
Sunny, yes CNN is offered on the Roku box. Both Hulu and Roku are similiar, if you have the Roku box, you still must pay separately for the Hulu television. They are separate services, it depends on your movie preferences, I prefer the Roku for their foreign film selection. Let someone else who has Hulu gives more information.

I attempted to get rid of my cable about three months ago, I didn't make it past three weeks. I had it reinstalled. I do love my Roku box and the fact that I can watch movies in Charlotte and my college daughter can stream on her laptop at college, without paying extra.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:39 AM

958 posts, read 1,724,815 times
I would advise you guys to purchase a new blue ray player that has the wifi enabled. This should include a lot of demand services like the Roku Box.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:46 PM

539 posts, read 1,498,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I been thinking about getting Roku boxes too, how is this diffrent than Hulu? Does it offer Cnn?
Also I dont know what OTA is above is that antenna service?
OTA stands for "Over the Air", it just means using an antenna to get local channels

Old 01-15-2012, 12:57 PM

I dumped Directv 2 months ago and have not looked back. I built a HTPC (Home Theater PC) for the 2 TV's I have and put up an antenna in my attic. I run that thru a HD Homerun whick allows me to use the PC as a DVR. (The HD Homerun has 2 tuners in it and hooks into my home network). I use Windows media center on the PC's, which is part of windows 7, to watch the shows I want. It has a built in guide and I use a $10 windows remote that aloows me to control everything just as you would a on a DVR.

I also suscribed to Netflix for $8/month and installed "Boxee" software on the PC and Hulu desktop on it to access those. There is no cost for those (it is not huluplus, just hulu).

here are some links to a forum that provides great info:
Home theater pc info - Home Theater Computers - AVS Forum

Media players (such as Roku) - Networking, Media Servers & Content Streamers - AVS Forum

I love saving 80/month and right now I am watching the football game in beautiful uncompressed HD.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:35 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,792 times
Car-how are you getting your HD antennae signal down from your attic to your TVs? I have an HD antennae Niue and it works ok but is right next to TV so no doubt it'd be a lot better in the attic.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Car-how are you getting your HD antennae signal down from your attic to your TVs? I have an HD antennae Niue and it works ok but is right next to TV so no doubt it'd be a lot better in the attic.
When I had my house built I had all rooms prewired with cable/cat5 and had a spare sitting in the attic. This of course makes it easier.
All my lines go to a box in my closet and get distributed from there. I just hooked up the antenna to the spare line, attached the other end to my HD homerun, plugged the HD homerun into my router and pick the signal up at the TV's thru my HTPC's.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:10 PM

207 posts, read 445,405 times
We also gave up our cable and have not regretted it...we save 100 a month. We are not big sports people though, I don't know how my brother would be able to do this he watches ESPN 24/7.

We had a roku for the bedroom $50.00(already had netflix before with cable) and bought an outdoor antenna + Tivo for $100 from best buy which we use in living room. If you are only using an antenna you can get a special 9.99 month rate from tivo...records all my tv shows (I get all the major networks with antenna) plus also streams netflix, hulu, amazon on demand, youtube...with huluplus we didn't get cbs and cw shows (they just added cw)...plus i love the ease of a dvr. I also have a blu ray player that streams so I could use that with hulu if I ever want to get rid of the tivo.
the only thing i miss is cable news...otherwise we never run out of stuff to watch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte