Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:25 AM

149 posts, read 410,358 times

Advertisements

For the Roku, Hulu, Amazon Vid, etc...

I have 12mbit DSL from Windstream, and would have to connect these devices through wireless since the Tvs are somewhat away from the router. Any issues with choppiness or picture quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 08:59 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car421 View Post
I love saving 80/month and right now I am watching the football game in beautiful uncompressed HD.
I'm curious how you watch football games - I have been going to some sites like frontrow or vipticket and the games I have been streaming have been marginal at best - but better than hearing it on the radio.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:12 AM

338 posts, read 796,720 times
We did an experiment for a week with no DirectTV, with using just a Roku Box and over the air. Needless to say we dropped DirectTV. Lots of new devices out there supporting the cable cutting world especially if you like to DVR.

https://www.simple.tv/

Great indoor antenna, made here in NC.
Mohu Leaf Indoor HDTV Antenna

Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 AM

338 posts, read 796,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizoid2k View Post
For the Roku, Hulu, Amazon Vid, etc...

I have 12mbit DSL from Windstream, and would have to connect these devices through wireless since the Tvs are somewhat away from the router. Any issues with choppiness or picture quality?
I have a 3rd floor in my house and I use my PS3 to view Netflix and Hulu, and dont have issue using a Belkin router. Now my neighbour with an old Netgear wireless router cant get anything more that 20 ft from it.

So it can greatly depend on the wireless equipment and the building materials in between.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:44 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
Unfortunately international calls plus a terrible cell signal means I'll continue to have both. I haven't had a single cell provider work consistently in my house, but walk 100ft in any direction and normal service resumes.
Beginning to think I've got a roof made of lead.
Why don't you used SKYPE for international calls?

We've never had a land line since we moved here and ditched DISH 2 months ago.
We increased our internet broadband for an extra $10 (to $45 per month) and now use Hulu, UKiVPN and watch other programmes directly from the channel websites via the computer.
We pay $10 per month for the UKiVPN unlimited viewing and that's it.
We rent DVDs from our local rental-family video at really cheap prices maybe once a week.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:45 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Default Regional channels

If you install a good outdoor antenna and preamp, you can also receive stations from neighboring markets such as Greensboro, Asheville-Greenville-Spartanburg, and Columbia. I watch the Charlotte news stations a good bit down here in Greenville, SC, where with digital TV, they come in perfectly clear in high definition. No snowy picture like the analog days. And you can also consider a Tivo or Channel Master DVR for OTA recording, or build your own HTPC.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:17 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I'm curious how you watch football games - I have been going to some sites like frontrow or vipticket and the games I have been streaming have been marginal at best - but better than hearing it on the radio.
Game has to be on local channel through antenna. The quality is better than anything else because it isn't being re-compressed. I don't know if ESPN 3 shows football or not but quality on that through my XBOX is outstanding and in HD.

I assume ROKU has ESPN 3 but I'm not sure.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:22 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Why don't you used SKYPE for international calls?

We've never had a land line since we moved here and ditched DISH 2 months ago.
We increased our internet broadband for an extra $10 (to $45 per month) and now use Hulu, UKiVPN and watch other programmes directly from the channel websites via the computer.
We pay $10 per month for the UKiVPN unlimited viewing and that's it.
We rent DVDs from our local rental-family video at really cheap prices maybe once a week.
FYI, UKiVPN might be easier to use because you don't have to download any software, but Witopia is quite a bit cheaper and you can choose servers all over the world to connect to in order to get their local TV.

BBC of course is wonderful especially if you have an XBOX because you can download most programs in Media Center format and watch them through the XBOX in HD.

https://www.witopia.net/products/

Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 AM

416 posts, read 928,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Game has to be on local channel through antenna. The quality is better than anything else because it isn't being re-compressed. I don't know if ESPN 3 shows football or not but quality on that through my XBOX is outstanding and in HD.

I assume ROKU has ESPN 3 but I'm not sure.

I've got a Roku. Not sure if there is an ESPN app, but I don't think so. You can get ESPN3 by purchasing PlayOn and using their "channel". The problem is that TWC will not allow you to stream ESPN3 if you do not have at least standard cable (which includes ESPN). They block the ESPN3 signal from the website. The only work-around I know is to know someone's username/password that has a Verizon account and logging on to the website that way. Even doing that, I can't access ESPN3 through my Xbox360 or Roku. I can only access it by connecting an HDMI cable from my computer to my TV.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:58 PM

207 posts, read 445,441 times
we don't have any issues with our netgear router which is on 2nd floor and our roku and tivo which are on the first. Once in a while our internet will get a little slower around 9-10pm, but that's usually because we are both online and watch tv too. We just turn off the laptops at that time and no issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte