U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:39 AM

5,802 posts, read 5,449,830 times

Advertisements

Will buying an HDTV indoor antenna result in a better picture on a non-HD TV set?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 10:25 AM

335 posts, read 589,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Will buying an HDTV indoor antenna result in a better picture on a non-HD TV set?
Hmmmm... It may result in no picture at all.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:53 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,643,982 times
Quote:
That depends. Are you seeing artifacts such as squares in the picture from time to time or what appears to be skipping? If so then yes it should improve the picture by possibly getting rid of the artifacts.

Mostly, digital TV is an all or nothing deal. So if you are not seeing artifacts you probably won't get a better picture. It's all 0s and 1s after all. A better antenna won't make the 0s and 1s better, it will make it better by "catching" more 0s and 1s if that's a problem you currently have.

Otherwise, the outdoor antenna (or something in the attic) will likely bring in more channels if you're not picking up everything possible now.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:54 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,643,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goindownsouth2011 View Post
Hmmmm... It may result in no picture at all.
I assume he's using a converter box or a VCR with an ATSC tuner in it.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:45 PM

37 posts, read 56,117 times
Let it go, it's ok. Been without cable for over a year. Pulled the cable plug from the TV, stuck a large paperclip, received 5 channels crystal clear. Eventually purchased an antenna, placed in the attic along with a purchase of a Roku, and hardly miss any of it.

now working on the internet thing?

Old 01-27-2012, 04:02 PM

181 posts, read 301,405 times
Been without for a year using antenna,free channels I still pick up from cable, and netflix dvd.

Just got a roku and now with streaming netflix I feel as though I have too much stuff to watch!! It's the perfect combo.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
To save money, gonna disconnect the cable television from my household. I still have an old tube television set and not a flat screen, what kind of antenna/box should i purchase....Apologies but a little "green" about this subject.

Hi there,
my wife and I cut the cable 3 months ago. We got a good digital antenna, a TIVO to record non-cable channels (yep you can do that!) , a streaming subscription to Netflix (which freakin' ROCKS) and a little device called a Roku, which pulls in all kinds of cool stuff. We also got some cabling to hook up one of the computers through the TV, like some others here have suggested.
After doing the one time costs for the Roku and cabling, we now pay "that cable company which shall not be named" about 40 bucks a month for Internet access, plus about 8 bucks for Netflix streaming. We have content we never dreamed of until now

The only thing we CANT seem to get is Fox News, which sucks, because we like to watch it and CNN to try to get some different viewpoints. But seriously, are we going to pony up another 140 a month for one channel?

A note to sports fans: obviously you cant get really cool sports packages this way. Again, we had to make a choice, and we figured, screw it, we really wanna watch a game, we'll go to a sports bar and grab a brew and watch the game there.

Again, it all depends on what you want out of life

Old 01-27-2012, 05:55 PM

539 posts, read 1,311,779 times
Quote:
Sorry, but no. There is actually no such thing as an "HD antenna". An antenna ia an atenna, it just picks up signals and you should not pay more for an antenna just because it says "HD".
Take a look at this:
HDTV Antenna Hype - No Such Thing as an HDTV Antenna

Old 01-27-2012, 05:58 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,449,830 times
GCharlotte---I'm not getting anything on this TV because it hasn't been used recently; I have DirecTV on my TV in the living room, but I'm going to suspend service on it after the Super Bowl for 6 months, and come back in the summer at a substantially discounted rate ($35.99/vs. $78.98/month).

Consequently my questions are aimed at determining my options for my other TV set, which is only 5 or 6 feet from a window.

I can't seem to find any information on what ROKU's content is, and I can only assume that if you do get it, you also have to have 'something else' (which in my case would be a converter box and some type of antenna) in order to receive your local TV stations (there are 20+ of them out here in Los Angeles according to AntennaWeb).

Thanks to everyone else for your replies, and I look forward to reading more of them.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:53 PM

181 posts, read 301,405 times
Roku operates over wifi, so you would need one of those. It has nothing to do with OTA channels. Its just another device like a dvd,vcr. You can connect it with rca cables for an older tv. You would need a converter and antenna to get local channels, but thats the case no matter what on an older tv.

check their content here

Roku Channel Store | Netflix, Amazon Video On Demand, Hulu Plus & More on Roku Streaming Player

Roku Streaming Player | Watch Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Crackle and More on Roku Player
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte