Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:10 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyWalrus View Post
The only thing we CANT seem to get is Fox News, which sucks, because we like to watch it and CNN to try to get some different viewpoints. But seriously, are we going to pony up another 140 a month for one channel?

PlayOn lets you watch movies, shows, live sports and more from over 35 channels like Hulu, Netflix, Comedy Central, PBS on your TV with your Wii, PS3, Roku, Xbox, and more. | PlayOn allows you to watch clips from Fox and CNN on your TV if you have a supported gaming console. It's the web content but easy to watch on the TV.

The XBOX 360 is great with Windows 7 because it supports Playon but also is a DVR so you can schedule, watch, stuff like the TIVO does. You need a tuner card for this but they are cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
GCharlotte---I'm not getting anything on this TV because it hasn't been used recently; I have DirecTV on my TV in the living room, but I'm going to suspend service on it after the Super Bowl for 6 months, and come back in the summer at a substantially discounted rate ($35.99/vs. $78.98/month).

Consequently my questions are aimed at determining my options for my other TV set, which is only 5 or 6 feet from a window.

I can't seem to find any information on what ROKU's content is, and I can only assume that if you do get it, you also have to have 'something else' (which in my case would be a converter box and some type of antenna) in order to receive your local TV stations (there are 20+ of them out here in Los Angeles according to AntennaWeb).

Thanks to everyone else for your replies, and I look forward to reading more of them.
Yes, you are correct. You need an antenna for the over the air local channels. I recommend you get one sooner than the Super Bowl so you can compare the picture quality. I'd bet it will be better with the antenna than through sat.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:58 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
So a moderately priced (under $15.00) set of rabbit ears from Radio Shack or WalMart, combined with a converter box would do the trick, correct?

Old 01-28-2012, 06:49 AM

539 posts, read 1,497,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
So a moderately priced (under $15.00) set of rabbit ears from Radio Shack or WalMart, combined with a converter box would do the trick, correct?
It shuld work. You only need a converter box if you have an older set.
Take a look here: AntennaWeb
click on the box that says "choose an antenna" and follow along. You put in our address and it shows you where all the stations broadcast in relation to your home and how far. This will help you pick out the antenna you need. The further you are the larger the antenna you will need.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:32 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Terk HDTVi/HDTVa and Clearstream 1 are good indoor antennas that work well in Charlotte, as most major digital channels are UHF with strong signals. The rabbit ears on the Terk will help with WTVI, the lone VHF. Radioshack sells better budget antennas than Walmart. Get the basic rabbit ears and loop.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Terk HDTVi/HDTVa and Clearstream 1 are good indoor antennas that work well in Charlotte, as most major digital channels are UHF with strong signals. The rabbit ears on the Terk will help with WTVI, the lone VHF. Radioshack sells better budget antennas than Walmart. Get the basic rabbit ears and loop.
Ohhhh didn't know WTVI was VHF. That's why I'm not picking it up. I've got the Terk HDTVa and am very happy. Now I got to adjust it for the WTVI.

thanks!

Old 01-30-2012, 12:47 AM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Extend the rabbit ears and adjust for WTVI-42. They are actually broadcasting on RF11 with a rather weak signal. Also try without the amp plugged in, as you may be overloading the tuner and drowning out the weaker signal. And you can also receive alternative PBS programming on UNC-TV 58 and SC ETV 30. The tapered arrow part of the antenna should give you reliable reception of 3, 9, 18, 36 and 46 without major difficulty, which includes your CBS, ABC, NBC, and Fox. Plus these stations have additional subchannels that feature classic TV and movies, such as Antenna TV, MeTV, and ThisTV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte