Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:21 PM

222 posts, read 549,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I would hope she will get people out and vote in the May primary the republicans has an amendment to constitution to ban marriage, civil unions, domestic partnerships and other relationship recognition for same-sex couples.

Meaning all the companies that have domestic partner benefits like Wells Fargo, BOA, Cisco, Blue Cross would be void.
North Carolina could be seen as back woods again if this amendment passes.
Are you certain that you are interpreting this legislation correctly? Generally, initiatives like this only ban gay marriage, civil unions, and domestic partner benefits on the part of the government, meaning that the government of the state will not be allowed to recognize same sex couples or give them benefits. I have yet to see a piece of legislation that would actually prevent private companies from doing whatever they like in this regard.

I am a big supporter of gay rights, and I think this legislation is a bunch of nonsense no matter what it does, but I just think that you may be interpreting the reach of the legislation incorrectly. I mean, the companies you cited above are major corporations that are probably incorporated under the laws of the State of Delaware anyway. Maybe I'm naive, but I highly doubt that a referendum passed in North Carolina is going to change the way major corporations like Wells Fargo operate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 08:20 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
Are you certain that you are interpreting this legislation correctly? Generally, initiatives like this only ban gay marriage, civil unions, and domestic partner benefits on the part of the government, meaning that the government of the state will not be allowed to recognize same sex couples or give them benefits. I have yet to see a piece of legislation that would actually prevent private companies from doing whatever they like in this regard.

I am a big supporter of gay rights, and I think this legislation is a bunch of nonsense no matter what it does, but I just think that you may be interpreting the reach of the legislation incorrectly. I mean, the companies you cited above are major corporations that are probably incorporated under the laws of the State of Delaware anyway. Maybe I'm naive, but I highly doubt that a referendum passed in North Carolina is going to change the way major corporations like Wells Fargo operate.
Apparently the original text of the bill did hint at banning other types of unions besides marriage and I think a lot of people are still quoting what they heard out of that. The current version is only about what the state recognizes.

Text of the bill: SL2011-0409

Some discussion including what the old text had in it that is spooking people more than just the marriage ban: Anti-LGBT Constitutional Amendment FAQ — Equality North Carolina (http://equalitync.org/amendment - broken link)

Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 PM

495 posts, read 1,077,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Apparently the original text of the bill did hint at banning other types of unions besides marriage and I think a lot of people are still quoting what they heard out of that. The current version is only about what the state recognizes.

Text of the bill: SL2011-0409

Some discussion including what the old text had in it that is spooking people more than just the marriage ban: Anti-LGBT Constitutional Amendment FAQ — Equality North Carolina (http://equalitync.org/amendment - broken link)
The text of the CURRENT bill as you linked it is as follows:

"marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State.""

You have to read the text carefully. The above text does not mean that among marriages, the state will only recognize heterosexual marriages, but instead that a heterosexual marriage is the only type of domestic union, marriage or otherwise, that the state will recognize. In other words, the state will not recognize other types of domestic unions, such as civil unions or other unions affording similar benefits, unless it falls under some very narrow exceptions involving private contracts between parties. They will only recognize MARRIAGE, and only between a man and a woman. So yes, it is more than just a marriage restriction. It's a "heterosexual marriage and nothing else" ban.

Indeed, many important rights may still be curtailed even under the revised definition, such as:
* domestic violence protections for members of unmarried couples
* existing child custody and visitation rights that seek to protect the best interests of children
* invalidating trusts, wills, and end-of-life directives
* invalidating domestic partner benefits offered by various municipalities

The amended language was just a token concession. They can't blame sloppiness because we already have tangible examples of amendments that have been enacted into law already in other states that ban marriage but still carve out an unquestionable exception for various partnership benefits that are still in question in NC's proposed amendment. No one should be in favor of equivocation in this regard - just make it clear one way or the other. The last thing we need is to tie up the court system with statutory interpretation for years to come when other states' language has been clear and crystal.

Last edited by blueheronNC; 09-16-2011 at 08:51 PM..

Old 09-16-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
The text of the CURRENT bill as you linked it is as follows:

"marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State.""
This is turning into more of a thread for the NC forum. There's only one there so far which is surprising. I think we've drifted from the election results from Tuesday night.

I don't tend to see any juicy statewide debates on City-Data. Maybe we'll see one soon or closer to May.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:16 AM

104 posts, read 309,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
This is turning into more of a thread for the NC forum. There's only one there so far which is surprising. I think we've drifted from the election results from Tuesday night.

I don't tend to see any juicy statewide debates on City-Data. Maybe we'll see one soon or closer to May.

I agree that this is more of a state issue than a local one but the consequences will be felt the most in The big cities. In Charlotte we are constantly competing for our high power jobs with major cities. Passing this amendment will have a very negative effect on the perception of Charlotte. We already struggle of the "backward" South reputation. This will only enhance that.

The best way to defend marriage is to nice to your spouse.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwl1011 View Post
I agree that this is more of a state issue than a local one but the consequences will be felt the most in The big cities. In Charlotte we are constantly competing for our high power jobs with major cities. Passing this amendment will have a very negative effect on the perception of Charlotte. We already struggle of the "backward" South reputation. This will only enhance that.

The best way to defend marriage is to nice to your spouse.
I don't know what effect it would have. To see BMW in Spartanburg or Michelin HQ right next door. Amazon coming from a very liberal part of the country. I'm sure there are many more but South Carolina has the gay ban PLUS the battle flag! Businesses sometimes pick the right labor pool over social issues and I don't know the reasoning.

Oh and Boeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte