U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2011, 06:18 PM

30 posts, read 22,279 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend any bars or hangouts that are a little less "mainstream", and cater to a bit more of an alternative crowd in the Charlotte area (or South Charlotte/Matthews areas)?

I'm looking for places that are less along the lines of glitter and glowsticks urban yuppie (clubs like "Halo", many of the typical uptown nightlife bars), and cater to, or have a larger share of, folks that may enjoy alternative rock, rockabilly, pinup/burlesque, etc.

I feel as though there have to be some great places lurking nearby that would fit the bill, but wouldn't attract a crowd purely on the basis that there is a show or concert happening (e.g. Amos', NC Music Factory, etc).

Back in TX, there were some great hole-in-the-wall places for a 20's/30's crowd to go that fit the bill perfectly, but I'm struggling to find places and people out here with similar tastes!

Now that the lady of the house and I will have some free Saturday evenings, we'd love to be able to find something along these lines, rather than the usual "lets hit a trendy place in uptown." Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 07:02 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,985,980 times
You need to visit Plaza Midwood or NoDa and do some exploring. There are lots of places that fill the bill...

Old 09-17-2011, 08:51 PM

45,098 posts, read 56,964,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supe View Post
Can anyone recommend any bars or hangouts that are a little less "mainstream", and cater to a bit more of an alternative crowd in the Charlotte area (or South Charlotte/Matthews areas)?

I'm looking for places that are less along the lines of glitter and glowsticks urban yuppie (clubs like "Halo", many of the typical uptown nightlife bars), and cater to, or have a larger share of, folks that may enjoy alternative rock, rockabilly, pinup/burlesque, etc.

I feel as though there have to be some great places lurking nearby that would fit the bill, but wouldn't attract a crowd purely on the basis that there is a show or concert happening (e.g. Amos', NC Music Factory, etc).

Back in TX, there were some great hole-in-the-wall places for a 20's/30's crowd to go that fit the bill perfectly, but I'm struggling to find places and people out here with similar tastes!

Now that the lady of the house and I will have some free Saturday evenings, we'd love to be able to find something along these lines, rather than the usual "lets hit a trendy place in uptown." Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!
I would be happy to send you a dm

Old 09-17-2011, 09:24 PM

2,696 posts, read 4,217,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supe View Post

Definitely check out NoDa. Just park your car and bar hop, don't like one spot, go to the next. NoDa Home - Charlotte's Historic Arts District

Old 09-18-2011, 10:40 AM

325 posts, read 533,446 times
There's always the Thirsty Beaver in Plaza Midwood area. Then my bf and I wandered into this new bar in NC Music Factory. There was a skate board rink out back. Can't remember the name but its further in the back....

Old 09-18-2011, 10:51 AM

2,447 posts, read 4,773,047 times
Was also going to suggest Noda and Plaza Midwood. Also check out the Dharma Lounge near Amos.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:54 AM

91 posts, read 110,710 times
Noda

Old 09-20-2011, 11:33 AM

4,621 posts, read 5,175,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
You need to visit Plaza Midwood or NoDa and do some exploring. There are lots of places that fill the bill...
Yup. Snug Harbor is a personal favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte