U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 AM

3 posts, read 12,842 times

Advertisements

Please do not buy a house on the path or near high power transmission lines. You are galbling with your health, the value of your property and your quality of life. If you buy there, you probably will never be able to sell your house again. Even, Florida, that is trying to find every reason to permit these lines overhead, states on Florida Chapter 403 that there is evidence that these high power lines can cause serious health effects and even moderate disconfort to children playing under these lines. Effects, like tingling sensations and similar. These lines, are needed and shoudl be installed thru open fields. When they have to go thru urban high desity residential areas they should be burried. If you have any doubts, just remember what the used to say about smoking. Good luck, find a house some place else.

Last edited by Choice12; 03-10-2009 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 08:07 AM

Yes there are. There is evidence that high power transmssion lines can cause cancer, like leukemia in children and other types in adults. They also affect people with pace makers and thouse walking or playing under them, experiece tingling and other similar sensations. They also kille quality of life and property values. Don buy there.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:24 PM

246 posts, read 503,267 times
Oy vey, there is a lot of misinformation going on out there.

First, please pay no attention to CouponJack. If you took his advice, you'd end up living in a bubble.

Secondly, there have been studies conducted by a non-profit, public interest organization called the Electric Power Research Institute that have shown no increased incidents of leukemia in residential studies. They have also shown no increased incidents in experiments where lab mice were subjected to 10x what you'd see from a transmission power line.

You get exposure to EMF from everything electronic - hair dryers, clothes dryers, cell phones, vaccum cleaners, etc. That said, there are problems with high tension power lines interfering with wireless devices such as cell phones, routers, and cordless landline phones. That, IMO, is the biggest inconvenience and would be the only reason why I wouldn't live near one of these lines.

As to pricing, I think that's a counter-intuitive argument. You shouldn't offer the same for this house as you would a similar one without the power lines behind it. That's just good common sense. Anyone trying to tell you that you won't be able to sell it down the road is just throwing out scare tactics. Now, if you're looking to buy this home for investment purposes, I'd certainly look elsewhere, but if this is your "forever" home, then don't rule it out because you're worried about resale.

Finally, I will say this - I would understand not buying it because you are worried about your children's safety and wellbeing. Every parent feels that protective instinct. They key, in my opinion, is to try to make informed decisions based on the amount of risk you are comfortable with. That varies from person to person, but ultimately you have to do the research and make the decision.

Good luck with your house hunting. If you have any questions about Highland Creek just shoot me a DM and I'll do my best to answer.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:24 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,670,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGNCSU05 View Post
Oy vey, there is a lot of misinformation going on out there.

First, please pay no attention to CouponJack. If you took his advice, you'd end up living in a bubble.

Secondly, there have been studies conducted by a non-profit, public interest organization called the Electric Power Research Institute that have shown no increased incidents of leukemia in residential studies. They have also shown no increased incidents in experiments where lab mice were subjected to 10x what you'd see from a transmission power line.

You get exposure to EMF from everything electronic - hair dryers, clothes dryers, cell phones, vaccum cleaners, etc. That said, there are problems with high tension power lines interfering with wireless devices such as cell phones, routers, and cordless landline phones. That, IMO, is the biggest inconvenience and would be the only reason why I wouldn't live near one of these lines.

As to pricing, I think that's a counter-intuitive argument. You shouldn't offer the same for this house as you would a similar one without the power lines behind it. That's just good common sense. Anyone trying to tell you that you won't be able to sell it down the road is just throwing out scare tactics. Now, if you're looking to buy this home for investment purposes, I'd certainly look elsewhere, but if this is your "forever" home, then don't rule it out because you're worried about resale.

Finally, I will say this - I would understand not buying it because you are worried about your children's safety and wellbeing. Every parent feels that protective instinct. They key, in my opinion, is to try to make informed decisions based on the amount of risk you are comfortable with. That varies from person to person, but ultimately you have to do the research and make the decision.

Good luck with your house hunting. If you have any questions about Highland Creek just shoot me a DM and I'll do my best to answer.

Sorry, I am just shocked by the calm, rational response I just read. Simple & to the point?? No over the top emotions driving it, with a genuine offer of help to boot! Amazing..

Old 03-10-2009, 02:51 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,756,220 times
I know this is an old post, but I've been watching the sale of a house that has a substation in it's backyard - literally. It's been on the market for over a year this time. I first saw it when I moved here 8 years ago. It was on the market before I moved here and it sat on the market with 3 different realtor companies over the next 9 -12 months. Some sucker finally bought the place.

Fast forward to 2007. They try to sell it. It sat on the market for over a full year. They had at least 2 different realtor companies. Then they tried renting it themselves. It took well over 6 months for them to rent it. It took them close to 2 years to get this far. This is in a great location also.

I wonder how much of their issue is the substation. After seeing this happen twice, I believe it's the substation in the backyard. There's an access grass road next to their house as well. So for resale, I'd run away unless you planned on staying in a location like this for a long time and know you may have trouble selling. And who knows what we'll know about power lines/substations in the future.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:08 AM

To: DBGNCSUO5. I appreciate your comments, but while you sound sincere I do not beleive some of your comments are reliable. As I noted on my comments, even the state of Florida explains on Chapter 403 relevant rules and regulations that there is evidence that high power transmission lines can have significant effect on the health of those that live in the area. Just recently, a locat study in Massachusetts regarding existing transmission lines thru a neighborhood concluded that the risk of leukemia in children rose from a normal of 1 for every 12,000 cihildren to 1 for every 1200 for children living near transmission lines.

Finally as for property values, all you need to do is talk to a realtor or drive by areas where there are transmssion lines and talk to residents trying to sell their homes. Not only do values plummet, but there simply is very little chance to sell a home in areas like this. It can take years on the market and usually, you have to give it away.

This was finally agreed recently in Cape Coral, Florida, where a fight to install transmission lines heated up after 10 years of the electric company trying to put the lines thru several residential neighborhoods. The Council finally agreed to let the electric company run the lines, but only thru downtown were there are very few full time residents. The downtown CRA district now has agreed to foot the bill to put these lines underground. The lines are needed, but they should always go underground in urban areas.

And of course, who wants to look at these monstrosities from their back yard of living rooms. Did you know that playing or walking under these lines cause a tingling sensation all over your body, or that they make crackling sounds at night?

I would not buy or even rent in an area where these lines were installed.

Last edited by Choice12; 03-11-2009 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: mistake

Old 03-11-2009, 09:00 PM

285 posts, read 712,989 times
you can grow some amazing vegetables in the yard,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte