Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 07:17 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Who says. I personally think Ponder will have a greater upside. He is accurate as can be (at least was in college). He is deceptively quick.
Accurate as can be? Did you literally watch one game of his career or something? The guy threw 49 TD's to 30 INT's over his career at FSU. His senior year was his least awful season with a 20/8 ratio. You're really reaching here trying to find some rookie in this class to say is better than Cam to try and prove some point.

I was no Cam fan at all and thought the Panthers made a mistake drafting him #1 overall when they did it in April. I've been pleasantly surprised and proven wrong by his abilities as a QB (instead as a RB playing QB). Right now, I would prefer him over Andrew Luck just because he gives you a completely different dimension to go along with a not so shabby arm. Accuracy is a drop-off but with experience and reading NFL defenses that will improve. A slow/non-mobile QB isn't going to "learn" how to be quick or run with the ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 10:13 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Accurate as can be? Did you literally watch one game of his career or something? The guy threw 49 TD's to 30 INT's over his career at FSU. His senior year was his least awful season with a 20/8 ratio. You're really reaching here trying to find some rookie in this class to say is better than Cam to try and prove some point.

I was no Cam fan at all and thought the Panthers made a mistake drafting him #1 overall when they did it in April. I've been pleasantly surprised and proven wrong by his abilities as a QB (instead as a RB playing QB). Right now, I would prefer him over Andrew Luck just because he gives you a completely different dimension to go along with a not so shabby arm. Accuracy is a drop-off but with experience and reading NFL defenses that will improve. A slow/non-mobile QB isn't going to "learn" how to be quick or run with the ball.
Accuracy is one trait that usually don't improve much. You can improve some but it will always be an issue.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:30 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
The majority of Cam haters can't wrap their heads around his production this year. They expected Cam to be horrible and now that he has proven he belongs they are speaking with their backsides.

Notice how many Cam haters will say he hasn't won a SB yet, isn't "great" or is getting way too much love. They expected so little from him and now that he is getting recognition it comes off as "SB worthy" or "playoff bound" when in reality Cam fans are just pointing out he looks to have a ton of upside.

When the Panthers win it's because of the OL, bad weather or blown coverages. When The Panthers lose it's because Cam sucks. They can't even look at the Panthers with honest eyes... now the Panthers are good, expected to win and filled with talent.

Before the season started they were called a joke, predicted to suck eggs and Cam wouldn't finish the season. Cam fans aren't surprised they are still losing... Cam haters are giddy they are losing and act as though they should win every game.

Last year the passing offense averaged 125 yards in losses... this year, 315 yards..
Last year the Panther D gave up 250 yards in losses... this year, 440+ yards...

Yet, somehow Cam is the reason they are still losing and they can understand why he gets so much love.

How dense do you have to be or "pretend to be" to understand why he is getting all this attention?

Old 11-01-2011, 04:05 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
I am not reaching. I watched every game when Ponder played in school. Ponder played with a hurt throwing shoulder all his senior season; obviously that will affect his accuracy, which was still 61.1%. The season prior, i.e. Junior season, he threw 68.8%. Note we had zero run game while he was there.

Quote:
A slow/non-mobile QB isn't going to "learn" how to be quick or run with the ball.
Who are you referring here... Ponder runs a 4.63, Newton runs a 4.56.. that isn't much difference. If you are talking about Luck, he runs a 4.73... slower but not 'non-mobile'. Example...

Andrew Luck nukes Cal defender on 58 yd run. Stanford v. Cal, Big Game Nov 20 2010 - YouTube

Old 11-01-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
I am not reaching. I watched every game when Ponder played in school. Ponder played with a hurt throwing shoulder all his senior season; obviously that will affect his accuracy, which was still 61.1%. The season prior, i.e. Junior season, he threw 68.8%. Note we had zero run game while he was there.

Who are you referring here... Ponder runs a 4.63, Newton runs a 4.56.. that isn't much difference. If you are talking about Luck, he runs a 4.73... slower but not 'non-mobile'. Example...

Andrew Luck nukes Cal defender on 58 yd run. Stanford v. Cal, Big Game Nov 20 2010 - YouTube
Showing one video clip of Andrew Luck running the ball doesn't make him a mobile QB anymore than showing a clip of a RB doing a halfback toss makes him a QB. Andrew Luck is a GREAT pocket-passing QB, but his legs aren't going to make other defensive coordinators take that into consideration as they game plan against him. Not so with Newton, everyone knew he could beat you with his running but now he's shown he can beat you with his arm too. Give him time to learn NFL defenses and get more comfortable and he can be very special for years to come.

The difference between Ponders 4.63 and Newton's 4.56 is about 3 inches and 20 or so pounds of muscle. Being faster AND bigger is a tremendous combination. No DB is afraid to hit Ponder but I can guarantee none are dying to take a shot at Newton rumbling down the field with a full head of steam.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:32 AM

I agree Wolf... everyone tries to reference Vick and injuries when they talking about Cam but the guy is huge compared to Vick and he is still better at avoiding contact.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Showing one video clip of Andrew Luck running the ball doesn't make him a mobile QB anymore than showing a clip of a RB doing a halfback toss makes him a QB. Andrew Luck is a GREAT pocket-passing QB, but his legs aren't going to make other defensive coordinators take that into consideration as they game plan against him. Not so with Newton, everyone knew he could beat you with his running but now he's shown he can beat you with his arm too. Give him time to learn NFL defenses and get more comfortable and he can be very special for years to come.

The difference between Ponders 4.63 and Newton's 4.56 is about 3 inches and 20 or so pounds of muscle. Being faster AND bigger is a tremendous combination. No DB is afraid to hit Ponder but I can guarantee none are dying to take a shot at Newton rumbling down the field with a full head of steam.
You might want to go look at Luck's stats. He had 458 yards rushing last year, and keep in mind sacks count against that total in college. Is he Cam newton fast? No, but he is big and quick and just like u said about newton nobody is going to want to hit him when he has a full head of steam. Luck is a beast and he should do well when he comes out. He is a smart guy and has another year left as well you better believe if there is another crap team like the panthers he will go back to Stanford. Going forward this will be Cam's biggest hurdle to overcome. Marty Hurney.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I agree Wolf... everyone tries to reference Vick and injuries when they talking about Cam but the guy is huge compared to Vick and he is still better at avoiding contact.
I don't care how big you are. You can't take a bunch of shots when your a qb. I cringed both times he has dived from the 5 yard line trying to get a touchdown. Low percentage play, with a high chance of risk. He's the same size as big Ben, and Ben has been knocked around got concussions and broken bones. I wish they would quit calling qb runs with him its only a matter of time till someone pops him.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
I don't care how big you are. You can't take a bunch of shots when your a qb. I cringed both times he has dived from the 5 yard line trying to get a touchdown. Low percentage play, with a high chance of risk. He's the same size as big Ben, and Ben has been knocked around got concussions and broken bones. I wish they would quit calling qb runs with him its only a matter of time till someone pops him.
I wouldn't advise ANYONE to dive from the 5 yard line let alone a QB.

Ben has been knocked around and takes way too many unnecessary hits but he also makes a ton of awesome plays while doing it.

While I would advise QB's to take less shots if they are the size of Cam or Ben I feel a little better about their chances of surviving.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
You might want to go look at Luck's stats. He had 458 yards rushing last year, and keep in mind sacks count against that total in college. Is he Cam newton fast? No, but he is big and quick and just like u said about newton nobody is going to want to hit him when he has a full head of steam. Luck is a beast and he should do well when he comes out. He is a smart guy and has another year left as well you better believe if there is another crap team like the panthers he will go back to Stanford. Going forward this will be Cam's biggest hurdle to overcome. Marty Hurney.
I agree, Hurney is a huge hurdle for Cam and the Panthers. I'm sure Luck is hoping the Dolphins continue to suck as that might be enticing enough for him to come out. Nothing wrong with spending the winters in South Beach. haha

I have Vick on a couple of fantasy teams and I cringe every time he takes off as it doesn't appear he knows when to give up or how to not take a hit. Cam is similar at times but is much larger. Your comparison to Big Ben is pretty comparable to a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte