Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:04 AM

3,860 posts, read 4,239,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
I get tired of the African-American phrase, and hyphenated names in general. Why not just American?

It is possible to be white and be African-American, which throws a monkey wrench into that phrase.
No, any appearance/shade/color of being black means you're black. You can write whatever makes you feel good on a birth certificate or piece of paper, but in society's eyes, you are black, period...think Tiger Woods....what did he try to call himself? Anglo/Asian/Cherokee or something. Sorry Tiger, you are black, deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 08:28 AM

15,363 posts, read 12,558,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big aristotle View Post
no, any appearance/shade/color of being black means you're black. You can write whatever makes you feel good on a birth certificate or piece of paper, but in society's eyes, you are black, period...think tiger woods....what did he try to call himself? Anglo/asian/cherokee or something. Sorry tiger, you are black, deal with it.
+1

Old 10-03-2011, 10:15 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,457,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
It's definitely an opportunity to benefit from the epicenter incident. Everyone told Agnew to go elsewhere if he didn't like the way the epicenter treated him and he took it a step further.

What's with this "If a white person said it/did it this would be racist" line? I've heard this a ton lately like there is some kind of envy or jealousy. Do you really want to dosomethig that you know would be viewed as racist? Just curious why it's constantly being tossed around like it deserves sympathy or justice.
Let me explain where this is coming from. It's not envy, it's a double standard of what is allowed. You say that you have a familiarity with Philadelphia, so I'll just say Greek picnic. If you need an explanation I'll give it, if not I'll just leave it at that.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:28 AM

700 posts, read 1,640,447 times
Default Well he is up to something.

What does he plan to gain? Nothing. A lot of black businesses caters to blacks. Not saying that there is a color line. Just a niche line. Example: Most hair stylist have a certain type of client. Most barbers cuts men's hair. Women cuts women. All thought you have some who do a mix. It is mostly defined by gender and race. Not that Blacks can not cut Whites hair. It is the relationship of the client and the trust that comes with it. I think he would be better off working to promote black business services though other means other than a card that singles them out.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,362,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
I must agree with Morgan Freeman. I remember back in the old days when blacks demanded that they just be called Americans. That is when I lost the word, "black" and "colored" and generally considered anyone in the mainstream as Americans. Now for some strange reason, that model of thought has gone with the wind and the oposite has skyrocketed to where everything black must have a black attachment to it. I think that it is neccessary to drop the color lable that preceeds rcially favored organizations, activities, etc. to where we are all on the same level. That is mostly how it is in other European countries and we are much better off here in the U.S.

I thought it was sad when America showed such cohesiveness after 9/11 and people were saying, "We are one". I knew that that would only last a matter of weeks.
So you can't use black as discription? If I'm speaking of one of my neighbors, you can't clarify that it is the black couple? I once needed to hand something to someone in a large group, and while looking at this group, someone gave me a discription of everything from shirt color to sock color, for no kidding.... about 3 minutes. As I'm in this group, trying to rule about 30 people out, I asked someone else, and they pointed her out. Of course, she was the ONLY black girl in the group. It just seems more senseless to ignore the color than to embrace it. It certainly wasn't sexist when they described her as female.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
I get tired of the African-American phrase, and hyphenated names in general. Why not just American?

It is possible to be white and be African-American, which throws a monkey wrench into that phrase.
I don't use African-American unless I know they are African-American. Isn't that assuming too much? What if they are from Jamaica, or Cuba, or European? It seems kind of pompous to assume that all blacks are Americans from the origin of Africa.

But I see nothing wrong with a black card. If the black community wants to support their own, why not? I think they should do it without a need for 10% off. Jewish people do it all the time, although they have never found the need for a "jewish card". I try to patronize places that advertise in my church's bulletin. I'm not biased to other religions, but I do like to support fellow parish members.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Let me explain where this is coming from. It's not envy, it's a double standard of what is allowed. You say that you have a familiarity with Philadelphia, so I'll just say Greek picnic. If you need an explanation I'll give it, if not I'll just leave it at that.
please give the explanation.

Not sure what the Greek Picnic has to do with perceived double standards.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
So you can't use black as discription? If I'm speaking of one of my neighbors, you can't clarify that it is the black couple? I once needed to hand something to someone in a large group, and while looking at this group, someone gave me a discription of everything from shirt color to sock color, for no kidding.... about 3 minutes. As I'm in this group, trying to rule about 30 people out, I asked someone else, and they pointed her out. Of course, she was the ONLY black girl in the group. It just seems more senseless to ignore the color than to embrace it. It certainly wasn't sexist when they described her as female.

I don't use African-American unless I know they are African-American. Isn't that assuming too much? What if they are from Jamaica, or Cuba, or European? It seems kind of pompous to assume that all blacks are Americans from the origin of Africa.

But I see nothing wrong with a black card. If the black community wants to support their own, why not? I think they should do it without a need for 10% off. Jewish people do it all the time, although they have never found the need for a "jewish card". I try to patronize places that advertise in my church's bulletin. I'm not biased to other religions, but I do like to support fellow parish members.
black african-american, afro-american, negro, etc... all labels given by black people get over the "colored" label given in the 50's and 60's.

blacks have a huge spending power but not all of them shop at black businesses or know where these businesses are to support them.

Nothing wrong with the 10% off.... all businesses do this to get customers through the door.

I do think it's funny they went through 5 minutes of descriptions to avoid saying black.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:54 AM

3,860 posts, read 4,239,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
What does he plan to gain? Nothing. A lot of black businesses caters to blacks. Not saying that there is a color line. Just a niche line. Example: Most hair stylist have a certain type of client. Most barbers cuts men's hair. Women cuts women. All thought you have some who do a mix. It is mostly defined by gender and race. Not that Blacks can not cut Whites hair. It is the relationship of the client and the trust that comes with it. I think he would be better off working to promote black business services though other means other than a card that singles them out.
No need for the hand-my-man but as I stated earlier, the market place is color-blind and ultimately will destroy a bad business idea or venture. You're missing the point from a B2B perspective. For instance, I launched a small tech LLC last year and needed business cards. I didn't care who made the cards, just needed the things quickly for a networking conference. Got referred to a minority-owned business that did the work (had no idea this company existed). Prices were reasonable so I went with them. Avenues that provide additional exposure to small businesses or minority-owned businesses is a good thing in my opinion. Anyone that feels threatened shouldn't be in business; very limited number of minority-owned businesses especially in the B2B world.

Like someone stated earlier, this is common practice in many other ethnic communities. What's the big deal?

BTW, it's dog-e-dog out here more than ever..

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 10-03-2011 at 12:03 PM..

Old 10-03-2011, 12:04 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,457,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
please give the explanation.

Not sure what the Greek Picnic has to do with perceived double standards.
The Greek Picnic is for black members of fraternities & sororities. The police close off Fairmont Park. I worked at a tv station 1 1/2 blocks from Fairmont Park which meant driving about 6 miles out of the way to circle back.

One year the police decided to extend the blockade to 2 blocks from the park. In the mean time one of the technicians, had taken a couple of days of personal time to deal with family matters. He was black & middle aged & drove through the park as usual & wondered what was going on. Those of us who were white were being blocked from getting to the station. One person had a cell phone & called & an employee had to come out & vouch for us. When we finally got in, our black co-worker was livid that this had happened to us & called the local precinct & lodged a complaint saying that the police had allowed hime to drive right through the park & had extended the blockade & were not allowing his white co-workers in. Then he went to station management on Monday & complained. Management's solution was to issue us ID cards.

The next year the blockade was extended again. We were allowed to pass through by showing the IDs. When we got in, our black co-worker asked if we had to show our IDs & we said yes. He was livid & called the precinct & told them that they had again extended the blockade & had checked IDs for all of his white & Asian co-workers, but not him. He told them that this was blatant discrimination. He also told them that he thought that the Greek picnic was discriminatory & hung up. It was the only time that I ever saw him with ruffled feathers about anything. After hanging up, he said that he was going to talk to people at his church about this.

The next year the blockade was moved back to the park. the neighbors & neighborhood merchants of all colors had not been happy to see these revelers on the street. They were heckling whites & Asians & several were arrested for shoplifting during the 2 years that the blockade was extended.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:36 PM

181 posts, read 351,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
No, any appearance/shade/color of being black means you're black. You can write whatever makes you feel good on a birth certificate or piece of paper, but in society's eyes, you are black, period...think Tiger Woods....what did he try to call himself? Anglo/Asian/Cherokee or something. Sorry Tiger, you are black, deal with it.
I think you are making my point. I don't like when black people insist on AA over black. It's not a disrespect the their heritage. I don't insist on Scotch/Irish/American or get offended by being called white. How am I supposed to know where your ancestors are from. Like I said, monkey wrench: You could be white,born in Johannesburg and now live in America. What are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte