U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:03 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,579,513 times

Advertisements

When consumers are "ok" with the "human factor" being removed from something as important as a money transaction, that is a sad and scary testament to society.

When it comes to our money, we demand the ability to go face to face with someone if we want to or the need arises. To not demand that as consumers is accepting mediocrity at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 09:14 AM

642 posts, read 986,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Which UK banks charge for processing a cheque?
Don;t know exactly. We had a vet come out to see our cat. I offered the vet cash or check. He said that he would take cash, even though I did not have the ful amount, because his bank charged him one pound for processing his checks.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:09 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,103,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
When consumers are "ok" with the "human factor" being removed from something as important as a money transaction, that is a sad and scary testament to society.

When it comes to our money, we demand the ability to go face to face with someone if we want to or the need arises. To not demand that as consumers is accepting mediocrity at best.
The difference is that I trust machinery and technology 100% more than I do a human. Too many times, I have had issues with "human error"...and, let's face it, the "cost cutting" measures by most banks also relate to their employees. Some of the lowest paid people in the entire bank are tellers and branch employees. No offense to anyone who is in that role, but, I personally do not want someone who is paid just a little more than minimum wage handing my transactions. At least if it is done with machinery, there is a definite paper trail that will document any errors....

That is why my primary bank is a credit union in CA that I have never even seen, let alone been to. My visits to a bank branch come once every 4-5 years and then, they are most grudging....

Old 10-09-2011, 07:17 AM

[quote=chicagocubs;21211303]The difference is that I trust machinery and technology 100% more than I do a human. Too many times, I have had issues with "human error"...and, let's face it, the "cost cutting" measures by most banks also relate to their employees. Some of the lowest paid people in the entire bank are tellers and branch employees. No offense to anyone who is in that role, but, I personally do not want someone who is paid just a little more than minimum wage handing my transactions. At least if it is done with machinery, there is a definite paper trail that will document any errors....

That is why my primary bank is a credit union in CA that I have never even seen, let alone been to. My visits to a bank branch come once every 4-5 years and then, they are most grudging....[/]

There is always someone "accountable" over those tellers or personal bankers. I prefer to have someone that I can go to face to face to address issues and concerns, instead of having to email, be placed on hold eternally and play phone tag.

While you may not want someone who is merely a teller handling a transaction, would you really want someone over the phone who may not even have their behind planted in this country with access to your money.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 AM

[quote=Chromekitty;21211343]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
The difference is that I trust machinery and technology 100% more than I do a human. Too many times, I have had issues with "human error"...and, let's face it, the "cost cutting" measures by most banks also relate to their employees. Some of the lowest paid people in the entire bank are tellers and branch employees. No offense to anyone who is in that role, but, I personally do not want someone who is paid just a little more than minimum wage handing my transactions. At least if it is done with machinery, there is a definite paper trail that will document any errors....

That is why my primary bank is a credit union in CA that I have never even seen, let alone been to. My visits to a bank branch come once every 4-5 years and then, they are most grudging....[/]

There is always someone "accountable" over those tellers or personal bankers. I prefer to have someone that I can go to face to face to address issues and concerns, instead of having to email, be placed on hold eternally and play phone tag.

While you may not want someone who is merely a teller handling a transaction, would you really want someone over the phone who may not even have their behind planted in this country with access to your money.
Once again, I never depend upon a human. I don't think that I have EVER called a customer service person at the bank...unless it was an internal thing. (I work for a bank). I ALWAYS use e-mail. Email has a paper trail. You cannot deny something that you have been told if it is in writing. Also, having the issue in writing is one of the best ways to get your side maintained in a court of law if necessary. People that talk to you can get amnesia and never remember even talking to you. The phone records can be easily lost. But, if you have the interaction in writing on your computer database, it is fairly impossible to loose. (unless, of course YOU have lost it, in which case, that is your fault anyway.)

Old 10-09-2011, 08:13 AM

These quotes are acting a little crazy...

I understand what you are saying and your point. When I have to "discuss" something with someone about anything, I always have them write out the solution and what they have offered for me, and tuck it away.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:42 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,051,868 times
Machines are only as good as the person who controls them.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:04 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,273,424 times
Soooo....back to the topic....

Does anyone have recommendations for a credit union? If so, what do you like about yours?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:15 PM

My credit union is Honda Federal Credit Union. LOVE it. They are very responsive, answering emails in less than 24 hours, work with you on issues, the bill pay feature is fantastic. They are also a part of the Credit Union co-op, so, you can use the ATM anywhere there is a co-op Credit Union at no cost...even overseas!!

Best of all...NO FEES for anything!! Would not trade them for anything.

By contrast, tried to open a small acct at Truliant Credit Union to have something local. They are impossible to work with, very regimented, have extremely poor customer service and their online access is very poor. They required you to go into the branch for even simple transactions...like opening a new account. (see previous posts. I don't go into banks unless forced) It was insane. I closed that account within a year.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Soooo....back to the topic....

Does anyone have recommendations for a credit union? If so, what do you like about yours?

We use Truliant. They are courteous, efficient and have answered all of our questions with no issues. So happy we made the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte