Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,246 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are trying to move to the Charlotte area around November. He is currently serving in the Marine Corps and his home town is Charlotte. We are looking to rent a house that is around $800/month with 3 bedrooms. We would prefer a fenced in lawn but it won't be a deal breaker if you don't. We have two American Pit Bull Terriers who are both very well behaved and house broken and both are up to date on all their vaccines. I understand that most places have breed restrictions and they are the number one breed on the list but my dogs are very sweet and I am desperate for someone to reach out and help me as I have reached out to help a breed that has a bad reputation. I will prove to you that my dogs are not dangerous!!!! Please do not leave any nasty comments about this breed!!!! I am desperate need of some help here!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 09:55 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,198 times
I've had lot's of dogs since my childhood(I'm 40 something now), from Labs(2), Golden Retrievers(3), Boxers(2) and Pit Bulls(3). All were rescues from various shelters. Some were pups. Some were adult dogs. I can only tell you from my experience, that the Pit Bulls I've had, never attacked, maimed or killed anyone or anything. All my dogs were socialized with adults, kids and other dogs.

When I got my 2nd Pit Bull, a friend of mine told me, "it's a matter of time, he's a ticking time bomb". Well, the ticking time bomb never went off in the ten years I owned him. He passed away, peacefully at home, he was eleven years old.

Currently, I have a Golden Retriever and a Pit Bull/Lab mix, that I picked up from a shelter about seven months ago.

I believe you should be looking for homes outside of HOA governed communities. I think your best bet is to enlist the help of a realtor.

Good Luck!

Old 10-04-2011, 05:38 AM

104 posts, read 304,196 times
At that price point you may need to look outside of the city of Charlotte altogether. I know in Gastonia even 800 won't get you much of a rental home unless you enjoy an old home with space heaters. Either way good luck!

Old 10-05-2011, 01:36 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,368,284 times
OP, you might want to broaden your search to areas a little more "rural" or at minimum something private with no HOA's. I have a Staffordshire Terrier and an american bulldog/pit mix and I couldnt say enough good things about their breeds. I adore pit bulls. Dont give up. You can also do a good citizen dog thing, google it, because I cant rmemeber what its called "k9 good citizen" something rather. Its a certifcate and maybe some places would wave the "dangerous breed" crap.

Good luck, though. I know its tough.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:57 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,266 times
I'll second (third) the recommendation for a real estate agent. As a property manager, we do not allow Pit Bulls at all. Some insurance companies frown upon the whole dangerous breed thing. I nearly had my insurance canceled because of a loose dog that found its way onto my property at the same time the insurance inspector was out there.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:56 PM

378 posts, read 704,637 times
I'll think good thoughts for you. My roommate found a house in Kannapolis that took him and his pit bull. He found it through an online property management site. T've known of plenty of people that have rented houses that have pit bulls, but I dont' know if they don't disclose the information, or if the landlords are just fine with it. If it wasn't for the fact that I plan no moving away in June 2012 I'd rescue a pit bull for my house. I love them

Good luck!

Old 10-05-2011, 05:16 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,018,321 times
I thought that might work. I have Boxers, but I understand from the stand point of many landlords won't allow dogs over 25lb.

We've had luck on Craigslist with private owners. Not only do I explain what kind of dogs I have, but I also offer references for my dogs. These are former landlords, vets and friends that have spent time with my dogs. All willing to vouch for the manners, training and character of my animals, plus the fact that I do, in fact, take care of my rental home and don't let the dogs trash it. I also am willing to furnish copy of my rental insurance showing I have a liability rider for my dogs.

Agreeing with other posters, though. You will most likely need to either up your rental funds or start looking in more rural areas to hit that price and be in a decent neighborhood. You can find a few "diamonds" on the north side (Mtn Island Lake area) for around $1000.

Many "cheaper" and "older" rentals will NOT have central air conditioning. If this is an issue, be sure to inquire if the house has it if not listed on the ad.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:16 AM

467 posts, read 1,496,230 times
What part of the city do you want/need to be in? PM me.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-09-2011 at 03:56 AM..

Old 10-09-2011, 02:19 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
I'll add one other thought to the above suggestions: always mention that your husband is in the service. Many people will react positively to that and may be more helpful.

And thank him for his service and thank you for your support of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte