Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:39 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,368,601 times

Advertisements

Some restraunts add the tip to the charge.

I'll tip what I feel the waiteress deserves, which could be $0.00.
What I tip is meant for the person that waited on me and not distibution.
So I'll stick it down her bra as a private tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 02:39 PM

5,238 posts, read 7,958,668 times
I've always had a problem with the system restaurants use. They charge a lot for food, they have a good following, always busy and yet can't pay their people decently? They expect the patron, that is often times paying to much for a very mediocre meal to subsidize the restaurants by tipping well. The greedy chain restaurateur pleads poverty when asked why he can't pay more. People realize the system and I think for the most part tip fairly.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:02 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,960,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
It's great to get a discount on a good meal at restaurants where one would not normally go. The coupons are a marketing ploy to get repeat business, although I have my doubts there is much repeat business.

The issue: when coupons are used, many people do not understand that when tipping the wait staff for good service, the standard tip is 15% on the TOTAL bill -not the bill minus the percentage or price for the coupon. Waiters hate the coupons because many people don't read the conditions for using it, then get their knickers in a wad at the wait staff. Too many people - most from what I get from talking to waiters at various restaurants in a one-man unscientific informal survey - don't read the coupons and don't leave a proper tip.

After getting a considerable discount on a meal, too many people are either dumber than a rock OR they are cheap tightwads and stiff the waiter by tipping only on the total amount after the discount instead of tipping on the initial total. Then, there will be the customer walking out who will swipe a tip off a table as they are going out the door. It happens. A customer walking out of a south Charlotte restaurant recently swiped a tip off an adjoining table as he was leaving. The manager saw him steal the money and invited him to never cross their threshold again.

Tips are the way wait staff make their living or pay for school or take care of their kids. Consider that your employer pays you $2.30 an hour and you depend on tips. However, at the end of the day, your tips from credit cards are added up and that amount is deducted from your $2.30 the restaurant pays you. When we learned this is standard practice in Charlotte (other places, I suspect) we started paying the server/wait staff in cash and always try to hand the tip to the server. Also, keep in mind that out of the tips on the credit cards, a percentage goes to the hostess, busboy, chef/cook.

If you get good service at a restaurant, the accepted standard tip is 15% for the TOTAL bill. When we get exceptional service, we give a 20% tip - in cash. If we get less than adequate service, we ask if there is a problem in the kitchen that delayed the food or if the food is cold. A good waiter will let you know what is going on OR ask for the manager and ask the kitchen question. Rarely have we had a case where service problems were the fault of the wait staff or server.

Bottom Line: Be fair with wait staff/servers. Pay the tip in cash if you can. Talk to the manager, not the waiter, if there is a problem. It works every time AND if the manger discounts you meal or gives you a freebee, you STILL owe the waiter a tip on what would have been the total for the bill.
Pet peeve - Waitstaff with entitlement mentalities.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:05 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,960,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
Tips are that tips. You tip for your server. Not the food or price of the food. If I get a server that is good. I tip them. If the food is bad is it their fault or the cooks? If the server is bad and the food great is the tip the same? NO!!! I will leave what I feel is right. If it be in cash or on a card. It is their to earn it. Not expect it.
Exactly! If the waitstaff expects to be paid tips then they need to DO THEIR JOBS of providing service that is tip worthy.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:58 AM

3,364 posts, read 9,987,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Exactly! If the waitstaff expects to be paid tips then they need to DO THEIR JOBS of providing service that is tip worthy.
Could not agree more, other than once leaving a penny on a credit card bill.

I always tip 15% or higher, lately though I have found the service in general has been pretty bloody awful and I do not want to leave a tip.

I agree that the food is not the fault of the wait staff, however how they deal with crap food and any complaint speaks volumes.

I was trained years ago in silver service and helped train wait staff, about have the wait staff I see today would not have lasted the first shift.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:24 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,126,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I've always had a problem with the system restaurants use. They charge a lot for food, they have a good following, always busy and yet can't pay their people decently? They expect the patron, that is often times paying to much for a very mediocre meal to subsidize the restaurants by tipping well. The greedy chain restaurateur pleads poverty when asked why he can't pay more. People realize the system and I think for the most part tip fairly.
Prices are based on not having to pay the waitstaff a full wage. If the law was changed to require restaurant owners to pay their waitstaff as they do their other staff, meal prices would simply be raised to compensate. It's not about being greedy, or charging a lot for food, it's how the system is set up. WE are allowed to compensate the servers for their job performance, and most of us do so accordingly.

If my food or drinks aren't prepared right, that's not the server's fault, and their tip won't be affected. If I have to ask 5 times for more icewater, that will have a negative effect on the tip, as will failure of the server to perform any of their usual functions well. My attitude is that the server works for me (since I'm paying them) while I'm in the restaurant, as a liaison between me and the restaurant. Their function is to make sure I get what I ask for, promptly and correctly. Crappy service = crappy tip.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:37 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,979,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Also, keep in mind that out of the tips on the credit cards, a percentage goes to the hostess, busboy, chef/cook.
I was a chef for 7 years, and never once received a tip. Nor did I expect one.

I've had waiters rush my courses at above average restaurants (bring the entree before the salad was gone, bring the bill before the entree was eaten) and didn't tip them anything. So the waiter can screw up, get off the waiter high horse. Or get a better job. I'm tired of waiters always upping the tip % - now 20% is standard? LOL

I tip very well when the service is there, and can afford to tip when I eat out, TYVM.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 AM

15,361 posts, read 12,565,506 times
I tip on card or cash depending what is on hand... even if the service is bad I tip 10%... if it's horrible I will tip 10% and complain to the manager.

I had a great convo with my roommate in college when it came to tipping.. I was of the "I tip only when the service is good" but that isn't appropriate.

Don't go out a place that has a wait staff if you don't want to tip... when you go out to restaurants with service staff you know tipping is part of the bill...

people want to be waited on and bark all types of commands and then leave a dollar on a 25.00 meal. It's not right...

I seriously doubt any of us work all of our 40 hours while on the job but we still get paid for 40 hours. Even if the service is less than stellar you have to take the human element into the equation. Bad day, bad tippers etc. As long as the service is decent you should leave 10% at the minimum.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,322,066 times
There is a good point in that OP, somewhere. It could have been 2 sentences. I always tip based on what the check would have been, with no discounts. For example, we love going to Brixx after 10pm for half priced pizza and I always get whatever beer is on special, so 2 pizzas, 2 beers and the check for 2 is around $15. I have to figure the "woulda been" amount, ok, $28 so I write in a $5 tip... still a cheap night! I used to write in "CASH" and leave a tip in cash, but I don't bother to do that anymore, I just write in the tip amount on the credit card receipt. It would be nice to help the waiter avoid income taxes, but at this point I just go for my personal convenience.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:43 AM

15,361 posts, read 12,565,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I was a chef for 7 years, and never once received a tip. Nor did I expect one.

I've had waiters rush my courses at above average restaurants (bring the entree before the salad was gone, bring the bill before the entree was eaten) and didn't tip them anything. So the waiter can screw up, get off the waiter high horse. Or get a better job. I'm tired of waiters always upping the tip % - now 20% is standard? LOL

I tip very well when the service is there, and can afford to tip when I eat out, TYVM.
chefs screw up too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: