U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2011, 03:26 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,059,012 times
Reputation: 22371

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
What company doesn't pay for mileage, or at least gas?

Dominos did, when I drove for them 20+ years ago. Though I haven't had a delivery job since, every company I worked for reimbursed mileage at the going IRS rate.
Thank you for clarifying that for me. I would certainly hope employers are doing that. Otherwise, it would be highway robbery, indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2011, 04:28 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,298,664 times
Reputation: 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Thank you for clarifying that for me. I would certainly hope employers are doing that. Otherwise, it would be highway robbery, indeed.
I should clarify. The company I worked for the longest put the outside salespeople on Fuelman cards, the same instrument CMPD uses to put gas in their cruisers, and then paid for all of our gas. It was an informal arrangement, and we got the write off. Some of the guys made an issue of it, but I figured if the company sent me to Vegas or some other city yearly for a tradeshow, I'd let them off the hook for a few bucks in gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 06:31 PM
 
9,910 posts, read 9,285,452 times
Reputation: 8047
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post

Consider that your employer pays you $2.30 an hour and you depend on tips. However, at the end of the day, your tips from credit cards are added up and that amount is deducted from your $2.30 the restaurant pays you.
I didn't know that. I thought the $2.30 an hour was theirs and paid in addition to the tips. You mean to tell me the tips are deducted from their hourly pay rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 08:50 PM
 
179 posts, read 344,850 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I should clarify. The company I worked for the longest put the outside salespeople on Fuelman cards, the same instrument CMPD uses to put gas in their cruisers, and then paid for all of our gas. It was an informal arrangement, and we got the write off. Some of the guys made an issue of it, but I figured if the company sent me to Vegas or some other city yearly for a tradeshow, I'd let them off the hook for a few bucks in gas.
Delivery drivers use the Delivery Charge to pay for the gas. They don't get a FUEL card, they pay for the gas out of pocket and they get reimbursed by the restaurant, from the Delivery charges imposed on the meals. So my point is, people shouldn't stiff drivers because they see a Delivery Fee on the receipt, it's not a tip, or part of a tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,352 posts, read 4,028,573 times
Reputation: 3035
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I didn't know that. I thought the $2.30 an hour was theirs and paid in addition to the tips. You mean to tell me the tips are deducted from their hourly pay rate?
When I waited tables, the tips didn't get deducted. Credit card tips also weren't reported as income (therefore taxed), but that was before everything was computerized, so that might be different now. The more tips that get claimed, the higher the amount of tax deducted, so an already-small check can be reduced to almost nothing. They're probably not deducting the tips from the pay, but the taxes on the tips.

I remember one young lady who made the mistake of reporting all of her tips (we had to fill out a form nightly). Normally, we reported a percentage of sales - maybe 8%? I don't remember - no matter what our actual tips were. This poor girl kept getting paychecks for $0 until the manager caught it and explained it to her!

Now I'm curious about how restaurants are having the servers report tips now! If it's still a percentage of sales, that would only be a problem if the total CC tips totaled over that percentage. I think I'll ask the next time I go out.

The only way a restaurant is legally able to pay less than standard minimum wage is the expectation that tips will make up the remainder of the income. Tips aren't deducted from the hourly wage, no matter the method of settling the check. If that's happening to the OP, he needs to contact the labor board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Shakedown Street
1,452 posts, read 2,570,565 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
chefs screw up too...
Of course they do, what's your point? If I cooked a steak medium instead of medium rare it was sent back and I fixed it. But my pay stayed the same regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Shakedown Street
1,452 posts, read 2,570,565 times
Reputation: 1185
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Consider that your employer pays you $2.30 an hour and you depend on tips. However, at the end of the day, your tips from credit cards are added up and that amount is deducted from your $2.30 the restaurant pays you.

I think this statement is 100% false. Anyone beg to differ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 07:57 AM
 
8,402 posts, read 20,298,664 times
Reputation: 6774
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I think this statement is 100% false. Anyone beg to differ?
I think there is a lot of misinformation and misinterpretation in this thread.

Some would paint the picture that wait staff are all poor people bringing home nothing, when in fact that's one of the few jobs where one has some immediate control over their income on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 08:23 AM
 
32 posts, read 91,238 times
Reputation: 22
I'm actually a pretty good tipper, 15-20% of the total (ie no adjustmen for tax) but , this thread got me to thinking. What about me ordering a 5$ hamburger vs a $50 steak accounts for the additional tip based on percentages ie they don't work any harder, or do they? Obviously more work goes into servicing 4 people over 1 person, but tipping on the amount spent never really made sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 AM
 
1 posts, read 697 times
Reputation: 13
O.K. so here's the deal for full service retaurants. First I would like to say that those of you that believe that tipping is not expected BEFORE you read this you may be uninformed. If you believe tipping is not expected or owed AFTER reading this you may be slightly obstinate or ignorant and should stay home. When one enters an eating establishment they go in with expectations. The wait staff are SOME of the ppl that provide PART of those expectations to you and they expect a tip (replace "expect" with "owed" or whatever you want) and unlike the rest of the staff -bus boys/girls, cooks/chefs, host/hostess and managers they are not paid minimum wage. They do in fact receive a salary of about $2.30 an hour BECAUSE tipping is what makes up their salary. Everyone else makes their money regardless of how they perform. The average tip is that is considered standard in most places is 15% or more depending on the location such as the New York standard of 20%. To TIP someone is To Insure Promptitude - which means they perform without delay. This does not mean that
A - The wait staff can just give you crappy service and expect a 15%-20% gratuity. BTW 98% of servers are not of this mindset anyway.
B - That they should expect NO TIp at all if your fries are cold or you had to ask twice for ice water or if they didn't occupy your "darling" child with enough crackers/crayons to stop them from whining and tearing things up and throwing them on the floor.
C - You should expect them to cater to your every whim without fail because you have unreasonable expectations or they get NO TIP at all, you can still tip them low.
Servers also have to tip out. Whether you leave it on the table or on the CC they are responsible per the amount of food they sell. At the end of the day a tally is run for each server. They have to claim a % of the amount of food they sold to be applied to taxes, give a % to usually bartenders and bus staff sometimes host/hostesses. They are required to claim a % of the amount of food they sell because YOU ARE EXPECTED TO TIP on a % on the amount of your bill. BTW I am not in the food service industry but do enjoy a meal out and good service just like anyone else. I just hate when people think "I don't have to tip they are just doing their job" Just as an aside would it really kill any of you to throw a $1 in the jar when you order $50 of food to go for the 16 year old kid who takes the order, gets it together, packs it up and takes your check....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:17 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top