U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:28 AM

12 posts, read 18,382 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are planning a move to Charlotte. We have elementary school age kids so schools is the top criteria. My wife pretty much set on JM Robinson for future middle school based on school rating available on internet. We are looking for a 4BR, 3+ BA, bonus room and 0.25+ acre lot w/ private backyard. Price range is $300-400K. We would like a guest BR/BA on 1st floor and master BR along with kids BRs on the same level. We were adamant about amenities like pool but some of the older communities don't have any. Our realtor said it is somewhat new phenomenon to have community amenities. Anyway, we have been looking for last 2-3 months but haven't found that we could like. We hate cookie cutter houses that most new constructions are. I read so much about providence plantation but its designated middle school that is crestdale is ranked low w/ a lot of parents complaining about something. We looked at berkeley, cady lake, stone creek ranch, providence crossings - but found nothing that fit our requirements. We have now two possibilities one in Williamsburg subdivision on Williams Pond rd and one in Stone creek ranch which is in the area where all houses are all brick and upscale (nearer to Ardrey Kell rd). Does anyone have any advice on these communities? Williamsburg home is nice but would need some modernization including kitchen and master BA upgrades. SCR home is brand new and ready to move in. Would appreciate if anyone has an opinion or suggestion.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
I would be happy to send you a dm

Old 10-04-2011, 11:03 AM

62 posts, read 168,131 times
Stone Creek Ranch has everything you're looking for. I know several people in this neighborhood and they have nothing but positive things to say. The homes are well built and beautiful and the neighborhood amenities are great. It's a convenient location too, and Polo Ridge Elem. school is one of the newer schools in the area, and a very nice one.

Last edited by tiffanyj31; 10-04-2011 at 11:12 AM..

Old 10-04-2011, 01:58 PM

What's a DM?
Probably direct message that I saw in my inbox.
I think my realtor is fine it's just that if I scan through all available homes per our criteria I don't see much available. Maybe it is middle of the school year and not many homes put up for sale.
BTW, thanks for the feedback on SCR tiffanyj31.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:01 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,410,081 times
How did you settle on that particular area? What are your commute requirements?

If you're willing to look a bit further South or East you can likely open up a whole other group of communities and good public schools to consider.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:03 PM

JM Robinson is apparently the best rated middle school around South Charlotte. Our both kids will need it. So picked communities that are zoned for JMR. My office commute is going to be bad no matter what unless I choose Tega Cay. But didn't want SC schools or rather wanted magnet, charter or IB schools option if possible. Plus NC college eventually. I looked at Nottingham Estate. Price is good but overall houses are so so and closely packed.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:43 PM

445 posts, read 1,021,459 times
What type of ratings are you looking at for Crestdale. My daughter has several friends who have gone there and their parents seemed perfectly happy. They did have a very popular principal who was moved a few years back to a low-performing school, so some folks may have been a little unhappy, but I don't think it is a bad school at all. You may want to do some more research and perhaps visit the school. The numbers only tell so much ...

Old 10-05-2011, 05:36 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,169,269 times
stone creek ranch has a pretty high % of rentals. "Our realtor said it is somewhat new phenomenon to have community amenities". What???? It's time to question this statement and the integrity of this person. When you drive around, and you should because you're educated, you will see that many communities have these things you are looking for.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:02 AM

We visited Berkeley, Williamsburg, providence crossings and a few others I don't right away recall and none of them had amenities. Sure Cady Lake has the amenities but somehow we don't like the look of the subdivision and homes out there. Some communities, old and new have amenities but don't have the homes per our criteria. Anyway I would be happy to explore if you have any specific suggestion.

I think school ratings dot com or similar websites gave details of school and recent feedback from parents. My wife was taken aback w/ one recent alleged bullying incidence at the school in question. Well, we have no way to verify otherthan talk to the school. But you should understand, if one is doing househunting from 500 miles away, best one can do is research on internet, talk to realtor and friends like you to focus on a recommended area(s) so that as and when we are physically visit there we best utilize our time and energy to tour selected homes.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:03 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,410,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art434 View Post
JM Robinson is apparently the best rated middle school around South Charlotte. Our both kids will need it. So picked communities that are zoned for JMR. My office commute is going to be bad no matter what unless I choose Tega Cay. But didn't want SC schools or rather wanted magnet, charter or IB schools option if possible. Plus NC college eventually. I looked at Nottingham Estate. Price is good but overall houses are so so and closely packed.
JMR? Really? I think you'd get debate on that. HS wise I think Ardrey Kell or Providence are a great option so understand that part of it.

If you're looking for NC and need to commute to SC, why wouldn't you consider Western Union county? Marvin Ridge specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or