U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:15 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,232,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
actually, Peyton, the poster is correct. If a company has less than 15 employees, they do not have to follow any of the normal discrimination laws and CAN fire someone for any reason at all with no recourse for the employee.

that is a slap in the face to anyone who is used to being covered by protection laws in many other states.
I don't think this is quite correct. ‘Right to work’ has nothing to do with what Nylarc was told. As the link points out, 'right to work' means that joining a labor union is not required as a condition of employment for a job.

So, unless you belong to a union, are civil service employee or possibly have an employment contract, most people in the US have 'at will' employment.

I hate to break the false sense of security some people may have, but ‘at will’ employment means that your employer can fire you at anytime for cause or without cause (except in Montana) without recourse, as long as the firing was not illegal (refusing to perform illegal acts, reporting law violations-whistle blowing, leave for military service, or exercising legal rights).

On an employee’s side could be any company policies given to employees regarding company guidelines for dismissal. Also, very large employers have to let employees know of layoffs over a certain percentage of the company’s work force done at one time in advance, but there are obvious ways around that.

But the good news in all of this is that it also means that you can quit at any time.

In reference to the 15 or less employees, the Federal government as well as most states have a minimum number of employees level at which an employer does not have to follow any of the normal discrimination laws. So this can happen almost anywhere.

NC is like most states in that an employee's civil rights are protected based on age, race, sex, religion, national origin, color, disability or pregnancy via state and federal laws.
http://www.nclabor.com/wh/fact%20sheets/eaw.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 PM

38 posts, read 63,763 times
Moved from NY and love it. People are friendly. When you walk down the street a lot of times people say Hi! in passing. People actually let you in when turning onto a busy road. Don't miss the ice and snow! It's a nice "NYC" type city and is cosmopolitan and traveling is on a more reasonable scale. There are still traffic jams but nothing like the bridges and tunnels in NYC.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:32 AM

194 posts, read 366,800 times
I go outside all summer why would you need to stay cooped up inside for 4 months...thats a huge exaggeration! It is not that hot here in the summer....but winters up North...are freezing, thats when you stay inside for 5 months!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:18 AM

9,564 posts, read 8,847,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma67 View Post
I go outside all summer why would you need to stay cooped up inside for 4 months...thats a huge exaggeration! It is not that hot here in the summer....but winters up North...are freezing, thats when you stay inside for 5 months!
All in what you like. Women love the hot weather..its so funny. Still waiting for a male to say he loves the Charlotte summers..haven't seen one yet.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I don't know anything about NY, never having lived there, but I can tell you that here in CT we pay taxes on ours cars every year; we also have inspections/emission that have to be done on them every couple years. So NC doesn't sound too different from what I know (as far as car ownership goes).
Its exactly the same..you are right..having lived in both.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:38 AM

445 posts, read 678,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
All in what you like. Women love the hot weather..its so funny. Still waiting for a male to say he loves the Charlotte summers..haven't seen one yet.
As a former New Yorker living in NC the last 32 years, I can honestly say that I DO love the hot weather.

You can keep your winters with snow and such.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:43 AM

194 posts, read 366,800 times
I just can't understand why you would move SOUTH if you don't like hot weather, did no one tell you its hot here? And then once you move you spend all your time on city data complaining about it? Makes absolutely no sense and is very annoying. It sounds like certain people need to move back up north and get out there snow shovels and hats & gloves because thats what they like. I will stay in Charlotte and enjoy this fantastic 60 degree day in January

Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,874,320 times
Quote:
I will stay in Charlotte and enjoy this fantastic 60 degree day in January
It is snowing up to 3 inch accumulation today in good old northern IL. I am nice and happy over here in Charlotte. Just finished watering some flowers. I will NEVER move back.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
It is snowing up to 3 inch accumulation today in good old northern IL. I am nice and happy over here in Charlotte. Just finished watering some flowers. I will NEVER move back.
ahhh..you ladies just enjoy your hot southern summers.

And to answer the question..yea, I knew it was hot here, but it was cheaper and financially worth making the move so we gave it a shot anyway. Not a mistake , more of a life experience..going back just in time for summer will be a pleasure though. Oh, and snow never bothered me..I miss it in fact.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:55 AM

10,389 posts, read 19,346,157 times
Quote:
I just can't understand why you would move SOUTH if you don't like hot weather, did no one tell you its hot here? And then once you move you spend all your time on city data complaining about it? Makes absolutely no sense and is very annoying. It sounds like certain people need to move back up north and get out there snow shovels and hats & gloves because thats what they like. I will stay in Charlotte and enjoy this fantastic 60 degree day in January
Never mind the fact that there are other places besides Charlotte/NC to move to if you want to get out of NY (*gasp*!).

I read post after post that would truly give one the idea that the only choices in the universe are either 1) stay in NY/NJ or 2) move to NC (specifically Charlotte of Raleigh)--NOWHERE else exists, apparently! There are 47 other states, with varying types of weather, cost of living, opportunities, etc. If perfect weather is what you want, you should be on the West coast, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte