U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-09-2011, 11:03 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Reputation: 22375

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm not particularly interested in corporate America. It is what it is.

I've watched things erode over the years, not because of corporations breaking the law (They do it sometimes, but it isn't an epidemic.), but because the laws allow it.

I'm much more concerned with governments that are non-functional. There is a lack of jobs. It's known that companies are sitting on money & not hiring. This happened in the 70s & people who were unemployed couldn't get hired until the feds passed a law that gave them a tax credit for hiring the unemployed. Now the president has offered a similar plan. Why didn't he say that this has worked in the past? Why are the Republicans sitting around with their thumbs up the a$$es?

It's not corporate America as a whole & it's not unions as a whole. Yes, there are examples of bad corporations & bad union locals, but they are not bad as a whole. The problem is with legislators with agendas on the extreme right & extreme left.

Add in individuals whose personal greed helped to cause the current mess.
Absolutely. I think you probably speak for the majority of folks out there.

I think both parties are worthless right now, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2011, 11:05 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
He is an arrogant member of the US congress.
Oh. Someone who fits right in, then, lol - since my opinion is that most of them are too arrogant to come up with solutions that see beyond their own district or personal gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 11:06 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
I think the point was that we are so embedded in corporate America that we fail to see it on our own backs.
Yes, I believe you expressed that correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,613,654 times
Reputation: 3878
People are so blind to see that this ALL is about the money. The people who run wallstreet also are the ones running corporate america and all levels of government. It is not as simple as people want to portray it to be.

The average citizen is not "corporate america"' this is hogwash. When 2% of the population of this country holds 80% percent of the money in this country there is something terribly, terribly wrong and
people are so blind as to see it.

I hope you all enjoy being a serf for the feudal government as that is where we are quickly headed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 11:57 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 67,186,293 times
Reputation: 22375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
People are so blind to see that this ALL is about the money. The people who run wallstreet also are the ones running corporate america and all levels of government. It is not as simple as people want to portray it to be.

The average citizen is not "corporate america"' this is hogwash. When 2% of the population of this country holds 80% percent of the money in this country there is something terribly, terribly wrong and
people are so blind as to see it.

I hope you all enjoy being a serf for the feudal government as that is where we are quickly headed.
Kitty, altho you are right - it is all about the money - you are very very wrong when you say the average guy on the street is not "wall street." You are totally missing the point and therefore, wasting your effort cause you are jousting at the wrong target!

If you have a 401K, TSA, IRA, mutual funds, bonds . . . you ARE part of Wall Street. If you have a pension, you ARE part of Wall Street! And the growth of that investment is dependent on Wall Street!

And as far as this BS about "rich folks" . . . they ARE paying the bulk of taxes already! I don't care if you tax them some more! FINE WITH ME! But it isn't as tho they are not paying the bulk of taxes already - WITH MY POINT BEING . . . if it isn't enuff to cover all the gubment expenditures out there NOW - why on this god's green earth would you and others be incapable of seeing that taxing them even 50% more isn't gonna solve our deficit problems????? Taxing the "rich" (a misnomer for folks making $250K/year) . . . is not gonna raise TRILLIONS of dollars! Work it out on paper! But don't let me try to inject some reality into this discussion.

TAX 'EM! TAX 'EM at 90%!!! Seize their assets! See where it gets us all! IT IS NOT SOLUTION, but if it makes you feel like you have gotten back at the world for screwing you financially - DO IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 11:59 AM
 
841 posts, read 1,240,262 times
Reputation: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
+1

Hair dye by Clairol? LOL...

Does this mean that everyone who pays taxes approves of the job Washington is doing? This photo suggest the same thing... I guess if you are alive and breathing you approve of every tax, law, vote, budget etc that passes since you are functioning within our society.

How can one oppose Tarp or Government mismanagement of funds, laws, job losses, taxes if they still live in America?

Specious point. One is forced by LAW to pay taxes, whether you agree with what is done with it or not. You, however, have a choice of products to purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
People are so blind to see that this ALL is about the money. The people who run wallstreet also are the ones running corporate america and all levels of government. It is not as simple as people want to portray it to be.
Actually your thoughts on what you believe to be going on is the point of view that is overly simplistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,613,654 times
Reputation: 3878
ani,

Where have I said "tax 'em more?"

Where have I said " any of this is about the deficit." Or that I have mentioned the deficit is what they are protesting at all?

Where have I said " I have been financially screwed and I want to get back at anyone?"

Where have I said anything about attending these protests? Or joustingwith anyone?


You haven't, (you are putting words in my mouth) you are totally off base here and obviously are missing the entire point of the whole protest to begin with.




Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Kitty, altho you are right - it is all about the money - you are very very wrong when you say the average guy on the street is not "wall street." You are totally missing the point and therefore, wasting your effort cause you are jousting at the wrong target!

If you have a 401K, TSA, IRA, mutual funds, bonds . . . you ARE part of Wall Street. If you have a pension, you ARE part of Wall Street! And the growth of that investment is dependent on Wall Street!

And as far as this BS about "rich folks" . . . they ARE paying the bulk of taxes already! I don't care if you tax them some more! FINE WITH ME! But it isn't as tho they are not paying the bulk of taxes already - WITH MY POINT BEING . . . if it isn't enuff to cover all the gubment expenditures out there NOW - why on this god's green earth would you and others be incapable of seeing that taxing them even 50% more isn't gonna solve our deficit problems????? Taxing the "rich" (a misnomer for folks making $250K/year) . . . is not gonna raise TRILLIONS of dollars! Work it out on paper! But don't let me try to inject some reality into this discussion.

TAX 'EM! TAX 'EM at 90%!!! Seize their assets! See where it gets us all! IT IS NOT SOLUTION, but if it makes you feel like you have gotten back at the world for screwing you financially - DO IT!

Last edited by sundrop; 10-09-2011 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,613,654 times
Reputation: 3878
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
Specious point. One is forced by LAW to pay taxes, whether you agree with what is done with it or not. You, however, have a choice of products to purchase.



Actually your thoughts on what you believe to be going on is the point of view that is overly simplistic.

It is not about what I believe to be going on, it is what IS going on. Read and learn some history of this country and those who have been a major part. All of it is far from being simplistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
9,114 posts, read 15,677,355 times
Reputation: 3695
CK, I'm really confused about what people like yourself specifically want to happen to big corporations...?

Are you advocating breaking them up? More government regulations?

If so, which companies? What are the guidelines??? Will it be mandatory or voluntary to follow?

I'm not being sarcastic, I just want to understand the specifics on what you want done and how you think it will benefit society
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,613,654 times
Reputation: 3878
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
CK, I'm really confused about what people like yourself specifically want to happen to big corporations...?

Are you advocating breaking them up? More government regulations?

If so, which companies? What are the guidelines??? Will it be mandatory or voluntary to follow?

I'm not being sarcastic, I just want to understand the specifics on what you want done and how you think it will benefit society

What makes you ask that? I haven't even gone down that road. What I have said is when the balance of who holds the money in this country is what it is, there is a huge problem. Huge. There is a huge imbalance in this country.

There is no huge corporate overhaul in my posts. There are many people in this country who have been lead down paths of ruin all in the name of greed. it is sad and disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:32 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top